Status
Not open for further replies.

saix

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I know this is very similiar to my recent update post so Ill keep things short
the basic thing is that Im looking for advice or experiences in regards to MRIs
Im going to be in the tube for 70 minutes for a full spine and head scan without contrast
as mentioned in my latest post will be wearing only a gown and diaper and Ive asked that they provide a pad or something similiar for me to lay on in case of leaks
they said there are mirrors so I can see out of the machine and Ill probably have music and headphones
the machine is one with a 70cm bore so better than some size wise I assume
basically just want any tips advice or experiences and questions are also welcome
if anyone has had one done Id like to hear how it went and if incontinence was a factor during it

Ipod and a still nap

I have had a number of MRI and CT scans both with and without contrast. Basically, you can expect a technician eager to get you ready for the machine and a while spent inside a tube not moving. The technicians only care about patient safety and machine operation. They do not have time to concern themselves with much beyond that. They have seen so many people in a gown there it is routine. Diapers are probably not rare either. They try to make the patient comfortable while knowing how uncomfortable people are with hospital gowns. That is just part of their job.

My scans have all gone fine. Did have one instance where my shoulders were a little too broad for the machine and I had to adjust my shoulders until they entered the machine. That was in Japan where the technicians did not know English, I do not know Japanese, and a translator was present. You should be fine in this regard. The only part I hate is CT scan IV contrast due to the whole body burning sensation and the feeling of having wet myself. No wetting actually has taken place, but the contrast messes with the nerves that much for a few minutes. Beyond that, I have not had any incontinence issues related to a scan. Have had to ask to use the bathroom right before a scan and had to go between two different scans once. The technicians didn't mind.

The process is simple. The technician calls the patient back, gives directions for clothing changes, waits for the patient to change clothes, and then gets the patient onto the machine bed. Once in place, the bed moves into the machine and the imaging starts. Expect no metal anywhere near the MRI machine, the bed to move back and forth, and the machine to be noisy. Not sure how music is done. Once imaging is over, the bed comes back out, the technician helps the patient off the bed, and the patient is allowed to change and leave. Then the technician hurries to clean up the area before getting the next patient.

Given the length of some of the scans and how difficult a potty break would be, I am fairly sure they have seen more than one person have trouble holding their bladder. The bed is easily cleaned and recovered with fresh linens. These machines may be used for unhealthy individuals; incontinence is likely to be the least of their concerns. Elderly people, trauma victims, and post-surgical patients regularly get scanned with all of their other health problems. Imagine using an MRI machine on an elderly patient with dimentia, functional incontinence, clostrophobia, and bleeding problems. Good luck with that. Your scan should be fairly routine by comparison.

Hope the MRI goes well for you.

Jeremiah said:
I have had a number of MRI and CT scans both with and without contrast. Basically, you can expect a technician eager to get you ready for the machine and a while spent inside a tube not moving. The technicians only care about patient safety and machine operation. They do not have time to concern themselves with much beyond that. They have seen so many people in a gown there it is routine. Diapers are probably not rare either. They try to make the patient comfortable while knowing how uncomfortable people are with hospital gowns. That is just part of their job.

My scans have all gone fine. Did have one instance where my shoulders were a little too broad for the machine and I had to adjust my shoulders until they entered the machine. That was in Japan where the technicians did not know English, I do not know Japanese, and a translator was present. You should be fine in this regard. The only part I hate is CT scan IV contrast due to the whole body burning sensation and the feeling of having wet myself. No wetting actually has taken place, but the contrast messes with the nerves that much for a few minutes. Beyond that, I have not had any incontinence issues related to a scan. Have had to ask to use the bathroom right before a scan and had to go between two different scans once. The technicians didn't mind.

The process is simple. The technician calls the patient back, gives directions for clothing changes, waits for the patient to change clothes, and then gets the patient onto the machine bed. Once in place, the bed moves into the machine and the imaging starts. Expect no metal anywhere near the MRI machine, the bed to move back and forth, and the machine to be noisy. Not sure how music is done. Once imaging is over, the bed comes back out, the technician helps the patient off the bed, and the patient is allowed to change and leave. Then the technician hurries to clean up the area before getting the next patient.

Given the length of some of the scans and how difficult a potty break would be, I am fairly sure they have seen more than one person have trouble holding their bladder. The bed is easily cleaned and recovered with fresh linens. These machines may be used for unhealthy individuals; incontinence is likely to be the least of their concerns. Elderly people, trauma victims, and post-surgical patients regularly get scanned with all of their other health problems. Imagine using an MRI machine on an elderly patient with dimentia, functional incontinence, clostrophobia, and bleeding problems. Good luck with that. Your scan should be fairly routine by comparison.

Hope the MRI goes well for you.

Great description.

The only thing I'd add is that in my experience, the headphones with music wasn't just for entertainment. The machine itself was very noisy during the test: lots of whirling, knocking, and banging.
In my case, diapers would've been inappropriate because I only have had medical issues at night or while sleeping. I do remember the room being white quiet. So for someone trying to be discrete about it, I'd say it's impossible in that context!

Unless the headphones don't use a magnetic driver to produce sound, you won't be able to take them into the same room as the MRI machine. 70 minutes is a long time to be still under one of those things - mebbe the techs can pipe in music or something.

Traemo said:
Unless the headphones don't use a magnetic driver to produce sound, you won't be able to take them into the same room as the MRI machine. 70 minutes is a long time to be still under one of those things - mebbe the techs can pipe in music or something.
Correct. I have seen headphones like the really cheap airline ones where it is just a pair of small tubes plugging the ears and transferring sound. The last MRI I had they just gave me a pair of ear plugs. Regardless of how the music is done, basically all metal and magnets are kept away from the machine. There are some metals which are MRI safe, but the technicians normally assume metal is not safe out of caution.

My MRI had piped in music. They asked me what kind I wanted, and I think I chose some sort of pop rock, but I never heard much of it because the machine was so loud. I'm sure you will not be allowed to take an IPad or anything into the machine with you because the machine uses very strong magnets. In fact, if you have a metal screw or plate, the machine will pull it right out of your body.

Mri

I have had several MRIs and CT scans also. I am incontinent and wear diapers full time. They don't mind if you wear diapers in there. All the times that I have been in one they have a set of headphones that are like the airliners that use air for the music. They tend to have just about any kind of music you can think of that they can play for you. Just try to relax as best as you can while you are in there. I have been know to fall asleep on some of my scans and they don't mind as long as you are still during it. If you have a comfort blanket that doesn't have any metal they may let you have that with you. Please let us know how it goes for you.

its a foolish question but has anyone experienced pain or headaches or dizziness or weird feelings at all while in the machine?
I dont know why Im so scared its still almost 2 weeks away but Im really nervous about it
thanks for all the posts so far

I have had muscle twitches and a warm feeling I places but that's it for me.

saix said:
its a foolish question but has anyone experienced pain or headaches or dizziness or weird feelings at all while in the machine?
I dont know why Im so scared its still almost 2 weeks away but Im really nervous about it
thanks for all the posts so far
When it comes to medical images, this is my favorite technique. Have not heard of any pain, headaches, or dizziness. This is basically just like an X-Ray from a bigger machine; there is almost nothing happening to the body during an MRI. It uses a giant magnet to resonate with atoms in the body to make an image (Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)). The magnet is super strong and uses a lot of energy to make the field. The noise from the machine is the magnet humming, cooling equipment running, and the power supply working. This is the safest and prefered imaging technique available. There is absolutely nothing to worry about as long as metal is kept out of the machine.

Please stop worrying (being anxious) about the MRI. All that is going to happen is you will lie down on a bed and stay still for 70 minutes inside a giant doughnut ring. There may be a slight warming sensation from the magnetic field; an ultrasound is much more noticeable. Personnally, I do not remember anything beyond a noisy machine and being glad for an extra blanket. Medical rooms tend to not be the warmest places and medical gowns are not warm at all. The worst part of the MRI process is changing into the gown. After that, it is time to lay down and relax for a while. People literally fall asleep in the machine. I have come close to falling asleep and I tend to be anxious during medical appointments.

I believe that you are anxious about the MRI because that is how you often handle new situations. You have mentioned discussing anxiety with your doctor in the past. This is merely another example. You know your doctor thinks the MRI can help you and all you look at is the negative possibilities without any evidence of them being real. Why would headaches, pain, and dizzyness be a possibility? They are only taking an image, not tissue samples. Do you normally worry about pain and headaches when someone takes your picture? Just think of the MRI as a slow camera taking a picture of your inner beauty. There is so much to see that it takes a while.

Good luck with your MRI.

Jeremiah said:
When it comes to medical images, this is my favorite technique. Have not heard of any pain, headaches, or dizziness. This is basically just like an X-Ray from a bigger machine; there is almost nothing happening to the body during an MRI. It uses a giant magnet to resonate with atoms in the body to make an image (Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)). The magnet is super strong and uses a lot of energy to make the field. The noise from the machine is the magnet humming, cooling equipment running, and the power supply working. This is the safest and prefered imaging technique available. There is absolutely nothing to worry about as long as metal is kept out of the machine.

Please stop worrying (being anxious) about the MRI. All that is going to happen is you will lie down on a bed and stay still for 70 minutes inside a giant doughnut ring. There may be a slight warming sensation from the magnetic field; an ultrasound is much more noticeable. Personnally, I do not remember anything beyond a noisy machine and being glad for an extra blanket. Medical rooms tend to not be the warmest places and medical gowns are not warm at all. The worst part of the MRI process is changing into the gown. After that, it is time to lay down and relax for a while. People literally fall asleep in the machine. I have come close to falling asleep and I tend to be anxious during medical appointments.

I believe that you are anxious about the MRI because that is how you often handle new situations. You have mentioned discussing anxiety with your doctor in the past. This is merely another example. You know your doctor thinks the MRI can help you and all you look at is the negative possibilities without any evidence of them being real. Why would headaches, pain, and dizzyness be a possibility? They are only taking an image, not tissue samples. Do you normally worry about pain and headaches when someone takes your picture? Just think of the MRI as a slow camera taking a picture of your inner beauty. There is so much to see that it takes a while.

Good luck with your MRI.

truth be told I was googling stuff and just heard saw people in forums talking about the machine having side effects and got paranoid
Im probably going to worry about the MRI until I get it done but every good thing I hear about it helps a little
I always worry too much but Ill try not to ,just get nervous way too easily

I've had a number of them. Biggest thing is to relax and don't move. The more you move, the worse the scan and they just have to do it again. Figure it'll be cold, and a bit loud. The headphones block most of the noise, but some people freak out. Also, some people don't do well with enclosed spaces (me included) and this goes back to the relaxing part. They may or may not strap you down depending on your condition/size. The tech will help you in any way they can, but understand, like other said, their job is to get you in as quickly as possible, do the scan, and get you out safely.

As for sensations, consider you're inside a giant magnet with the power of several times Earth's gravity (again, very dependent on the type of magnet). Expect some strange feelings, almost like someone is tugging on you from the inside. It doesn't generally hurt, but its likely to feel very strange.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had a number of them. Biggest thing is to relax and don't move. The more you move, the worse the scan and they just have to do it again. Figure it'll be cold, and a bit loud. The headphones block most of the noise, but some people freak out. Also, some people don't do well with enclosed spaces (me included) and this goes back to the relaxing part. They may or may not strap you down depending on your condition/size. The tech will help you in any way they can, but understand, like other said, their job is to get you in as quickly as possible, do the scan, and get you out safely.

As for sensations, consider you're inside a giant magnet with the power of several times Earth's gravity (again, very dependent on the type of magnet). Expect some strange feelings, almost like someone is tugging on you from the inside. It doesn't generally hurt, but its likely to feel very strange.

saix said:
truth be told I was googling stuff and just heard saw people in forums talking about the machine having side effects and got paranoid
Im probably going to worry about the MRI until I get it done but every good thing I hear about it helps a little
I always worry too much but Ill try not to ,just get nervous way too easily
That makes better sense on how you could get worried about side effects. The contrast fluid used with the MRI is what causes major side effects; you said no contrast for your scan so it will not be a factor. Another issue is implants such as metal rods in bones, artificial joints, and other metal objects. These will react to the magnet and cause additional discomfort. Again, I am doubtful that you have such items in you. You will want to remove any metal piercings before the MRI as these may be pulled or heated by the magnet. Plastic inserts should be fine, but it would be best to just skip anything not mandatory during the scan.

I am familiar with anxiety personally. That is a problem of mine also. Worrying about medical tests, doctor appointments, and other things is hard for me to avoid. This is why I have tried to be thorough in my responses to minimize how much unknown you have available to elevate your anxiety. Taking a moment to consider how realistic my worries are helps me calm down because usually my anxiety is over nothing.

LittleICme said:
Ipod and a still nap

I don't think they'll let you take an ipod (let alone headphones) into an MRI. I've seen a few cases where they can give you (or sell you...) plasic headphones/tubes and pipe in some music for you to listen to though.

MRI machines like to give ipods (and other metal objects) a hug.

(oblig XKCD: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/fmri.png)

They've probably encountered plenty of incontinent people before in those machines. I think they even use MRIs sometimes in the diagnosis of incontinence in cases where the cause isn't too apparently due to something physical in nature. So I'm sure the MRI technicians will be familiar with what needs to be done to help care for you while you are in there.

Wearing diapers in there won't be a problem for them and if you're going in there for a MRI on your adnominal area you'll fasting (no food or drink for 8 hours prior) so there shouldn't be anything in your system.
As for implants or metal fusions in the body not all are magnetic, I have titanium rods on my spine which are perfectly safe in a MRI. I've had 23 MRIs in my life and 12 CAT scans, you have nothing to worry about.
As for iPods or anything like that, absolutely NOT allowed, no jewelry,
no piercings and if you have dentures or dental implants they need to know, It's a giant Magnet.

I've had so many in my life cause I have Neurofibromatosis. But as I said you have nothing to worry about. And wearing diapers won't affect anything, I've worn plenty of times, oh they will problem give you a dye, that'll make you feel like you have to pee, the dye is to help with the scan.

No ferrous metals can go into an MRI. Not all metals are ferrous. Titanium, silver, and gold are good examples. The problem with jewelry is that they're almost always alloys (mixes of metals) because pure gold and silver are so soft and would deform or wear out fast if not alloyed.

Short story: if it's attracted by a magnet, it can't go into an MRI. That won't be the entire banned list, but that lets you remove some stuff right off the top easily. They typically will quickly run you over with a hand wand to check for metallic things you forgot about like zipper clasps, the pen in your other pocket, tongue stud, etc. It's about the same thing as they use to wand you at the airport, it's just a metal detector. Metal detectors will pick up things that can't go into the MRI, as well as other non ferrous metals, so they're even pickier than they need to be. So even if you forget something, odds are really good they'll catch it before they let you into the room with the big magnet.

My last MRI was several years ago, but I seized the opportunity to get some sleep.

I woke up - and stopped the procedure - when they decided they needed to inject dye for better contrast views of my perfectly normal head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back