Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What makes for a good first motorcycle?

Question What makes for a good first motorcycle?

I am curious enough to inquire here about what makes for a good first motorcycle?

Thank you for your time.

What is your level of riding experience? What style of bike do you take a liking to? (cruiser, sport, supermoto, dual sport, racer, etc..)

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Snap View Post
    What is your level of riding experience?
    Judging by what he is asking, I'm going to say little or none.

---

I think it all depends on what your looking for, speed, comfort, price range etc.

My uncle started out on a Honda Goldwing and he loved it, said it was the best bike he has ever had (after his Harley.)

That's why I ask. If you have never thrown a leg over a motorcycle, you don't want to start out with a 900lb. hog. You want a light, maneuverable bike that doesn't have so much power that you can quickly get in trouble with the throttle, and I don't mean tickets. If you have ridden some, on or off road, you have an idea about what a motorcycle can do and the basics are much easier to dispense with. There are many styles of bikes with smaller displacements less than 600 cc, and they handle and perform very differently from style to style.

What ever type you choose, a rider education course would be an excellent idea. (Some even rent bikes to non owners, so they can learn)

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Snap View Post
    That's why I ask. If you have never thrown a leg over a motorcycle, you don't want to start out with a 900lb. hog. You want a light, maneuverable bike that doesn't have so much power that you can quickly get in trouble with the throttle, and I don't mean tickets. If you have ridden some, on or off road, you have an idea about what a motorcycle can do and the basics are much easier to dispense with. There are many styles of bikes with smaller displacements less than 600 cc, and they handle and perform very differently from style to style.

What ever type you choose, a rider education course would be an excellent idea. (Some even rent bikes to non owners, so they can learn)
    That's good advice. The throttle can get away from even an experienced rider. I've scared myself a few times with my little 500cc bike. Whatever you get, drive defensively and rememeber even a smaller cc bike can go too fast. Especiolly now days. Smaller engines have a much higher power output than they used to and don't forget a helmet. Leather is a good idea too.

Butterfly Mage

An awesome first motorcycle is a Honda Rebel 250. It was my first bike and it's still being manufactured! Some good things about the Rebel 250:
    -- It's really cheap ($800-$1000 used, $3000 new)
    -- It's easy to maintain.
    -- It's cheap to insure ($7/month for me!)
    -- It's not very powerful, so an inexperienced rider won't get blown away.
    -- It starts even in 5 degree weather.

I had my Rebel for three years. It took a wreck for me to part with it.

I'd say get something mid-range. If you get something small, like a 250, sure they are great to learn on, but you will quickly tire of it. I would liken a 250 bike to someone buying a beater to learn to drive a stick shift on, they will quickly progress to the level of a decent bike.

I would absolutely say get a used one, it will be cheaper, and depending on where you live, there is a good chance that the bike was not used as a daily driver, unless maybe you live in florida or california or something like that. Also, repairs on bikes are generally easy, much easier than a car I can say that.

Take rider education, where I am, the rider ed classes provide bikes, all of them are 250's, so you can get a feel for it. My bike, which is my first, is a Yamaha 600, not a crotch rocket, not a hog, but respectable. The previous owner got a speeding ticket for over 110 mph, so it can move if you ask it. I don't do that though, just stupid.

I will say this, even with a 600, be REAL careful starting out on it, the first time I got mine up to speed, the throttle got out of hand and I had to lay it down and I was not wearing a helmet or leather or anything. I wasn't on a public street, but it was still stupid and I learned my lesson the hard way. I scrapped myself up pretty good, and broke a bit of the plastic trim on the bike, including the speedo. Let's just say I learned my lesson

A lack of training wheels.

While I don't own a motorcycle, I think that you also need to look at what you are going to use the bike for. Riding it around town, through the country, or serious highway riding.

Light weight and moderate power. My first bike was a 69 Honda Z-50a, I still have it. My first regerstered bike was a 73 Suzuki ts-185 trail street bike. I took my riders test on that one.

Nam

My dad has a Harley sportster. However I don't have one nor have I ever drove one.

I will say this though, be prepared to drive defensively since cars have nothing to fear from your motorcycle.