Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Sissy
  5. Little
  6. Carer
  7. Other
I want to try out cloth diapers. But I don't know 😞 anything about them like what's good or what's bad 🙅 . Which one is the best, which one to stay away from. And how to do folds? I don't know 😞 anything any help would be great 😊

As for what is good and what is bad, that depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

For me I got my stuff from Baby Pants.

The Birdseye cotton are heavy and thick. Plus they can get very warm.
for Real baby cloth Birdseye is top of the line.

I got the cotton twill and they are not as thick and do not get as warm as fast.

Then I got the cotton Gauze and I like them the most. They look and feel like a real baby diaper.

Yes you will need plastic pants with them also. Again it depends on what you want. The thing I found id the thickness of the plastic effects the durability and heat factor. The thicker they are the stronger and longer they last. They also get very warm very fast.

The thinner ones feel nice and comfortable but the slightest misstep and they tear.

To find out how to fold them google "Folding a cloth diaper ". There is several detailed ones with pictures and several good ones with demonstrations. If I remember correctly most are on "Ask How" or "How to do ???"

I hope this helps

Egor

I use night weight, cotton gauze pre-fold diapers from All Together Enterprises. You can order them from Amazon. You will have to have plastic pants and there all kinds of those. The PUL plastic pants are probably the most comfortable and longest lasting. I have a couple pair, but at night, I wear the Leakmaster high back plastic pants, also sold on Amazon. I like the high backs because they cover the entire diaper which is necessary when you sleep in a bed. Some plastic pants are a little short and don't always cover the top of the diaper.

RainbowDash728 said:
I want to try out cloth diapers. But I don't know �� anything about them like what's good or what's bad �� . Which one is the best, which one to stay away from. And how to do folds? I don't know �� anything any help would be great ��

It really depends what you are looking for. The diapers I use are really easy to use. It has a shell that has a waterproof layer and a wicking layer and there is an opening in the back where you insert the absorbent part of the diaper. These are by far the easiest to wash. The nice thing is that you do not need plastic pants over them. I would say avoid dependeco diapers they leak really bad and they suck. Prefold diapers are a lot of work.

Here is a good page to learn about cloth diapers www.wearing-adult-diapers.com/Adult-Cloth-Diapers.html

egor said:
As for what is good and what is bad, that depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

For me I got my stuff from Baby Pants.

The Birdseye cotton are heavy and thick. Plus they can get very warm.
for Real baby cloth Birdseye is top of the line.

I got the cotton twill and they are not as thick and do not get as warm as fast.

Then I got the cotton Gauze and I like them the most. They look and feel like a real baby diaper.

Yes you will need plastic pants with them also. Again it depends on what you want. The thing I found id the thickness of the plastic effects the durability and heat factor. The thicker they are the stronger and longer they last. They also get very warm very fast.

The thinner ones feel nice and comfortable but the slightest misstep and they tear.

To find out how to fold them google "Folding a cloth diaper ". There is several detailed ones with pictures and several good ones with demonstrations. If I remember correctly most are on "Ask How" or "How to do ???"

I hope this helps

Egor

Well thicker is better. Especially with me and how I am when it comes to no.1 definitely is a must. I do want plastic pants. I shall look it up.

im gonna be geting cloth eventually, though i think imma get the all in ones with velcro tabs :p. do those usually need plastic pants?

Prefold cloth diapers are indeed a lot of work, but with experimentation, they are the most customizable choice. All-in-ones (usually with velcro closings) are easy and convenient, but they take forever to dry. Pocket adult diapers are available (I have about a dozen from Snap-EZ.com) and they are probably the best compromise between the pins-and-plastic pants prefolds and the care required for AIOs. Your choice really depends on what you want and how long you're content to go between changes. Pocket diapers and AIOs often require hourly changing, depending on how much you wet, while prefolds can usually be worn for a couple of hours or longer. If you're really concerned about leaks, try prefolds and plastic pants. They are easily the most secure choice. Pocket diapers and some very thin AIOs can often be worn beneath clothing, but it's hard to do that with a prefold unless you don't mind other people noticing that you're wearing a diaper.

My favorite cloth diaper is the pre-fold cotton twill sold by Changing Times Diaper Co. Also like cotton gauze pre-folds from Baby Pants (which I'm wearing now). I recommend you avoid flannel diapers. Gauze, Birdseye, and Twill weaves are more absorbent and easier to clean than flannel and will last a lot longer. For washing, avoid fabric softeners as they will dramatically reduce absorbency. I use a standard angel wing fold with my pre-folds. There is a wealth of cloth diapering tips and wisdom on the net, most of which is directed toward young mothers, that you should check out.

Make sure your plastic pants, or other waterproof cover (PUL, PEVA, latex, etc.) are generously sized and wide in the crotch. Cloth diapers wick - the moisture is drawn throughout the fabric by capillary action. This is one of cloth's great features as you use the whole diaper. When I check my diaper, I feel the top edge in the rear. When that edge is very wet, then I know my diaper has reached maximum capacity. But, if any part of your diaper is not covered by your rubber pants, your pee will wick out on to your clothes or bedding.

Cloth diapers are my favorite!

I must tell you YES YES YES,please do use cloth diapers and diaper pins and plastic panties.After outgrowing MY Ultra PAMPERS for girls.My mommy switched me to cloth ones with cute diaper pins and various plastic panties,which is mostly what I am diapered into now.I much prefer the whole cloth diapering process over my disposable diapering process.TRY IT you will like it!!!

I love my cloth diapers, I use prefold ones at night, I get them form Changing Times Diaper, the guy who runs it is very nice, I have talked to him a few times on the phone. One thing I have learned though is don't use plastic pants, get the PUL ones. When I have used plastic ones in the past they tend to get hard and rip in about 6 months to a year, Robert turned me on to PUL pants about a year and a half ago, and I still have the ones I got then and they are still as soft as they were then. I have also learned over time, that like disposable diapers for adults need 2 tapes per side to fit well, my prefold diapers need 2 pins per side to fit well, just like disposable one up at the hip and one down at the waist.

Also cotton will stink about 25% when washed and heat on high heat, but it makes it softer and fluffier. And once they shrink they will not shrink a second time. Also you need to wash them and dry them before use to get them to be max absorbency (unless you make the mistake of fabric softener then they will not absorb at all)

Another great benefit of cloth is we decrease our carbon foot print, we don't eliminate it fully, but we also don't use all that oil making plastic for a 1 use diaper, then delivering that diaper. and the time for the 1 use diaper to biodegrade (how long is it for plastic now?) We will still use up oil on electricity to wash the diaper and dry it, but they use more then that in the production of a signal use diaper. Plus when we are done with our diapers (not sure that is a correct statement, done with our diapers) they can be porpoised wash them a few times, they can become dust rages, or shred them for a part of a mulch. Maybe it you became to big for them AB down the road might fite them another happy baby. see http://realdiapers.org/diaper-facts for some idea on the info I was talking about, but also mind you it is a pro-cloth site so the numbers are probably swede to make cloth diapers look even better then they really are.

But here are some cost savings, I bought 10 prefold diapers from CTD a year and half ago and 4 PUL pants still using those every night. The diapers were $20, so $200 for the diapers and and the 4 PUL pants, and 2 more I got recently as I wanted 2 of the new styl for $126, for a grand total of 326 of diapers that have lasted me a year and half, and I am sure I will get more out of them, these are great quality diapers. The next part is the added cost of washing them, since I don't have in unit washer and drier I have to spend $3.50 a week to wash my diapers. Looking at good AB/DL diapers you spend about 80 for a case that lasts 2 months? so after 8 months you will have spent the same amount I have on cloth diapers, and my cost is now dropped to only 3.50 while disposable stay at the 80 (or go up with inflation)

As for how to use a prefold, I have found I like both the "jelly roll" fold and the "butterfly" fold the best, if you are a guy I would tell you to avoid the "bikini" if you are a guy I find that it pinches down there.
(see http://thiswestcoastmommy.com/6-ways-to-fold-a-prefold-diaper/ for some folds)

As to how I use them. I use my cloth diapers at night (as you might see in another post I am looking for training pants for the day*) is I put it on in the evening. in the am when I get up I wash them off in the shower with me (mind you this is not the cleaning, it just helps keep the smell away) I usually let it absorb the max it can, then wring it out, 3 times and then rise the water proof pants, I then hang them on the in shower tower holder, and let them sit for the day, then I put them into the diaper pail.

Finally don't get me wrong, I do not hate, disposable they are great, especially when you are traveling, but they tend to be more expensive in the long run, and I leak with disposables, and I don't seem to leak with my prefold diapers.

sbmccue said:
Pocket diapers and AIOs often require hourly changing, depending on how much you wet, while prefolds can usually be worn for a couple of hours or longer.

Interesting that you say that. I have designed a pocket diaper that you can look at if you want I will leave the link to it at the end.
But I wear my pocket diapers and I can get at least 4 hours out of one diaper and often times I can go just as long in cloth diaper as I can in a disposable. I am a very heavy wetter and go quite often. Pocket diapers are not meant to be thin. If you have to change every hour then you may want to put more inserts in at a time. My diaper inserts each have two layers of hemp and two layers of flannel. Usually I use about 3-4 inserts. It is about the same thickness as a dry 24/7. This diaper can sometimes last me all day. I have gone thicker than this before just for the fun of it.

This one is my light to normal thickness
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_eBVY9629pAX0VlTWFrQU1QZkk/view?usp=sharing

These two are what I would say the thickest they can go.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_eBVY9629pAOXByUWVES1JDTWM/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_eBVY9629pAQ21rNFNaTjVuZ28/view?usp=sharing

Here is one that is on the thicker side which is usually what I wear.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_eBVY9629pAZXdLbVp0S2tUWFE/view?usp=sharing

- - - Updated - - -

BabyBike1 said:
For washing, avoid fabric softeners as they will dramatically reduce absorbency.
The reason behind the Fabric softener is that Softeners cause build up of residue. Basically your diaper become coated and it will not only reduce absorbency but it will cause it to repel any liquid it comes in contact with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back