Thread: Understanding and Percieving the fourth dimennsion

Talking Understanding and Percieving the fourth dimennsion

To understand you must perceive and vise versa.

The only way to see the fourth dimension Is to look at it from all angles from more than from an observers perspective, you must also be able to grasp it with on an emotional level

as a person living with autism, one thing I realize is that while we may find ourselves Questioning a lot of things. We are also constantly thinking. For me I'm the type that likes to think of abstract topics like the fourth dimension.
    It's an amazing subject to study whan you realize how this one concept can affect all other aspects of life.everything from social, econonics to even what you want to watch. A good example to use would be the brain. The left hemisphere is considered to be for anlytical thingking while the right, is considered for creativity. In our lives we need both of these perspective to interact with the world and people around us. that being said, while we can give the fourth dimension a definiftion on how it works, but grasping the situation on what it truly is can be stretching it. that bein said to me the fourth dimension could be like a you being able to see all of time and space for everthing and them simultaneously being able to see yours history as well as our ancestors. human beings becoming connected to one another maybe even more like understanding the way to work with nature itself. my question is does thi feel as if it has an validation to you.

That took all my brain power to read, every single ounce of my degree. That is a topic a lot of people have a doubt on. It has some religious and pseudoscience overtones.

I am not sure how to or if I can answer your question. I am eager to see where this goes.

Quote Originally Posted by tai View Post
    my question is does thi feel as if it has an validation to you.
    Hey tai!

your post is interesting. However, I don't quite understand your question. Was it a general question? Do I agree with everything you said? -OR is there a specific question I'm missing?

Why must there be a 4th dimension, and what do you define as a 4th dimension?

Is it time? Because, if you travel through time as you travel through "regular space" , then yeah, you can see 3-D space as a slide-show of "states" or "properties" such as location - changing through time.

It also makes sense for time to be a 4th dimension because you're already capable of seeing 3-D space in a slide-show . It just moves forward and you have no way of making it move backwards along the time referencial.

Would being capable of moving back and fourth in time be what you consider "being able to see all of time and space for everthing and them simultaneously being able to see yours history as well as our ancestors" ?
    Last edited by toze; 28-Nov-2015 at 23:32.

Firstly what most people percieve as time is that it can only be linear going nack and forth through one own life. but time is connected to everyone and everything even the space that surrounds it. What i propose is that the fourth dimension is not a place but simply a new perspective of how and the way we percieve things and time and space can be one of the aspect. We share experiences everyday with every day but those experiences are only limited to what we think and what we find another person is thinking through voice and facial expressions. Naturally the next step involve empathy in some way shape b or form. That would essentially be seeing time in another perspective. It would be like seeing a square from evey possible angle. Also i don't mean moving through time only that we would be able to see time from more than one person place or maybe even area
    Last edited by tai; 29-Nov-2015 at 11:27.

Some people consider time to be a dimension, so that would make it a fourth dimension. For others, the fourth dimension means the possibility of a fourth physical dimension perpendicular to the three we know. These two seem like completely different concepts to me, but who knows? Maybe on some mind boggling mathematical or philosophical level the two can be shown to be the same. Then again, sometimes the 4th dimension is referred to as 4d + time, indicating time is not considered the same as a physical dimension.

This is already confusing enough for me. That brings up my question: If you want to come up with a "new perspective", why call it the fourth dimension? That name is already being used, and using it for an alternate mental state would only add to the confusion. The concept of enlightenment has been around for thousands of years and sounds very similar to what you are suggesting for this "new perspective".

I am not sure which post to quote so I hope this makes since.

I think there is confusion between the fourth and fifth dimension here.

Space time is the Einsteinian figure of the three dimensions and time is the place of reference to the special existence.

When You start talking about moving from or being in two "realities" at once, then you are going into the fifth dimension of the imagination. So being able to look back at your ancestors point in time can be it two forms. The first is in our reality and looking at documents or pictures from that point in time. The second is in the imagination and looking back in a "dream", which has aspects to the first area, or traveling back in time which is a higher plan and requires a lot high ability that still has not been clearly defined. We an do it mentally, but to do it in metaphysis is still to be accomplished and not fully explained as of yet.

The physical math behind it is so complicated, and as I have found out so far it is real easy to get into mathematical fallacies.

I remember designing a four-dimensional database once and being told that it made no sense to have so many dimensions... but it did. The data for multiple regions were best expressed three-dimensionally, and the fourth dimension encoded the region. I could also see how a fifth-dimension could be necessary in some situations (although I can't remember the details -- it was years ago).

According to superstring theories, reality must have at least ten dimensions -- eleven for M-theory and 26 for bosonic theories.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supers...tra_dimensions

I'm not sure that what you're talking about, Tai, would be considered a dimension in the same way, but have you ever read much about metaphysics? Metaphysics (cosmology, specifically) includes the philosophical enquiry into the nature of reality, and (in my opinion) has much overlap with theoretical physics, quantum mechanics and relativity.

I say "in my opinion" because some people see metaphysics as not including physics, and others have used it as a shorthand for "spiritually-based pseudoscience", in much the way the word "quantum" has been adopted by "spiritual healers" and the like.

Random stuff on metaphysics:
    http://www.importanceofphilosophy.co...sics_Main.html
    http://www.spaceandmotion.com/metaph...t-einstein.htm

The double-slit experiment is my favourite metaphysical experiment that really makes you question how reality works. In essence, photons of light can behave like independent particles when you're watching them, and like waves across a field when you're not. Insane!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAVPRDnzSpE

Something else I found fascinating was the idea that you can (with pure mathematics) invent the concept of fractional dimensions. This is a great documentary on fractals and how, despite their apparently man-made abstract conception, they have helped us to understand how nature works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s65DSz78jW4

If you have the time, this is an amazing public lecture on metaphysics called, "The End of Space and Time?". It's for people who don't already know anything on the subject and includes plenty of slides to make it interesting! You can skip the first ~3m15s of waffling introduction. Even if you are already familiar with metaphysics, I reckon you'll be learning something new from the ~25 minute mark onwards!

Quote Originally Posted by tiny
    I remember designing a four-dimensional database once and being told that it made no sense to have so many dimensions... but it did. The data for multiple regions were best expressed three-dimensionally, and the fourth dimension encoded the region. I could also see how a fifth-dimension could be necessary in some situations (although I can't remember the details -- it was years ago).
    I found this interesting because when I first was exposed to multi-dimensional arrays in computers my mind balked at anything over three dimensions. Having been taught in the early ages of computing, using a prehistoric IBM main frame computer, I was used to encoding very sequentially in machine language, and tended to view data structures in terms of modeling physical reality. Obviously this doesn't work well with computer arrays. It's funny how just a slight change in perspective can make a seemingly difficult concept become something so simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    I found this interesting because when I first was exposed to multi-dimensional arrays in computers my mind balked at anything over three dimensions. Having been taught in the early ages of computing, using a prehistoric IBM main frame computer, I was used to encoding very sequentially in machine language, and tended to view data structures in terms of modeling physical reality. Obviously this doesn't work well with computer arrays. It's funny how just a slight change in perspective can make a seemingly difficult concept become something so simple.
    Ha ha -- yeah. I remember reading a book that said mentioned multi-dimensional arrays and said something like, "Obviously no one would ever need to use more than three dimensions." I thought that was arbitrarily restrictive! Who are the authors to say what my data sets might look like!

In my mind, using a four-dimensional array did model physical reality; it's just that each the dimensions in the array were different to the dimensions of space-time (I wouldn't need to walk amongst the data, after all!).

If you imagine, in multiverse theory, you could theoretically have the four normal dimensions of space-time, and an extra dimension that defines which of the many "worlds" of the multiverse you exist in. In the same way, the fourth dimension of my data corresponded to the region/office. So each office had a 3D data set (a 2D set over time), and the 4th dimension was the office (a bit like the specific "world" in multiverse theory).

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    It's funny how just a slight change in perspective can make a seemingly difficult concept become something so simple.
    Absolutely! I love those "aha!" moments. If only they'd happen more often... :-/