Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dream Identity

Default Dream Identity

Normally I am myself in all my dreams. I only remember one occasion where I was someone else in a dream. It became my fondest nightmare. When I was a middle aged man I had a dream in which I was a teenage girl. There was no sense of surprise or disbelief with this situation. I was a girl with no awareness at all of my male identity. This girl came complete with a background history to round out this sense of female identity and personality.

I was just curious how common this might be. It only happened to me once that I am aware of.

Comments?

The question is have we ever been not ourselves in a dream? Yes and no, I suppose. I've been older and younger in dreams and I have been the opposite gender a couple times. I've also had dreams that were more incorporeal, where I wasn't really present and was observing some kind of phenomenon from a distance (I recall one where my perspective was some sort of floating camera following some people river rafting quite distinctly). I imagine it's fairly common for the mind to wander beyond the corporeal in dreams.

In the dreams that i remember after waking up, i've always been my own identity and gender. I do have dreams where i'm just observing while present or like i'm watching a movie.

MarchinBunny

I find dreams can take place anywhere, and can take place as anyone. I have had dreams of being a vampire in the vampire diaries universe. I have had dreams of being some sort of agent trying to take down and evil organization. I have had dreams of being back in like the year 1300 XD. I have had dreams of being myself and being abducted by aliens or being swooped up by a tornado.

I will say .. most of my dreams though play out kinda like a movie. In fact ... I get pissed if I wake up without having some sort of ending XD. If I could I would eat popcorn while dreaming lol.

Quote Originally Posted by brabbit1987 View Post
    I find dreams can take place anywhere, and can take place as anyone. I have had dreams of being a vampire in the vampire diaries universe. I have had dreams of being some sort of agent trying to take down and evil organization. I have had dreams of being back in like the year 1300 XD. I have had dreams of being myself and being abducted by aliens or being swooped up by a tornado.

I will say .. most of my dreams though play out kinda like a movie. In fact ... I get pissed if I wake up without having some sort of ending XD. If I could I would eat popcorn while dreaming lol.
    The same with mine, I'm usually the same in my dreams, but I find that my dreams usually take place in a cartoon environment with real life backgrounds, if that makes scene.

I just remembered another opposite gender dream. In it I checked out my reflection in a plate glass window and saw a woman and thought "ok, looks good", as if it was perfectly normal. Maybe if I poke around the cobwebs long enough I will remember more.

It seems to be pretty easy for the brain to conjure up alternate personalities. I wonder how close dreams are to psychotic episodes. Think of all the conversations you've had with other people in your dreams. In essence, you are hearing voices that appear to have a will of their own. Some other part of your mind appears to be carrying on a conversation with the "self" you identify with, and you can't predict exactly what it is going to say. Sometimes the words are quite surprising. Even though you are only dreaming you still have a sense of self awareness as the observer in your dream, and the others in your dream appear to have a mind of their own, capable of speech and actions beyond your control. Is the "self" just one part of the mind?

On a lighter note, I often hear that we dream in black and white. I dream in color. How about you?

Dreams generally are a representation of you subconcious, trying to send you messages, in most cases (dream Interpretation) dreams have meanings, it is your minds way of speaking with you on a normal (well not quite normal) level.
    For example, and probably the best example i can give, AB/DL dream a lot about being babies and or in diapers, how many non AB/DL do you think dream of this. none..
    if you have accepted who you are your dreams of diapers and Being a baby will be stronger, then they are when you do not, I have found from experience, that before i accepted mysefl most of my AB dreams, where of me being caught, and ashamed, now when i dream they are more along the lines of living with this, being a baby to a family and such.. (normally my own family)

Some really strong dreams, as i have mentioned before, can be messages, by strong i mean, dreams that actually give you a feeling, or have strong smells that you can actually distinguish.

Dreams are a very difficult area to understand, someone once mentioned that with training you can actually control your dreams, and have things happen that you want happen, (a bit like in the nightmare on elmstreet where the boy turns himself into a superhere to fight Freddy), i have this ability somewhat, but its normally only in my nightmares, which are few and far between, then i just want to wake up, which i can do without problems.

Last night was another night i had a really strange (well i dont know if it was a dream) i was asleep, and i heard someone say HELP, it sounded like it was in my room, and it woke me up.. Just as i was dozing off, i heard it again.. but their is only me in my place.
    to cut a long story short, my father (who suffers a lot of strokes) fell last night, at around 3am this morning, and couldnt get back up, he was shouting help for a while before someone assisted him.. Now just be be aware, my father lives almost 900KM away from me..

dreams are very special.

In some dreams you can also have out of body experiences, in other words, your sole/spirit, leaves the body and travels, This is one reason for your floating or observing dreams, You could potentially be observing someone actually doing what you see.. (in the case of above, the river rafting, did you know the location, or the people) If not this could have been one of these dreams.. (somewhat like Insidius (without the demon lol))
    i have done this myself, willingly, not through dream though.. if you know what to do you can do stuff like tell whats on a table.. etc.

Your mind never rests, it doesn't need sleep, its your body that sleeps, your mind continually works, which is why you have dreams.

BabyLea

MarchinBunny

Quote Originally Posted by babylea View Post
    Dreams generally are a representation of you subconcious, trying to send you messages, in most cases (dream Interpretation) dreams have meanings, it is your minds way of speaking with you on a normal (well not quite normal) level.
    For example, and probably the best example i can give, AB/DL dream a lot about being babies and or in diapers, how many non AB/DL do you think dream of this. none..
    if you have accepted who you are your dreams of diapers and Being a baby will be stronger, then they are when you do not, I have found from experience, that before i accepted mysefl most of my AB dreams, where of me being caught, and ashamed, now when i dream they are more along the lines of living with this, being a baby to a family and such.. (normally my own family)
    There has never been any evidence that it is your subconcious trying to send you a message. In fact .. most scientists would scoff at the very idea of that.

Many scientists don't really understand exactly what is going on, but they believe it's a type of process you mind goes through to sort your memories. What to throw out, and what to keep, and where to put it. You ever do a clean up and then defrag a computer before? It's sort of like that. While it's pulling these memories and experiences and such it can just create odd dreams. This is why ... when you watch the vampire diaries .. you could end up having a dream that is similar to it. You are processing the memories.

Also, it's good to note that a person typically has many dreams per night. So most dreams you have you don't even remember. So exactly how is that your subconcious trying to send you a message?

They dream about it because they are AB/DL. Obviously non AB/DL wouldn't dream about it because they have no idea what an AB/DL even is. Again ... people tend to dream about things they have already seen or experienced because your brain is processing those memories and experiences. Sounds a whole lot more logical than .. your subconscious trying to send you a message, which has no scientific backing at all.

Some really strong dreams, as i have mentioned before, can be messages, by strong i mean, dreams that actually give you a feeling, or have strong smells that you can actually distinguish.
    Something interesting that you may not know is that smells can trigger memories because the olfactory system in your brain is connected to emotions and memories. So it makes sense you would experience such things in dreams, and again has nothing to do with your subconscious trying to send you a message.

Dreams are a very difficult area to understand, someone once mentioned that with training you can actually control your dreams, and have things happen that you want happen
    It's called Lucid Dreaming. It's a way for you to realize you are dreaming, and thus you can pretty much do anything you want. There are ways to practice and achieving this which are called reality checks.

dreams are very special.
    Dreams are not magical .. I am sorry, but that simply is not the case. You recollections of someone saying help may not even be accurate. Studies have shown that almost all people actually have false memories. Experiences they had in the past .. all the way to some recollections they may have had recently. The accuracy is absolutely poor. Sometimes ... we can even fool outselves into thinking something happened that never did.

This is why you get a lot of those out of body kind of stories in hospitals. You have the one person explaining what they saw, and you have the other person in shock because that si what happened, when in reality it may not have. Because they are talking about it, you may think you remember it. Ya I do remember saying THAT! When you never actually did.

In some dreams you can also have out of body experiences, in other words, your sole/spirit
    Never has been any evidence of a soul/spirit even existing. In fact, what purpose would a soul even have. We know for the most part who we are, and how we behave has everything to do with our brain.

And look, I think it's fine to believe what ever it is you wish to believe .. but I don't agree with telling others as if these are facts.

Point is, people try to come up with crazy ideas for the experiences they have because they don't understand what is going on. I can assure you though, everything you experience has a scientific explanation ... there always is.

And look, I think it's fine to believe what ever it is you wish to believe .. but I don't agree with telling others as if these are facts.
    OK.. so maybe i should have wrote, I believe. rather than just stated it.. i didn't mean to make it sound matter of fact.

Babylea

MarchinBunny

Quote Originally Posted by babylea View Post
    OK.. so maybe i should have wrote, I believe. rather than just stated it.. i didn't mean to make it sound matter of fact.

Babylea
    It's ok, I am just very picky when it comes to things like this. So I hope i didn't come off as too rude or anything with my above post.