Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airport Body Imaging Scanners

Exclamation Airport Body Imaging Scanners

Has anyone else heard of these? Pretty frightening of invasion of privacy, especially when the images they can produce result in these:

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/7536/bodyscanmaniw9.th.jpg

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/3976/womanxrayscansu5.th.jpg

I don't know about you guys, but there is NO way I'd go through one of those...I mean heck...they would know you're wearing a diaper! I mean of course the observing room is where they view the images is in a closed room, and that the TSA agents are suppose to delete the pictures afterwards...but still! The other option people have now is if they wish not to go through the body scanners, is to get a pat down...lol.

More info about them here:

http://current.newsweek.com/budgettr...your_priv.html

I'm 90% sure I went through one of those in Amsterdam, and I got bloody felt-up patted down afterwards too.

Usually I'm against anything that violates privacy, but I don't really see a problem with this. The images get deleted afterwards, this isn't being forced on you (it will be eventually) so there's no real issue for me (yet?).

I'm much more against having to give my finger-prints when flying to America.

Charlie, AFAIK here they are still only a test for flight personnel.

I'm all for this. Why? Because unless you keep inventing new ways to improve security on airports people will find ways to get around it. While fully ceramic guns aren't out yet, knives are. That's why I find it important to improve on technology.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    I'm 90% sure I went through one of those in Amsterdam, and I got bloody felt-up patted down afterwards too.
    THat is correct. The EU wanted to legalize those scanners and ran a test at Amsterdam airport. I think a few countries intervened, so the EU dropped the idea to introduce them at other airports and wants to run more tests first. I know for sure that just about everyone in my country was oppose to the idea and that our government wouldn't have allowed those on our airports, no matter how much the EU would love to see them.

I don't quite see the purpose of prying that deeply into someone's privacy. Surely, you can't take a knife long enough to threaten the pilot with into the cabin (cause you can't even get to the pilot any more these days), what what do you want with a short knife the size of nail clippers?
    Next thing we know is they'll run a full XRay scan on you because you could be some terrorist who has has enemaed some explosive substance into your ass, just to go to the toilet mid-flight, plug a fuse up your ass too and blow up the plane.
    Seriously, if you want to safe more people's lives, fix up potholes in the roads or lower the speed limit...there are 10,000 times more dead people from road accidents than from flight accidents, or terrorist attacks with airplanes!
    Besides, anyone who wants people to laugh at their naked picture, why not one of the adult photo hosting sites rather than making airport staff laught at a black and white image of your naked self on a scanner that costs a few million Euros?

Peachy

The images get deleted afterwards
    True, but passengers will never know if they're truly deleted. I mean, they might "sell off" a few pictures to certain agencies...anything is possible....besides, with new technology comes new methods of hacking...people's "scanned images" of their bodies could be plastered all over the net.

Do they make the guys wear something? I don't want to go sterile

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraman View Post
    True, but passengers will never know if they're truly deleted. I mean, they might "sell off" a few pictures to certain agencies...anything is possible....besides, with new technology comes new methods of hacking...people's "scanned images" of their bodies could be plastered all over the net.
    I guess that's possible, if not a bit paranoid.

I don't know... Nobody on the net wants to see a crappy scanned picture of me naked...
    And I'm sure celebrities would turn it down if they thought they was a chance of the image not being deleted.

I think I'd be slightly honoured if my picture was chosen to be saved and posted around.

I don't know... Nobody on the net wants to see a crappy scanned picture of me naked...

You'd be surprised. I'm sure there are people with a fetish for x-ray type pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraman View Post
    Has anyone else heard of these? Pretty frightening of invasion of privacy, especially when the images they can produce result in these:
    -snippage-
    Wow, these scanners have gotten a whole lot clearer. I recall some outcry in like 2002 from women's groups about this since early tests indicated you could -sometimes- see the labia with them.

Frankly, since I ALWAYS seem to need a wanding and pat-down I sorta don't really care. If a grainy 'R2D2-esce projection' gets out and someone actually gets their groove on over me, I'm gonna feel flattered

Now, when they start scanning my mind, activating my webcam or start reading my mail then I might start getting a might bit peeved.

Israel for example instigated very strong passenger checks in the late 1970's due to hijackings, it was just a matter of time before it was needed everywhere else. I seem to recall reading a study for improving US airport security in the late 1980's but it was thought to be too annoying and went unused.

At this point, sadly, air travel will only get more annoying.

Peachy

I think I'd be slightly honoured if my picture was chosen to be saved and posted around.
    With or without your name and address on it, and how about posting it to the door of your dorm, or the lecture halls you're usually in?

Peachy