Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The need for diapers

Default The need for diapers

There is a belief that those that wear diapers for a mental need or like them are thought of differently then those that wear for medical reason's
    In my mind I really don't see much difference I need them just as much.
    They are a part of me for years I tryed to give them up but it's me.

I understand that some have no choice in the matter I'm sorry they have to live being IC.
    But I have no choice eather .
    I would hope at some point it would be understood any one in diapers need's them.
    We would not be ashamed of wearing diapers and we wouldn't be looked down on.
    For some it's how we cope in life .
    I in no way mean no disrespect to those that live with IC not my intention.
    Just putting out some thoughts on this because I think about it a lot.

What are your thoughts on this.
    Last edited by foxkits; 01-Dec-2015 at 09:27.

It's a difficult question, and I think it might vary by person. What it really comes down to that is "need" means different things to different people. I think the crux of it is that the population in general sees something different in a requirement that is constant vs. one that needs to happen rarely. That is, there's something distinctly different about having to be in diapers 24/7 vs. wanting to wear diapers but having the option of not wearing at any given moment depending on circumstances and individual preferences.

Looking at that more closely, most of the non-IC people here only wear diapers sometimes and wouldn't want to be in diapers 24/7 for an extended period of time. This makes the average ABDL's desire appear to the outside world like an indulgence, not dissimilar from someone that occasionally eats too much chocolate to feel good or someone that likes to take long walks. The space where something goes from being a preference that one can choose not to indulge to becoming a true need isn't really defined. Most would say that the person who likes chocolate doesn't have a need and could give up chocolate if they wanted (say for a diet). I'm not sure that's really right though, the chocolate lover might very well get depressed if they're forced to go months or years without chocolate. Even if they go a long time without, they won't forget the text and texture of it, nor the attraction it holds for them. Nevertheless, it is true for both the chocolate and the diapers, that if an unexpected project comes up or a family member needs help, most of us can put off doing the pleasant activity to get something important done and then get back to the pleasure later without being any worse off.

In comparison, an IC person needs some kind of protection to avoid damage to clothes and furniture. Their need is one that doesn't go away and if you happened to be hanging out with an IC person and realized they didn't have a diaper, you'd want them to immediately go and get one on to protect your stuff. The "need" of someone who's IC can't be put off or abstained from. The IC person lacks choice about when to wear diapers because the answer is "pretty much always."

And as I ramble through this, I think that's the difference. Lack of choice is what creates a "need" in the minds of most people. When you have choice about when and how to indulge, people will think that means you can exercise that choice to avoid something they find distasteful and don't respect the real need that might actually be present.

Well I for one am happy to agree with you foxkits, yes although the need may be specific to the individual, for most it's a real need all the same. I guess the point of difference for some would be the satisfaction/pleasure/comfort derived from that need. I would think that for a lot of IC people who need to wear, the experience is anything but pleasant. But that doesn't alter the fact that some of us cannot choose to not need them for emotional/mental reasons. We just do.

My GF is IC so I do know what she deal's with and understand it.
    She is ok with my wearing she doesn't understand why I do it.
    I spent years trying to figure out why it happend to me.
    I went with out 3 years not wearing any felt dead inside .
    00.01% can give this up .
    Because some of us wish we we're accepted for the need.
    Even for some wish they we're IC so they are accepted having to wear.
    Even some IC person's dont accept us I have seen the hate towards us.
    Even had some one which broke into my locked suit case I kept at the motel room ruined my lively hood.
    I kept it private every way .
    Do we live in such a cold world that we cant be who we are inside.
    On here I have found most of us are very caring kind person's and very sensitive to other's.
    Just it's not the same for us .
    I struggle enough with who I'm let alone what I have had to indure from other's.
    There are day's I feel the rat's won.

I'm not sure my analog would be in incontinence. I can go days, weeks, or months without even really wanting to wear but that desire will certainly come back (it can also be a much more frequent desire). I know from past experience that I don't have to yield tangibly to the desire in order to function. It makes my life nicer but I don't think it's a necessity. I got through a few years this way, so maybe the weight of additional time would eventually be an unbearable burden. I'm in no hurry to test it. Now if we were to rule out fantasies as well as actual wearing (not sure how we'd do that but for the sake of argument), I think I'd have a more pressing problem.

Let's not mistake this for some casual desire of mine. It plagued me in my teen years and I'd have given anything to be rid of it. I'd put that intensity up against most anything in my own experience but it takes a different form than what you describe. Obviously, I think it's a better world where we get to indulge these harmless desires and I don't need to cast it as a medical necessity to convince myself that it's a good idea. It makes my life better for a nominal fee, and it's even better when I share it. That's sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I'm not sure my analog would be in incontinence. I can go days, weeks, or months without even really wanting to wear but that desire will certainly come back (it can also be a much more frequent desire). I know from past experience that I don't have to yield tangibly to the desire in order to function. It makes my life nicer but I don't think it's a necessity. I got through a few years this way, so maybe the weight of additional time would eventually be an unbearable burden. I'm in no hurry to test it. Now if we were to rule out fantasies as well as actual wearing (not sure how we'd do that but for the sake of argument), I think I'd have a more pressing problem.

Let's not mistake this for some casual desire of mine. It plagued me in my teen years and I'd have given anything to be rid of it. I'd put that intensity up against most anything in my own experience but it takes a different form than what you describe. Obviously, I think it's a better world where we get to indulge these harmless desires and I don't need to cast it as a medical necessity to convince myself that it's a good idea. It makes my life better for a nominal fee, and it's even better when I share it. That's sufficient.
    Do you think we would have an easier time if it was thought of as a medical terminology to cover this.
    Like some that is eccentric like .
    There are so many looking for some one live there life with.
    It come to a point that some have given up looking just because of wearing diapers.
    There are some looking for a reasonable explanation that would be accepted by the masses.
    How many believe that you can give it up which we know most can't .
    In my case it's a part of who I'm.

Quote Originally Posted by foxkits View Post
    Do you think we would have an easier time if it was thought of as a medical terminology to cover this.
    Like some that is eccentric like .
    There are so many looking for some one live there life with.
    It come to a point that some have given up looking just because of wearing diapers.
    There are some looking for a reasonable explanation that would be accepted by the masses.
    How many believe that you can give it up which we know most can't .
    In my case it's a part of who I'm.
    To me, it sounds like it would come off as a mental illness. The stigma on that stuff shouldn't be what it is but it is, and so I don't see how describing a medical need for something we don't physically need benefits us as a group at this time. Not to mention that we're not control of how it is perceived, so I don't see any way that we, as a miniscule community, could push this even if it did benefit us.

I haven't been an advocate of describing diapers or regression as "stress relief" or the like. It doesn't feel like that to me, except in the sense that doing something you enjoy often reduces stress. I think setting it in those terms spurs the question of why we don't seek "normal" methods of stress relief or wondering why those more common ways of blowing off steam don't hit the spot.

It treads a fine line. As a technical matter, I can see I've got a dysfunction but properly controlled, it's harmless and can even be beneficial, so I'm not worrying over it. Lots of people have odd quirks, we just happen to have one that suffers from significant social stigma.

I try not to limit my interests in ABDLism to just diapers for therapeutic reasons, I can cherry pick different areas or a combination of many that work best for me and just as equally well depending on my situation and mood.

There is a medical term for us and it's call Infantalism. Unfortunately it's not perceived with any sort of sympathy or understanding. I think all the fetishes are negatively perceived by the general, straight public. I've seen other fetishes portrayed on the old CSI series, such as furries, and "pony time" and they were portrayed as freaky. I agree that it's all in the numbers. If there were many more like us, there would be more acceptance, because there's acceptance in numbers. Since we're not well perceived, we tend to keep it to ourselves, and that makes it harder for the public to accept that we're not that different from them. It's a catch-22 situation.

The difference is mental defects are generally scarier to people than physical defects. The general population understandably sees this as a mental defect.