Thread: From an Army Ranger

Default From an Army Ranger

I would like everyone to view this, you dont have to, though i would appreciate it.

YouTube - From an Army Rangers mouth about Iraq

Pretty god, but a bit over the top I think. I mean the way they present it, not what the guy said. Personally I want this "war" to be won but I have no idea how long it will take. I can not express enough feelings or sorry for anyone who gave up their lives in order to complete their mission and to help people they never even knew to be free from a oppressive and sadistic ruler such as Saddam Hussian.

However what I can express is how grateful I am for people that are willing to not only defend their own country's free, but another one's.

I always respect those who serve the military. They have a tough job and I have always respected those who serve the military because both my grandparents served the military proudly during WWII. I always give a nod of respect when I see someone in a US military uniform. Plus, I have a friend who just enlisted into the US Navy.

WildThing121675

Wow... I'm speaking as an OIF Army vet's wife. My husband did 3 tours in Iraq. My perception on the whole thing is a little different but not meant in any way to offend.

I'm glad that, that guy, was passionate about his job and thinks that had a soul purpose over there...

However, go back and think about September 11th. Bush wanted to launch an all out war on terrorists... this wasn't about weapons of mass destruction yet, it wasn't about Saddam yet, it wasn't about setting up another country's government yet. All it was about at that time was simple... revenge. No one is going to attack our country like that, we are fighting back.

Well the people that flew the planes were dead so we couldn't go after them, so we'll find whoever put the orders out... and the great hunt for Bin Laden began...

Then, all of the sudden, Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, so we need to go after Saddam and get those out of there... they still haven't found any weapons of mass destruction... my theory on it? They don't exist there.

Next, Saddam is a horrible leader, is running his country all wrong and we are going to take him down. I agree that he is a horrible leader and did horrible things to people, I'm not arguing that.

So Saddam gets taken down and this country is all f*cked up because, we went in hunting terrorists, then weapons of mass destructions that just some how couldn't be found, then we took out the country's leader... Opps, maybe we should help them out because we came in and made a mess of the life that they were used to... and that turns into the new purpose.

You can't win a war when there's no focus on what exactly you are fighting for. Look back in history at wars that have been won. The war between the North and the South: free the slaves, WWII: take down Hilter and free the jews... Specific goals... what is the specific goal of Operation Iraqi Freedom??? Free the Iraqi's??? From what? Saddam? Fine, mission accomplished but this war broke out because of 9.11, not because Bush had compassion in his heart for the Iraqi people and wanted to help them.

And from the stories I've heard, some people want our help and some don't, but how do you back away from a country that you have gone in and made a total mess of?

Do I support our troops? Absolutely. Do I support the war and what they are fighting for??? I can't say whether I do or do not, when the cause is so absolutely unclear.

I think that the guy in the clip had jumped on the latest US government band wagon and that's fine, I think that made him do his job with all of his heart. But the title of the clip was From the Mouth of an Army Ranger... as if that's the way the general military thinks... it's not. Many don't know why they are there and what they are fighting for.

Again, not meant to offend, just my pov.

Note that the person never stated that he was supportive of the war in the first place.

In retrospect, almost everyone can say that the initial invasion was a huge mistake. The intelligence was faulty, the decision was biased by personal feelings in the highest echelons of power, and the military was initially not given the tools needed to secure post-Saddam Iraq.

However, this being said, it would have been just as large a mistake to withdraw. Withdrawing with the Iraqi government weak and it's army undisciplined would have lead to open civil war, the destruction of the democratic Iraqi government, and lord knows what else would come of it.

This is what he was getting at. He had worked and seen friends killed for the progress that came to Iraq. Because, through all the killing, the roadside bombs, and the mass graves, Iraq got better. Perhaps not better then Saddam's era, but certainly better then the immediate post invasion reality. He doesn't want his work, and his friend's work, to be tossed aside by an opposition party wanting to score points (which they did quite successfully) with the antiwar crowd.

Lo and behold, a year after his broadcast, no one talks about Iraq. It certainly wasn't an issue during the later stages of the presidential election. A combination of the surge, the Sunni awakening movement, and other factors combined to make Iraq much more stable then it was just a year before. We, as the United States, are finally beginning to see returns from the amount of US blood and treasure that has been spent. It's not over yet, but we can finally see the finish line.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    I'm glad that, that guy, was passionate about his job and thinks that had a soul purpose over there...

However, go back and think about September 11th. Bush wanted to launch an all out war on terrorists... this wasn't about weapons of mass destruction yet, it wasn't about Saddam yet, it wasn't about setting up another country's government yet. All it was about at that time was simple... revenge. No one is going to attack our country like that, we are fighting back.
    That's the way I felt. Besides wanting revenge I was angry and worried it would happen again soon which got me thinking maybe we better take the fight to the terrorists.

Well the people that flew the planes were dead so we couldn't go after them, so we'll find whoever put the orders out... and the great hunt for Bin Laden began...

Then, all of the sudden, Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, so we need to go after Saddam and get those out of there... they still haven't found any weapons of mass destruction... my theory on it? They don't exist there.
    Yeah that weapons of mass destruction excuse was lame but I'm glad we're there going after anyone that is involved in or supports terrorism and I hope we stay till the job is as done as it can be with troops then we'll have to fight it on a different level. Terrorism is not going away anytime soon.

My Grandfather served in the Navy and fought during the battle of Normandy, my father was a medic in the Air force during Vietnam. I myself am doing some physical training with the Marine Corps. so I can hopefully serve when I get out of high school. I asked my father one day, after watching a documentary on the Vietnam war, "Dad, why did we lose?" I expected him to say that our technology was inefficient, or that the troops didn't want to be there, or that the President didn't know what he was doing. You know what he told me? "Because we gave up". He looked at it as a mission a mission to be completed. No giving in, no excuses.

There is no soldier there who doesn't know what's going on. as my dad says "You're commanding officer will tell you what to do, and you're going to like it because he tells you to like it." There's no confusion, just the mission, and you had better get it done. I hate to quote Rush Limbaugh because he's a maniac, but he really hits home sometimes. If I remember correctly, he said that people claim they don't hate the soldiers, but the war. He claimed that the soldiers are the war. And after hearing that clip, that quote really struck me. The soldiers aren't ignorant victims , they are brave, selfless human beings liberating a country they have no stake in. I'm proud of my country and everything our troops are doing. Hopefully someday I will have the honor to serve as a Marine, and help to complete this mission.