Status
Not open for further replies.

Poohbearboy

18 months
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
I'm thinking to switch to normal cloth diapers and would like how are it is and if odor going be problem before do wash ever week. I'm try get parents to let go to cloth because disposable are becoming real pain with insurance keep changing brands every few months.

Poohbearboy said:
I'm thinking to switch to normal cloth diapers and would like how are it is and if odor going be problem before do wash ever week. I'm try get parents to let go to cloth because disposable are becoming real pain with insurance keep changing brands every few months.

Well, yeah. A week's worth of used diapers is going to be pretty stinky! A well-sealing diaper pail will obviously limit your exposure to this, but... Generally speaking, you'll want to wash your diapers every 2-3 days. Weekly is just not often enough. Letting your diapers sit there with urine and other nastiness on them for a week at a time is going to reduce their lifespan quite a bit. We cloth-diapered our kids, and only rarely did we let the diapers sit for longer than three days. And oh! Not a good smell! (When you opened the pail.) And we used a "wet pail", half-filled with a water/borax solution to dilute the badness and keep stains from setting. A dry pail, while easier, will also be stinkier, since your own full-strength bodily fluids--and byproducts of their aging--will be the only things in there.

Cloth diapers do require work and discipline. You quickly get into a routine, of course, and it's no big deal.

Another thing to be aware of is that most cloth-wearing ICs still use disposables during the day. If you plan to wear cloth diapers 24x7, you'll want to make sure you have a (pretty large) wet bag with you when you're out and about--'cause obviously you have to have a way to get those used diapers back home with you. Outside of the fact that cloth diapers tend to be a bit more visible under clothing than disposables, the necessity of carrying around your used diapers when you're not at home is one of those things that makes cloth diapers, for adults, quite a bit more painful than cloth diapers for babies. One large Ziploc freezer bag is enough to store several wet cloth baby diapers until you get home. Not so with adult diapers. So keep that in mind. You may find that a mixture of cloth and disposables is more sane.

Thank for the advice and maybe not such good idea as thought for solution to the way things are at moment with insurance ones I'm getting.

Insurance is a pain in the ass. You paid them for years and when it comes time for them to pay up, it's like you can't get anything with quality.

I will also say that using cloth at night and while home, can definitely benefit you financially and bring some sort of stability. Doing laundry a couple times per week is easier than once per week and would be less odor. You don't have to buy so many to last a week. Then you can stock up on the disposables that insurance sends and keep what you want and donate what you don't.

Have you ever looked into different companies? I know some let you choose from a list of products. I've seen Tranquility available through mine.

I wear cloth, but only at night. In the morning, I wash it out while I'm taking my shower, along with my plastic pants. I hang both up to dry. Then I collect the cloth diapers on laundry day and wash all together. You will need plastic pants and they tend to get hard and split over time. I wash mine in the shower using just antiseptic hand soap. The water should not be too hot. Then I hang them on a plastic hanger in a closet where they dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back