Best wicking under pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndresMommy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
Looking for the best diaper for a heavy wetting, back sleeping male. I've tried almost everything, but it seems like even the high end diapers leak out the crotch before the back is wet. The one exception I've found is the Northshore Supreme, but on really heavy wetting nights, even they don't hold enough. I've tried boosters, but they seem to make the leaks even worse. Any ideas, other than cloth?

Well, you are already using the padding that I would recommend. There is no other product out there that wicks as evenly, as well, or holds under pressure like the NorthShore Supremes. The use of boosters can cause leaking in three ways in my experience:

1) The thickness of the booster either before or after saturation can greatly diminish the effect of standing leak guards. They can actually neutralize them completely if they are too thick or the leak guards to short.
2) Booster do not tend to cope with flooding AT ALL. If you are urinating too much too quickly you will overwhelm the absorption rate of just about any padding, but especially high SAP diapers (top shelf brands) and boosters.
3) Simply time to change. It may be that you have underestimated the amount of urine released over time and have finally reached the limit of your products.

To try and be of more help, some more information could be useful. Does "heavy wetting" mean that you are releasing a filled to bursting bladder suddenly? Or do you mean that you have a higher volume void than what most would consider normal? Do you wet incrementally in fast spurts, leak constantly over time, or full releases? Is the product the right size for you? Are you at the upper or lower extreme in the size range for your diaper? Is your booster pad too wide, long, or thick for your diaper? Are you applying the diaper correctly ensuring a good fit (NorthShores specifically have an application instruction you won't find on any other diaper, and it makes a HUGE difference in their product)? If you are using this product for sleep and are a bedwetter, are you making sure the product is dry before going to bed?

If you could shed some more light on the actual usage and corresponding points of failure, we might be able to zero in on a solution for ya!

Maybe try doubling up and cutting the inner diaper. Towels. Plastic pants might work if it's a weak point in the diaper's crotch tightness.

---
Edit
Is restricting his movement out of the question?

More info...

It's for bedwetting/incontinence. Changed right before bedtime.

On large volume of fluid intake for medical reasons. I.e. can't change timing or amount of fluid intake to lessen volume overnight.

Flooding, not small amounts over time.

I am familiar with how diapers should fit, and they fit fine...except for dry 24/7...their large sizing doesn't work well. And, I know to stretch and fold NorthShores.

I've tried various sizes of boosters, with no luck. Probably due to the flooding/leakguard problem.

I've tried double diapering, including poking holes in the inner diaper. I can get closer to a solution this way, but still haven't found the right combo, especially one that doesn't cost $5-$6 per night.

I always use a bedpad, which, of course, protects the bed but doesn't prevent being covered in urine.

Something like a NorthShore Supreme which held even more would be perfect. I'm trying to avoid getting up in the middle of the night to change and disrupting sleep.

Have you tried the ABU Space diaper? They also now have a plain white version of it called the Simple. It's probably the most absorbent diaper on the market today.

AndresMommy said:
More info...

It's for bedwetting/incontinence. Changed right before bedtime.

Flooding, not small amounts over time.

I've tried various sizes of boosters, with no luck. Probably due to the flooding/leakguard problem.

I've tried double diapering, including poking holes in the inner diaper. I can get closer to a solution this way, but still haven't found the right combo, especially one that doesn't cost $5-$6 per night.

Something like a NorthShore Supreme which held even more would be perfect. I'm trying to avoid getting up in the middle of the night to change and disrupting sleep.

Well my friend you have two things going against you; large volumes and instantaneous full void, they are on opposite ends of the diaper spectrum. Disposables, by a vast majority, fall into two categories of performance based on padding makeup. Fast absorption, and large volume absorption. The more your diaper can hold over long periods the less capable it is with a large volume void or flooding. Boosters generally don't help with flooding either as they too are made for volume not speed. Your boosters are going to be the weak point in your combo as a flood will flow across the surface like a river with very little being absorbed and the extra height of the booster nullifying or weakening the standing leak guards capabilities.

Your selection of NorthShores is actually one of the best diapers out there as far as performance by volume AND speed...you just need more speed. A diaper with little to no SAP absorbs liquid MUCH faster, those diapers are usually MUCH cheaper as well and don't hold nearly as much as your NorthShore will. I do have an idea that may seem counter intuitive at first, but I urge you to consider it and even try it out.

The NorthShore provides adequate protection if given enough time but it's not fast enough. Cost is a consideration, which is good because this solution is cheap. You should double diaper. But NOT with another NorthShore or ANY high end diaper. You need to double up with a STORE BRAND as your base diaper, Certainty is good choice. Select a WELL FITTING size and make your slits on the diaper (3 or 4) running from the very front to the very back and diaper up well. Over that, wear your NorthShore as normal making sure to keep the base layer diaper within the bounds of the NorthShore. You can even still use a booster (between the two diapers) if you still need more absorption.

The Certainty is a fast absorber, very fast. It will NOT hold very much by volume or under pressure and it presses out easily, but these are the qualities that you need to introduce to your night time protection. This diaper is used to stem flood as it were. The Certainty will absorb and spread quickly, the slits will allow for a lot of pass through and fairly quickly but no where near as fast as a direct flood. The Certainty slows down the volume of fluid introduced to your high capacity outer layer, allowing it to keep up with your void.

If you can get the combo fitted correctly, it works well. I know it works well for me when I'm having full instantaneous voids. It's worth a shot and it's a much cheaper solution than adding another high end diaper (which won't help you out).

I just tried some inspire + diapers from Rearz as a possiable replacement for my Dry 24/7's and I have to say they wick way better then any other diaper I have tried. For fit I still prefer the sizing of dry 24/7's as I wear a medium but with the Inspire,it's a large due to the smaller cut they use .

The ABU Simples should hold up. I tried leaking in them and they held what would have caused me to change twice with the M4s. Then they had more space but I changed because I couldn't beleive how much they held. You can get a sample of Space diapers which are the Simples with print to try them.

If you're leaking out the crotch you might want to try changing your taping methods.

I use a L4 Abena at night with a 1000ml + booster with two cuts down the centre. No leaks in 12 hours. You work it out.

Thanks for all of the ideas!

I have tried the Space diaper, a sample of two. Both times, it did pretty much what every other high end diaper did...the front and crotch were saturated, the back barely wet, and it leaked. Maybe not as much leakage as other diapers, but still a significant amount.

I have tried double diapering with a cheap diaper inside the NorthShore Supreme. Tried it again last night. There wasn't enough flow through in spite of a lot of holes in the inner diaper. Maybe this would work with a different cheap diaper with more pulp. I'll pick up a pack of the Certainty diapers next time I'm in Walgreens.

This is the second time that I have heard that the new Rearz diapers (Inspire+ InControl and Safari) wick well plus have a high capacity. Living in the US, they are really expensive. Right now they want $36 just for shipping a case of 36 diapers, plus the cost of the diapers. I might have to bite the bullet and try them, though.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing that I forgot to mention that adds to the leakage issues is that the head of the bed is somewhat elevated for medical reasons. So, while I said "back sleeper", it's actually a semi-reclined cross between laying down and sitting up.

AndresMommy said:
One thing that I forgot to mention that adds to the leakage issues is that the head of the bed is somewhat elevated for medical reasons. So, while I said "back sleeper", it's actually a semi-reclined cross between laying down and sitting up.

I'd bet that's statistically about the least likely position to leak in.

I wanna go out on a limb and say that a few hours before bed should be no no time for drinks. :smile1:

I'm trying the new betterdry m10. So far it looks great 😇.. I'm peed several times but still my pantihouses is dry 👩.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok..now they wet so I have to change. But this time I have my pull pants on.��.

Have you tried tucking? From what you've said about the front and crotch being saturated and the back dry, it implies that you're not. If I'm laying on my back, not tucked, and release a flood I have problems with the liquid leaking around the waistband and both sides. If I tuck, the liquid is deposited directly in the crotch and flows down. Then it will slowly wick up the front. Being semi-reclined, I don't know if that will work or if you'll just wind up with a dry front and it still leaks. When using disposables, I also use the 'cheap diaper inside a premium diaper' method. However, I have to admit that I get the best results from cloth plus plastic (or PUL) pants.

This problem with leaking around the inner thighs is something I've been working on for a while now. There's something about the shape or size of my legs or waist that causes a problem. I find that the medium sizes don't rise up high enough for my preference or even functionality when sleeping because they invite leaks out the top. Large is usually what I buy. I've found that Dry 24/7 will leak quite often at my inner legs, long before they should have. Northshore Supremes are less likely to leak, but they too will fail there eventually. I have mixed feelings on boosters. I think they can make this worse but when I weigh the diapers I find that there's a lot more liquid retained and yet I'm relatively dry.

Back to medium vs. large for a minute: I got a pack of Northshore AirSupreme mediums recently and I hadn't used their mediums before. Because the tapes make contact way out at the sides of my legs, I was able to get a very good seal around my legs. I wore one for about 6 or 7 hours one day while working in the yard as I thought it would be nice to not have to find somewhere to pee every 30 minutes. No booster was used, I'm pretty sure. Until then, I'd never had a diaper be able to be soaked all the way up the back having used its entire capacity. I've repeated that experiment a few times and had no leaks and I can only say that no others were quite as soaked, but it was always a deal where it was time to take a shower or something so I had to abort.

Now, here's how I deal with keeping my bed dry. I output between 32 and 80+ ounces at night in my typical 5 to 6 hours of sleep. Well, I guess the diaper is probably in place for up to 8 hours. I weigh it afterwards quite often so I know how it performed. I use size large with a 2xl Northshore booster with the "wings" still folded placed down the middle and 2 Northshore large boosters starting from front center and extending out to each side. Then it's GaryWear active briefs PUL pants with another large booster placed in there to soak up any leaks that reach that point (often stays dry and gets reused a few times until it gets wet). Then Under Armour boxer briefs on top of all that to keep me comfortable and to wick anything that gets past the other layers. The Northshore will almost always begin to leak by around 5+ pounds on the scale (this starts at 1 pound dry).

I've recently started using the ABU Simple diapers. Wow. Very hard to make them leak in the above configuration and I've had one exceed 8 pounds, or what I would estimate to be around 110+ ounces. That landing strip lets me get the tapes a lot tighter and they don't loosen up as easily because the landing strip doesn't stretch. I've had the center booster get so swollen that it seems to have forced a leak a couple times, so I'm going to start using a smaller or no booster in the center. I just have a lot of the 2xl in stock and want to use them up. I ordered 2 cases of the ABUs recently so I'll be using these a lot this year for sure.

I also want to say that I have no choice but to drink a lot of fluid before bed so I understand your problem with that. It would be nice to shut down the liquid intake but I can't.

Just remembered another thing: If I pull the bottom tapes upward like people say to do, it opens a gap in the front. I actually have to have the bottom tapes horizontal or even angled DOWN.

Prefolds are another option to look at. You'll get the best possible wicking performance in a diaper. Then you can customize the thickness until it fits your needs.

I also religiously wear a form fitting onesie over my diaper (disposables and cloth) with a pair of compression underwear over that. It keeps the diaper snugly in place, and helps with sagging and drooping that lead to gaps.

BabyMitchy said:
I wanna go out on a limb and say that a few hours before bed should be no no time for drinks. :smile1:

but where's the fun in waking up in the morning in a dry diaper??!

bambinod said:
but where's the fun in waking up in the morning in a dry diaper??!

I don't particularly mind, provided I have the time to wet and enjoy a bit upon waking. They're generally good either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back