Why dont all cloth backed diapers use velcro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapor

Est. Contributor
This is something i always pondered, especially with the more expensive brands. A example is on the air plus M4 it uses standard sticky tapes(Which are terrible for cloth) , while on cheap CVS Diapers they use velcro, which is FANTASTIC for extended cloth wearing as it can be readjusted infinitely without losing any grip strength.

I just use prefold diapers with safety pins and vinyl pull ups with a onesie. I have tried the Velcro ones and I found the they tend to bite me at the waste when I bend over ( especially when I'm working.) so wearing 24/7 I stopped wearing them.

Vapor said:
This is something i always pondered, especially with the more expensive brands. A example is on the air plus M4 it uses standard sticky tapes(Which are terrible for cloth) , while on cheap CVS Diapers they use velcro, which is FANTASTIC for extended cloth wearing as it can be readjusted infinitely without losing any grip strength.

I'd venture a guess it has to do with checking the diaper. You're a little more under the gun with a thin diaper to make sure you're not too wet, as they will leak immediately. A thick / premium diaper on the other hand will give you a little more wiggle room on changes and is usually abundantly obvious when its been used a few times due to swelling of the more expensive sap a lot of the cheaper diapers lack.

Cheap store diapers are also meant to a large degree for people with dribble, urge, or stress incontinence, where they want to be able to use the toilet regularly. Velcro would let you remove and replace a diaper a dozen times during the day if needed, instead of the 1 or 2 with a plastic tape.

Lastly I suspect a lot of people that use premium diapers for incontinence have total incon. They're wearing premium because it has to last all night / morning / afternoon, and they are wearing a thicker diaper specifically to avoid having to change too frequently. For them, the retape option is only useful for an adjustment if the initial taping is off, or to "snug" up a sagging diaper. (which is only going to work once anyway)

So the whole "why do so many cheap diapers have velcro?" makes sense to me.

Mere speaks the truth!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back