Overheard a mother giving her child permission to use his diaper

Status
Not open for further replies.
AddyShadows said:
Sounds like the kid might have some troubles holding it, mildly IC or something? Why call it "Special Underwear" If the kid wasn't potty trained. Idk maybe I'm over analyzing.

I'm glad somebody mentioned that! That's the real bit that stuck in my mind! Talk about over analyse........I spent more time than I should have thinking about this.

Of course, being that analytical genius that I am, I came up with a theory. Obviously any ideas are just fun guesswork, but my theory is:
:Young Marcus is currently going through potty training, albeit a little bit later than some.

:He has always worn cloth diapers, but is now going diaperless for longer periods at home.

:However, he still can't be counted on to stay dry indefinitely, so he wears a disposable or Goodnight when out, hence the mention of "Special Underpants." He isn't wearing a cloth diaper like he used too, but nor is he wearing "Big Boy Pants" either. But he knows if he does wet himself it's okay in those pants.

All pure and utter guesswork of course, and no doubt I've twisted reality to suit my own ideas, but it is possible!

Other conspiracy theories welcome!

Wombat said:
I'm glad somebody mentioned that! That's the real bit that stuck in my mind! Talk about over analyse........I spent more time than I should have thinking about this.

Of course, being that analytical genius that I am, I came up with a theory. Obviously any ideas are just fun guesswork, but my theory is:
:Young Marcus is currently going through potty training, albeit a little bit later than some.

:He has always worn cloth diapers, but is now going diaperless for longer periods at home.

:However, he still can't be counted on to stay dry indefinitely, so he wears a disposable or Goodnight when out, hence the mention of "Special Underpants." He isn't wearing a cloth diaper like he used too, but nor is he wearing "Big Boy Pants" either. But he knows if he does wet himself it's okay in those pants.

All pure and utter guesswork of course, and no doubt I've twisted reality to suit my own ideas, but it is possible!

Other conspiracy theories welcome!

Well Conspiracy Theory was a good movie, so WHY NOT! (That statement was entirely off topic)

Anyway if I had to give a conspiracy theory, I'd say perhaps the mother is letting her child decide when he wants to use the potty. I've heard of some parents using that strategy, the "Let the kid decide when" But I've never actually heard of it in actual practice.

I would say it's lazy parenting to an extent, for example a mother and father could be doing full time jobs and having to potty train is stressful, time consuming and difficult so they might wait longer to potty train them and now with companies making the diapers bigger and can hold more then that's an easy solution for the parents.

There's a short segment on Sky News, here in the UK, that talks about older children in diapers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J7zSmWxYA0&ab_channel=YsfNews

CookieMonstah said:
I would say it's lazy parenting to an extent, for example a mother and father could be doing full time jobs and having to potty train is stressful, time consuming and difficult so they might wait longer to potty train them and now with companies making the diapers bigger and can hold more then that's an easy solution for the parents.

There's a short segment on Sky News, here in the UK, that talks about older children in diapers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J7zSmWxYA0&ab_channel=YsfNews

Plus it's the cost of diapers. Why change a kid every hour when you can buy a diaper that has super crazy absorbency and change it twice a day?

I don't think these diapers can last 12 hours as started, however they are guaranteeing that the skin will be dry for 12 hours. They are referring to the lining next to the skin.

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
I don't think these diapers can last 12 hours as started, however they are guaranteeing that the skin will be dry for 12 hours. They are referring to the lining next to the skin.

You are correct. It just seems disposables today are designed to be changed infrequently....they almost completely sag before they will ever leak.

thoimasgrady said:
It seems kids are staying in diapers later and later. I attribute this, in part, to lazy parenting. I think this is also the reason diaper makers are always striving for diaper capacity, so parents can leave the kids in the same diaper longer.
I think a tiny amount of it is the other way around. Proctor and Gamble, and Kimberly-Clark put pictures of 6-year-olds on their packages of diapers and 8-year-olds on their packs of training pants. Yes I'm being a liberal today and blaming "Big Paper" on late potty training.... Or is it "Big Nappies?"

I know, yes, I'm an American and should call the industry "Big Diapers" ... But somehow, the British name makes it sound more comical. [emoji3]
CookieMonstah said:
It should be called hand egg
... Yes I've seen that poster before. I love the fact they showed a Cowboys' receiver being made fun of. [emoji3] .. Go Redskins! ...( Oops I'm a liberal today, I forgot I need to be religiously politically correct: Go Washington Indigenous Americans!)

thoimasgrady said:
Plus it's the cost of diapers. Why change a kid every hour when you can buy a diaper that has super crazy absorbency and change it twice a day?
... Again my point above :) [emoji14]aci:
Because of today's convenience culture, helped a little by the diaper manufacturers, it's more inconvenient to take little Timmy to go tee-tee while in the middle of the checkout line than to wait and change him in the car.

CookieMonstah said:

:) the video shows my point too.

From my perspective, I would say this kid is doing just fine potty training wise. . .or at least I have nothing to suggest otherwise.

He could have been late to start, medical issues, or just special circumstances that had him wearing a diaper at that moment. There just is not enough information.

He sounds like he is at least trying to hold it and get to the toilet and held it for as long as he could. Only at the reassurance of his mother, did he supposedly wet himself. Additionally, the fact that his mother referee to them as "special undies", suggests he needed some convincing to wear it.

I would not call this lazy parenting, but very considerate and understanding parenting. If the child . . or adult for that matter. .is having accidents or wetting the bed, by all means they should be wearing protection. . .as long as they are used for legitimate accidents or only being used as a last resort. There is absolutely no need for shaming or punishment if they make every effort possible to get to the toilet.

Now, when I have a child, despite being a diaper love myself, I will make every effort to ensure that they are potty trained and encourage the use of the toilet and not diapers, but would agree to and accept the usage of diapers in situations where they may have accidents. That said, if they decided they wanted to wear diapers instead of using the toilet, I would allow it, but only as long as they can remain in control of their bodily functions. In other words, I would ensure their proper development and only allow them to use diapers when they have to or when they are mature enough to make that decision for themselves.

I can't help but find it amusing that we are forum of people who enjoy diapers and at-least some of the population if not a vast majority use them for one reason or another.

LittleAaron said:
From my perspective, I would say this kid is doing just fine potty training wise. . .or at least I have nothing to suggest otherwise.

He could have been late to start, medical issues, or just special circumstances that had him wearing a diaper at that moment. There just is not enough information.

He sounds like he is at least trying to hold it and get to the toilet and held it for as long as he could. Only at the reassurance of his mother, did he supposedly wet himself. Additionally, the fact that his mother referee to them as "special undies", suggests he needed some convincing to wear it.

I would not call this lazy parenting, but very considerate and understanding parenting. If the child . . or adult for that matter. .is having accidents or wetting the bed, by all means they should be wearing protection. . .as long as they are used for legitimate accidents or only being used as a last resort. There is absolutely no need for shaming or punishment if they make every effort possible to get to the toilet.

Now, when I have a child, despite being a diaper love myself, I will make every effort to ensure that they are potty trained and encourage the use of the toilet and not diapers, but would agree to and accept the usage of diapers in situations where they may have accidents. That said, if they decided they wanted to wear diapers instead of using the toilet, I would allow it, but only as long as they can remain in control of their bodily functions. In other words, I would ensure their proper development and only allow them to use diapers when they have to or when they are mature enough to make that decision for themselves.

I'm with you on this one, potty training would be essential but if they wanted to wear in the comfort of their own home I wouldn't mind as long as they use it wisely.

My son was out of diapers right at age three. I couldn't get him toilet trained before. I wonder how parents did it back then if their kid wasn't ready or just didn't understand how to do it or feared being on the potty? From personal experience, you can't really force a kid out of diapers. It will happen when it does, it won't happen when you want it to and trying to force it will just make it harder for the child to learn and even slow it down and have it take longer. My daughter on the other hand won't even sit on the potty but yet acts ready because she will take her diapers off sometimes.

Calico said:
I wonder how parents did it back then if their kid wasn't ready or just didn't understand how to do it or feared being on the potty?

In all too many cases, I suspect that the answer is that the parents made the child's life miserable by systematically shaming them for "being a big baby", regardless of how counter-productive it was. I strongly suspect that the use of shame as a motivating tool in toilet training lies at the root of the stigma about adult nappy usage. Children are systematically indoctrinated at a very young and impressionable age, in a potentially traumatic manner, to regard wearing nappies out of infancy as something hideously shameful. Or at least they used to be. It's interesting to speculate....in the long run, will more sensitive, child-centric toilet training remove the stigma? Simultaneously, will being able to "graduate" from nappies at the child's pace remove the desire to go back to them that presumably underlies at least some people's ABDL tendencies?

Akastus said:
In all too many cases, I suspect that the answer is that the parents made the child's life miserable by systematically shaming them for "being a big baby", regardless of how counter-productive it was. I strongly suspect that the use of shame as a motivating tool in toilet training lies at the root of the stigma about adult nappy usage. Children are systematically indoctrinated at a very young and impressionable age, in a potentially traumatic manner, to regard wearing nappies out of infancy as something hideously shameful. Or at least they used to be. It's interesting to speculate....in the long run, will more sensitive, child-centric toilet training remove the stigma? Simultaneously, will being able to "graduate" from nappies at the child's pace remove the desire to go back to them that presumably underlies at least some people's ABDL tendencies?

I've read text books that were easier to read than that. I really like what you are getting that there, I was "shamed" out of diapers, I wasn't even two years old. My parents made it clear I was to be out of those diapers. My mom always "brags" that she told me If I got out of diapers I could come to work with her instead of going to daycare (which for some reason scared me to death). Along with that she said I could not act like a baby at her officer, at the time I was a baby, I was around 19-20 months old. I've always kind of figured that is what started my AB/DL tendencies.

CookieMonstah said:
It's football! I'm British so I had to say that, it's in my DNA

Funny considering the word soccer had British origins (an abbreviation for association with an Oxford "-er").

Vic92 said:
Funny considering the word soccer had British origins (an abbreviation for association with an Oxford "-er").

Yeah I know the history behind it all but the whole world calls it football and has done for a long time

CookieMonstah said:
Yeah I know the history behind it all but the whole world calls it football and has done for a long time
Funny how we Americans have the British to thank for that "other football" game too :).

HokieABDL said:
Funny how we Americans have the British to thank for that "other football" game too :).

Meh. We're very good at inventing games. Sadly, not so good at playing them. :bleh:

First of all in my time we were cloth diapers and if we were in wet diapers very long it was miserable.
So you had to deal with a cloth diaper that you had to take home and wash and we just couldn't wrap it up and throw it in the trash .
Parents wanted to kids out of diapers as soon as possible our average was in my time between two and two and a half.
If your kid was in diapers longer than 3 years then the parents said well what's wrong with you.
Your childs not potty trained yet well my child was potty trained at two and a half.
Shamed the parents for not having their kids potty trained.
Now the diapers now a days the children don't feel wet so it's not really uncomfortable to be in a diaper.
So there's no real incentive to use the potty .
That's why we're getting later and later you want a child to potty train early you just stick them in cloth diapers and it helps potty training early unless they have some sort of physical problem
I had accident most of my life never wet the bed so that's why they thought I was lazy I just didn't feel it until I absolutely had to go. The nighttime continents was fine but in the daytime I had problems even in school.
Was certainly punish for it.
There were times when I wish I was put in the vinyl covered Training Pants and that would have been a great help but instead I was diapered at one time and that made me what I am today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back