Thread: Need help but health insurance is to expensive

Default Need help but health insurance is to expensive

So I'm in a delimia right now. In the past I've posted here about having some nental health problems. I've finally decided to get professional help. But can't find affordable health insurance for what I make even through healthcare.gov
    I make around $20,000 a year and my work does offer health insurance. For around $100 a month with a $3500 deductible but enrollment ends tomorrow and I will not be able to get the paperwork out in time. So I'm stuck with going through healthcare.gov which the lowest plan they have offered me since my work provides health insurance is $172 a month with a $5000 deductible and it barely covers anything. This is all new to me and I'm feeling very overwhelmed. Marketplace has been no help what so ever. Does anyone who has been in the world of health insurance have any suggestions for what I could do? I can't afford it and I'm feeling very lost.

I have health insurance through my company. I'm not completely sure what you have. That deductible could be for something like major surgery.

The insurance I have is about $38.00 weekly because of my elections. This includes dental insurance and vision insurance and some other extra stuff. There's usually a few different plans. It took someone to explain to me what it all meant. What you need to do is call a company and let them explain to you.

What I have is 100% preventive coverage. Such as check ups or physicals. Which means I could walk in to a clinic and get free preventive care. I wish I had my package with me but I'm away from home for a few more days.

You don't have to go through the same provider that your employer uses. You can explore your options if it doesn't work for you.

I went through Healthcare.gov, I lucked out I guess, with my current job, if I don't work anywhere else, I estimate at really around 16K a year, so my insurance costs 25$ a year and the plan I found has a 0 deductable with select health. I am surprized that you are having so much trouble for just being 4-5k higher income than me.

If this is for mental health issues. Then you might check with the local/county health services. A lot of times they work on a fee/income based expenses service.

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    If this is for mental health issues. Then you might check with the local/county health services. A lot of times they work on a fee/income based expenses service.
    I was thinking the same thing. We have similar social services here in Lynchburg where I live. Sometimes very large churches provide a counselor, but you want to go to a mainline church, not a conservative Baptist or Evangelical church because they can see mental problems as something wrong that you're doing. That attitude only makes problems much worse. We used to have a professional psychologist that worked for free in our church, but when her husband retired, they moved and we didn't have anyone else in our congregation who was qualified as a psychologist.

Anyway, you should be able to find some help through social services unless you are making too much money, but I don't think you are.

You might also check with your employer to see if the offer and Employee Assistance Program. If they do, they usually offer a few free sessions with a mental health professional (usually a therapist), or will point you where you can find help.

BabyJayk

Quote Originally Posted by DprEffect View Post
    So I'm in a delimia right now. In the past I've posted here about having some nental health problems. I've finally decided to get professional help. But can't find affordable health insurance for what I make even through healthcare.gov
    I make around $20,000 a year and my work does offer health insurance. For around $100 a month with a $3500 deductible but enrollment ends tomorrow and I will not be able to get the paperwork out in time. So I'm stuck with going through healthcare.gov which the lowest plan they have offered me since my work provides health insurance is $172 a month with a $5000 deductible and it barely covers anything. This is all new to me and I'm feeling very overwhelmed. Marketplace has been no help what so ever. Does anyone who has been in the world of health insurance have any suggestions for what I could do? I can't afford it and I'm feeling very lost.
    And here we see the failure that is socialized medicine. My family, (before I reenlisted and got tricare again) we had 6 people on a 5000 deductible plan through Obamacare. My family has never managed to meet that deductible within the allotted year. That's 6 people's worth of doctor visits and normal checkups and such wasn't enough to meet the deductible. So we are paying monthly for insurance that never pays anything back. Honestly if it weren't for the tax penalties you're better off without the insurance because up to 5,000 you're paying out of pocket anyway.