Buying diapers at the store embarresing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No big deal to me, I have to leave town a good hour to go to college and no one i know lives in the area. I could care less about what the cashier thinks.

i quite often used to purchase diapers from my local disability store.. lately from the chemist since im in a differnt country, the most annoying aspect of hte whole process, (Unless you can pull of the shelf) is explaining what you want..

Normally it goes something like this

Hi, yes, im after adult diapers..
Ok.. any specific brand
Normally buy tena, or abena
ok..

comes back with pull up briefs.

No, i said diapers, you know with the tapes.
oh ok

disapears, and comes back with diapers, with the waste fastener. You know the ones that look like they have a belt.

No.. i want diapers, you know with the tapes at the side.
are you sure
yes im sure..

what size
large.
ok

Comes back with the thinest most crappy diapers they stock..

These are not good. i need your most absorbant.
oh..?
yes.. Look (*then i go into a tale of how im a sleep walking bed wetter, and diapers are the best for my situation)

after 20 minutes trying to explain, i finaly get what i want..

It was embarrasing the first couple of times, but then i got used to it.. Once you been in a couple of times they get to know you and you get what you want almost instantly..

just keep at it. the embarrasment will fade..

Cheers

I bought my first package when I was sixteen. The funny thing is, I bought them came from the now defunct Grand Union, which was right next door to my house in a manner of speaking. It was close enough that my mother new certain employees by name, mainly because she worked there. So if I was ever going to be in any danger of getting caught, that would have been one of the many, many, many times it would have been more likely.

Of course I told so many people that it was like fate didn't have anything to work with.

babylea: I can relate to exactly what you've said. and while all this is going on the que behind you is getting bigger and bigger and more interested in the reason for the delay.

Aleakyboomboom!!!!

Cashiers don't care and if they say anything to mock you buying them then that can get them in trouble with management. My worst time was buying a package of depends or walgreens brand one and paying in the back at the pharmacy. I was like 15 or 16 at the time.

That said, you can get much better ones online. Handful's of AB/DL designed ones too.

I just went to my local Warehouse store in the next city over and thought I would buy a box of generic pull-ups. I like them for wearing at work, sometimes change 2 or 3 times... etc. This store has an inventory control clerk at the door inspecting purchases and receipts as you leave. I was sure to use the self check out, but to my surprise and dread was one of my former students standing at the door inspecting.

I felt so embarrassed. I quickly thought to myself that all I could retort would be "be thankful you don't have to wear these things". But thankfully his training, or good sense, simply caused him to say hello, examine my slip and my purchases and then say "nice seeing you again".

I was so relieved. Now do I suspect that he might now be telling others that he saw me buying adult diaper products.... sure. But, I am feeling that it is less of a big deal than I imagine.

I used to find it very embarassing, even though I've been making ABDL purchases since I was 11 or so. At some point, it really hit home with me that (almost) no one cares what I'm up to and that if I act like it's no big deal, the odds of it being interesting are even further reduced. I actually kind of miss the scared thrill it used to give me to buy retail. I do enjoy the immediate gratification of getting what I want but the Depends I like are getting harder to find these days, so my opportunities may be even more few in the future.

When Walgreens was getting rid of Depends Protection with Tabs, they slashed the price and I went around from store to store to catch the bargains. In most places they only had single bags but one had two and I noticed it made me nervous all over again to bring up two bags, as if that meant that I was a serious diaper wearer or something. Unfortunately, when I bought two bags at the same time months later, it seemed almost normal to me.

Friendly shop assistants suck.
The really helpful type... Are you SURE that you need that size, they are pretty enormous (Had that happen a couple of times). Don't really want to alert that they are definitely for me by mentioning my thighs.

I prefer the case the joint method first.
Google to see what the store carries, visit them beforehand on the flimsy pretext of buying medical necessities (bandages and the like)
Get in, grab, pay.
If they aren't on the counter, ask for them buy name
Smile at the assistant, ask them how their day is, be confident, smile
They will probably assume that they are for you and won't ask any questions.
Follow by hide them in your car, work out how to smuggle them into the house, and into your stash

Fire2box said:
Cashiers don't care and if they say anything to mock you buying them then that can get them in trouble with management. My worst time was buying a package of depends or walgreens brand one and paying in the back at the pharmacy. I was like 15 or 16 at the time.

That said, you can get much better ones online. Handful's of AB/DL designed ones too.

Yep, pretty much this. 99 percent of cashiers won't even raise an eyebrow unless you make a big deal about it, and even then it's not like the entire room will burst out in laughter.

Most of the time, the cashiers really haven't cared that I've gotten them, but I'm still jittery when I get them. The most awkward time I bought a bag was during a road trip, so it was a good thing I was out of town. I'm in line with a bag of CVS Day and Nights when an older man gets in line behind me with the same bag of diapers. He wanted to chit chat with me about our purchases, and I just wanted to get away.

I hope we are all able to laugh at ourselves. Some of the previous posts on this thread really are quite funny. And I'm no exception...I've been there doing the silly paranoia thing, too. But really? Do you really look at what other crap people are buying? Why would you think they'd be looking at your selections? Reality is...they probably aren't. I can't think of a time when I've noticed someone else with diapers in their basket.

The very first time I got the stones up to go to Walgreens to buy diapers was a trip! I just wanted to get in and get out! So imagine my *horror* when the (elder) cashier looked at the package of Depends I had placed on the counter and exclaimed "Ohhhhhhh, I'm pretty sure there's a coupon in the circular for those!" Needless to say, I died a thousand deaths that night at the front checkout at Walgreen's but I lived to tell about it and, sadly (you'll eventually see) got to where buying diapers in a store ain't no big deal, anymore. Heck! If you're lucky, maybe another DL will chat you up. All in all, though, nobody gives a hoot that you're buying diapers. Or hemorrhoid ointment. Or tampons. Or pantyhose. Or baby formula. Or whatever.

Here is a good way to look at it. Not sure if anyone put it this way, but here I go.

Pretend you are working at a cash register. You being an AB/DL, you come across someone who is buying diapers. Considering you are an AB/DL, you likely will think they might be for that person, but you wouldn't dare say anything for the chance of being wrong ... which is pretty large. Keeping in mind the only reason you would even consider them wearing those diapers is because you are an AB/DL.

So unless the cashier is also an AB/DL it's extremely unlikely they would assume they where for you. It being diapers probably doesn't even cross most peoples minds.

The reason many AB/DL get scared and embarrassed by checking out, is because they are thinking how an AB/DL would think .. not how some random person unaware of such an interest would think.

Now the only exception to this is if you are fairly young buying something like goodnites. Then you might be suspected of having a bedwetting problem, but again .. that is if the cashier even notices or cares for that matter. It's unlikely they would say anything even if they did think that. Although I am sure we can all agree that the thought of a cashier whispering to you and saying "Don't worry, you will grow out of it one day! *2 Thumbs up* Good luck!" would be pretty embarrassing but pretty hilarious at the same time.

I have no choice but go to the shop and buy my nappies. But I time it just right. I usually go buy when the shop just opens. That way there aren't many shoppers in the store and I know that no that I know will be there. But when I arrive I just go through the shop from one side to the other and ensure there is no one I know.

I then go get my nappies and head straight to the cashier. No the way our chasers work you all stand in one long que and wait to be served. I also carry my own bags that I know the pack will fit in without sticking out. When I get to the cashier I get the pack scanned and then strIght into the bag. Then I pay. Some of the time the cashier even helps me put the pack into the bag. But the cashiers never ever say anything. Non of the other shopper bat an eye either. They are all to busy worrying about themselves.

Years ago I was nervous when buying diapers , now I tell the clerk that I don't need a bag and just carry them by the little strap they have on the packaging out to my vehicle and throw them on the seat for all the world to see and no one bats an eye, hide thing in plain sight never raises an eyebrow.

I honestly HATE buying it in store! Where I live isn't exactly a "small town" but damn near everyone knows someone who knows you so there's always that fear for me. The worst is going to a big box store or a store when it's crowded; that's when you get that dibilitating chill of fear. I wished there were options around this, but I can't afford to be caught buying online so for now, I've got to deal with it.

I generally buy online, but on the few occasions I've purchased in store, the cashiers have been fine. Indeed, if you're buying at a pharmacy rather than a hypermarket type store, they'll be used to it and usually very professional. I actually want to buy in-store more often, as for all the convenience, buying online does sometimes feel like it's reinforcing the secrecy and shame aspects that lurk in my mind. I want diapers to be a normal, regular purchase, so the purchase experience should be no different to other groceries.

Go to a drug or medical supply store: yours will be the least notable of the purchases the clerk has ever seen or will ever see. Even if you're nervous. If they aren't too new and talkative, they won't even bat an eye.

When I get low on the 6 tab Depends, that I wear, for short durations, between putting back on one of my regular type diapers, I just go over to the pharmacy section, grab a bag, head to check out, no one even seems to notice-there's always way too much other stuff going on around, that will distract their attention away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back