Overheard a mother giving her child permission to use his diaper

Status
Not open for further replies.
SuperiorPenguin said:
I've read text books that were easier to read than that.

Why, thank you. It wasn't deliberate, but as a general rule, I refuse to dumb down my language, unless it's absolutely necessary. English has a wide and rich technical vocabulary, with highly specific terms coined for highly specific concepts. And by God, I will use them.

Akastus said:
In all too many cases, I suspect that the answer is that the parents made the child's life miserable by systematically shaming them for "being a big baby", regardless of how counter-productive it was. I strongly suspect that the use of shame as a motivating tool in toilet training lies at the root of the stigma about adult nappy usage. Children are systematically indoctrinated at a very young and impressionable age, in a potentially traumatic manner, to regard wearing nappies out of infancy as something hideously shameful. Or at least they used to be. It's interesting to speculate....in the long run, will more sensitive, child-centric toilet training remove the stigma? Simultaneously, will being able to "graduate" from nappies at the child's pace remove the desire to go back to them that presumably underlies at least some people's ABDL tendencies?

If I was not an educated man. . .that would have been complete gibberish to me. . .and I agree completely.

For me and what I observed when my sisters were potty trained, it was more of a false sense of "growing up". We were not really shamed, but the fact we were moving up from "baby diapers" to "big boy/girl underpants" was a motivating factor. Further enforcement was done by giving negative emphasis on being "stinky" or "wet" in just the way they said the words or held there nose.

The worst shaming anyone received was when someone would wet their pants in front of another child . . .who would then yell out their association with being wet to babies. Of cpurse, no one likes that sort of attention, so we were further motivated to keep our pants dry.

I believe wholeheartedly that all the stigma surrounding adult diapers stems from how just about everyone was potty trained, with the association that diapers are for babies or people with mental/medical problems, and to even consider using a diaper on purpose is lazy, unsanitary, and a sign of mental illness.

Of course, I believe otherwise, it it is the opinion of the general public.

Akastus said:
Why, thank you. It wasn't deliberate, but as a general rule, I refuse to dumb down my language, unless it's absolutely necessary. English has a wide and rich technical vocabulary, with highly specific terms coined for highly specific concepts. And by God, I will use them.

I agree with this statement with a passion. My dad hates when I "use big words"

I was talking to him the other day, and I was saying

"That person is being absolutely histrionic, look at her she should really behave herself" It was an adult being extremely rude almost throwing a tantrum at a store clerk. My dad asked me to explain what the heck I meant. When I did he still did not understand. My dads an art major.. so yeah..

My son was in cloth diapers and he still didn't train early or was that because we used disposables too?

- - - Updated - - -

SuperiorPenguin said:
I've read text books that were easier to read than that. I really like what you are getting that there, I was "shamed" out of diapers, I wasn't even two years old. My parents made it clear I was to be out of those diapers. My mom always "brags" that she told me If I got out of diapers I could come to work with her instead of going to daycare (which for some reason scared me to death). Along with that she said I could not act like a baby at her officer, at the time I was a baby, I was around 19-20 months old. I've always kind of figured that is what started my AB/DL tendencies.

That sounds a lot like child abuse and I am even surprised that even worked. I am sure some kids still trained late back in the days because shaming didn't work and spankings for their accidents or even holding them down on the chair because not every child will respond well to child abuse and be broken. My mother thinks that is why so many kids wet the bed in those days because they were out of diapers too soon before they were even ready.

dogboy said:
My wife tells me the same thing when we're out in public. Okay....maybe not.

I wish someone would do that to me!

I certainly don't think it's lazy parenting. It's more necessary decision making about calculated risks.

The young mum appeared to be by herself, and had a baby in a capsule and a trolley load of groceries. Even if young Marcus gave her enough warning about the approaching tsunami, I don't see how she could take him to the bathroom with a baby and a cart of food to look after. Even if she took the baby in with her, it would be left outside the stall while she looked after Marcus, and her groceries would probably be gone when she came out.

A nappy or Goodnight saves a lot of trouble there. That's why I think it got referred to as his special undies. He doesn't wear them a lot, but when he does he knows they are for emergency use only, but it's okay if he does wet himself.

He probably just wanted reassurance that it was ok if he had an accident.

HokieABDL said:
I can get a concept of your perspective. In my favorite sport: American "football," by the rules, your foot is only forced to be used at the kickoff at the beginning of each half. ... And why is it a "ball" if it isn't round?

Dogboy being Dogboy :). Interesting couples' roleplay idea, though [emoji14]aci: [emoji3] .

http://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/10022_700b.jpg

This is a regular occurance, even 20 years ago. i remember i was invited when i was younger to a house, for a babysitting interview.. they had two children one 2 and a half and the other 3 and a half.. During the interview, the 2 and a half came running up to his mommy, and said he needed a poo.. the mother just said.. ok.. you have a nappy on. The little boy proceeded to poo himself, right their and then. his mother even picked him up and cuddled him while he did it.. (he suffered from constepation at times..) Potty was right thier..

In another instance, we were in the car, travelling back from somewhere, when the 3 and a half year old, (now 4) said he needed a poo.. The father threw me a nappy and said, put that on him.. I did as requested, and he pood himself in the car.

Its a regular occurance mainly for convenience.

Cheers
Baby Lea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back