Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All men are creepy rapists! (TW-Rape)

Default All men are creepy rapists! (TW-Rape)

Trigger warning: Rape!

Before I delve into the subject of this thread, let me state some facts I stand by. The security of women is tantamount and much more significant than the ego of men. Rape is indeed a real problem in our society. One that breaks hearts, shatters families, and ruins lives. Girls are taught that the way they dress dictate: whether they get raped or not when boys should be taught when no means no. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with all those points I listed. I completely sympathize with those who were victims of such an atrocious act of savagery. My one problem is the generalization that has come out of this: all men are creepy rapists.

Take today for example. I'm surfing Tumblr when I reblog a post I like. A few minutes later I get a message from the original poster of the post. "Hi, can you please not reblog my stuff and don't talk to me." My curiosity has been piqued. Why inflict such treatment on me when I didn't do anything wrong? I ask this person, a female, why I'm all of a sudden treated like a creep when I never even done anything to suggest such assumption. I tell her all I was doing was hitting the reblog button with no malicious intentions. If she was worried about her material being spread, I would have taken the actions accordingly if she had specified her intentions. Instead, she told me to not interact with her as she does not tolerate interaction with males online. Again, I'm flummoxed by this as I have not done anything wrong (as I believe) but then she posts my profile on her page and says I'm being a creeper who isn't taking no for an answer, and all of a sudden I get an influx of hate mail saying I'm a creeper and a rapist who just wants the user for sex and I'm stalking her. I only hit the reblog button from something she posted. Never did I send nudes or solicit nudes from her and she's acting like I did. I get into a debate with one of the users who was supporting this girl and I get called a rape supporter simply because I don't understand why I'm being ostracized. "Your ego is far more important than women's safety and people like you cause rape." How? I'm seriously confused by this to the point I can't stop prodding their logic behind this. Eventually I get blocked by both parties involved and turned off from any idea of even getting on Tumblr.

So my question is: do you think generalizing all males as potential rapists and creeps is justified and if yes, explain why? Was I right in my judgment that the entire situation was an overreaction or was I in the wrong for being curious about their logic and quote "not taking no for an answer"? As my closing statement, I wish to say as an asexual male of the human species, I really do understand the paranoia behind the rape potential but I honestly don't think generalizing all men as creepy rapists and ignoring their existence even as insignificant as a reblog or like button is justified. If I come out of this labeled as a "creepy rapist" or a "rape supporter" then fine. All I want to know is why the generalization of men as rapists is socially acceptable and what can we do to fix this extremist stance?

I think she over reacted but the argument could b made that she simply asked that u not interact or however she phrased it and u werent happy to oblige her request, sure u wernt doing anything wrong and its her bad for not taking precautions to prevent her content being reblogged if she doesnt want this to happen but i supose from her point of view she askd u to persist and u decided to continue on interacting with her...hence forth i think she initially over-reacted but then u brought on the rest of it urself by kindva prodding sum1 who is clearly a bit OTT/ drama queen.
    Dont get me wrong im not saying u desrved to b called a rape supporter thats all just so silly but i just mean that some people do over react and love an online drama so to avoid it i wud just hav obliged the girls request in the first place if i wanted to b repectful of her wishes.
    Hope u dont think im having a go..... just trying to see it from another perspective.... like if u poke a tiger u get a sore hand lol

My guess, and only a guess, is if it was her in the picture, maybe it was something she did and regretted. Perhaps an old bf took advantage of her when she was drunk or high and too a compromising picture of her or a friend. As we all know, once it's on a public site, it can perpetuate forever. She may have been messing with you, but otoh, there may be more to the story.

Certainly you are not a rapist nor are guys in general. There are some guys out there that give us nice ones a bad name.

I misread. Just a post, not a picture? I believe she was messing with you. Probably bored and looking for fun. Also, she may have had a bad experience with a previous post and maybe she is sensitive to her posts being reblogged. Don't worry about it and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    My guess, and only a guess, is if it was her in the picture, maybe it was something she did and regretted. Perhaps an old bf took advantage of her when she was drunk or high and too a compromising picture of her or a friend. As we all know, once it's on a public site, it can perpetuate forever. She may have been messing with you, but otoh, there may be more to the story.

Certainly you are not a rapist nor are guys in general. There are some guys out there that give us nice ones a bad name.

I misread. Just a post, not a picture? I believe she was messing with you. Probably bored and looking for fun. Also, she may have had a bad experience with a previous post and maybe she is sensitive to her posts being reblogged. Don't worry about it and move on.
    Women are powerful. They have more than freedom in the 21st century. They have absolute power. One word and your life can be screwed.

I am 110% for equality. I do though resent the fact that if I go out with a friend, I have to watch everything I say to the wait staff or other women there. I am by nature a nice guy, I tip well, I am friendly and conversational. I have to watch what I say now. Cause lord knows being chivalrous is basically "rape." Thankfully, I have never been accused of it online or otherwise.

I am a rape survivor. But I DO NOT look at every man as a potential rapist. I roll my eyes at women how think and act this way. I do agree that there is a fair amount of inequalities for both genders. for example how often are male victims of rape dismissed?

Quote Originally Posted by DaddiesLittleKitten View Post
    I am a rape survivor. But I DO NOT look at every man as a potential rapist. I roll my eyes at women how think and act this way. I do agree that there is a fair amount of inequalities for both genders. for example how often are male victims of rape dismissed?
    Tell me about it. Freshman year of high school, a girl and her friends drag me into a room with no cameras in my school and she forced herself on me. She said if I were to say anything, she'd claim that I raped her, even though it was the other way around (as in I was violated against my will). Now for those thinking "hey, why didn't you get them off of you?" Well I was a short guy freshman year and was taught never to harm a woman. It was horrible. She eventually did get expelled and all, but that was it. Some guys would joke about me being a "girl's b----." I eventually settled the score with them on an open mat night for the wrestling team. Still though, men can be the victim, and it is almost as bad as it is for a woman, because for us, we are literally either seen as a laughing stock or a perverted liar by our peers.

MarchinBunny

This is essentially why many people these days want nothing to do with feminism. A pretty large portion of it had turned into a sexist movement rather than a movement for equality. It's honestly pretty sad that it has gone this far.

Girls are taught that the way they dress dictate: whether they get raped or not when boys should be taught when no means no.
    Personally, I never likes this. It's impossible to control everyone to the point that it's a guarantee you will not be raped. Just like we can't guarantee you won't run into a murderer, thief, or any sort of criminal. When people tell women that their clothes matter, it's because people are just trying to offer ways to lessen that person's chances of being seen as a target. It's no different than telling people they probably should lock their door. It's merely a precaution. I mean ... you don't have to if you don't want to. But I would consider it pretty foolish for a person to think they should not have to do these things. Sorry, but yes ... you should. We don't live in some fantasy world where everything is all sunshine and butterflies, and everyone gets along frolicking in a field of flowers under double rainbows.

Quote Originally Posted by BinkyBoi View Post
    ...Instead, she told me to not interact with her as she does not tolerate interaction with males online...
    Danger! Danger! Danger! Don't say anything more to her!

For whatever reason, this person does not want to speak to you. Any more is unwelcome. I treat people like that as if they were scared animals that might bite me: I leave them alone.
    Sometimes, especially online, the best thing you can say is less.

To answer your question: I disagree with the characterization of all males as potential sex criminals. Speaking for myself as a member of the XY camp, I wouldn't consider doing that or endorsing that. I agree with you that the person in question was probably overreacting... stuff posted to a blog is mostly fair game for reblog, with the exception of pictures of the poster. I lastly think that sometimes the best thing you can do is accept that some people will not like you, and some will not like your gender, and that it's best to accept that and not debate with them about it or they might bite you.
    Last edited by YankeeFox; 01-Jan-2016 at 02:20. Reason: can't get my words right e.e

This is a silly question, from my perspective. Of course I mean no disrespect to you, for asking it, but it seems so childish to generalize approximately 50% of the population with any amount of accuracy. Whomever responded to you was no doubt only looking to 'Troll' or they were a misguided adolescent looking for attention from their 'followers'. It was an overreaction, from what I can tell. Perhaps they experienced something in their lives to make them think otherwise, as I have always believed that we are all merely a result of our experiences. Maybe their experiences warranted this kind of precaution. However, I couldn't even imagine what kind of terrible things would have had to happen for them to screen every single person who rebloggs their content just to discriminate them based on gender. With the somewhat recent push that the LGBT community has made, assuming someone's gender, and becoming so hostile seems almost unexpected, especially considering the website in question.

Quote Originally Posted by BinkyBoi View Post
    I'm surfing Tumblr
    This is what the real problem boils down to. There's nothing actually wrong with Tumblr, or the people who use it on an individual basis, however the community that tumblr has become known for in the past few years is full of this sort of stuff. "Social Justice Warriors" patrolling the internet looking for someone to victimize them, my advice is to ignore the user and their supporters, They'll tire of it eventually, maybe even grow up someday.

In the real world, the controversy here is nonexistent, generally speaking, both men, and woman of western civilizations, anyway, understand that overpowering an individual for any kind of sexual gratification is bad. I've never encountered, nor has anyone I've encountered witnessed anyone who thinks all men are rapists, nor do I hear frequent media coverage in my area about such terrible acts.

Anyway, that's only the way I see it, from my limited perspective, perhaps the experiences of others has lead them to come to different conclusions, but I just don't see the debate here.

This is why I'm only involved on this site, no Tumblr, no Reddit, no Facebook. None of it. Isn't it ironic that one of the most rational sites on the net is this one, and we're all parading around wearing diapers and other baby attire.

The bigger problem is that at least half of the population are complete idiots. You unfortunately ran into one of them. Maybe she was young, 16, 12, 3? Her maturity level is about 6 years old. Maybe she was high, drunk....stupid? I suppose stupid is the given. She's a bitch, so let it go. Next time when someone asks you to decease and desist, do so immediately by blocking them first.

As for rape, I've been raped several times, all by males. It happened when guys at college would get me passing out drunk. The last was by my boss. We were on tour and he made sure I was housed with him and his other gay buddies. He came at me when I was in bed and half asleep, and though I told him to stop, he continued and I let it happen because I needed my job and the measly pay check that went with my church (churches don't always practice Christianity) job.

The world has wonderful, brave, courageous people, and it also has monsters. I'm older now and I make it a point to shoot the monsters, figuratively speaking. I'm slow to make new friends and have trust issues. I trust the internet less. Real life waits for all of us, so spend your quality time there.