cloth pocket diapers/stuffers in the UK??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukethefur

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Carer
so I've been digging around this site and it seems i'd really like some of the snap-EZ pocket diapers... but when you're talking $20 shipping, it's like a blow to the face :(

does anyone know of any UK-based alternatives for pocket diapers? or even ones that just ship cheaply to the UK.

also regarding pocket stuffers... what's the cheapest/most absorbent thing to use? i saw a post recommending baby diaper cloth material, does anyone know of a site that sells that in the UK?

thanks!

You could make your own there are patterns out there may take a few time's to get it right.
You could have an ab/dl sew you one up too.
Micro fleece is used too. Fabrics stores have this and diaper material

foxkits said:
You could make your own there are patterns out there may take a few time's to get it right.
You could have an ab/dl sew you one up too.
Micro fleece is used too. Fabrics stores have this and diaper material

nice idea but my hand dexterity skills are that of an elephant, and my patience with sewing/handwork is that of an ant. thanks for the suggestion though, is micro fleece a type of absorbent material?

I recommend these pocket diapers from Big Tots store on ebay. I just started getting into cloth diapers and discovered these diapers a couple of months ago and they've become my favourite.

They're 20£ plus 10£ for shipping, they come with an insert but you can buy more at the store if you need. The onwer is very nice and the shipping is fast (except when it gets hold up on customs which for some reason happened last month and this month as well but it's ok, I didn't have to pay any additional fees, just the hassle of waiting a few more weeks).

They feel great, absorbence is good, no leaks except if it's starting to become full of course or if you wash the pocket diaper, not the insert, with water above 35ºc (which I did and kind of ruined one, it's still function but wicks some moisture on the left side). Also if you tend to use diapers that are L size or bigger you might have some trouble fitting on one of these.

Fraldinhas said:
I recommend these pocket diapers from Big Tots store on ebay. I just started getting into cloth diapers and discovered these diapers a couple of months ago and they've become my favourite.

They're 20£ plus 10£ for shipping, they come with an insert but you can buy more at the store if you need. The onwer is very nice and the shipping is fast (except when it gets hold up on customs which for some reason happened last month and this month as well but it's ok, I didn't have to pay any additional fees, just the hassle of waiting a few more weeks).

They feel great, absorbence is good, no leaks except if it's starting to become full of course or if you wash the pocket diaper, not the insert, with water above 35ºc (which I did and kind of ruined one, it's still function but wicks some moisture on the left side). Also if you tend to use diapers that are L size or bigger you might have some trouble fitting on one of these.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm open to others too and of course I'll be scouting around the web. Don't suppose anyone knows of any appropriate stuffers, ideally ones that won't break the bank?

lukethefur said:
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm open to others too and of course I'll be scouting around the web. Don't suppose anyone knows of any appropriate stuffers, ideally ones that won't break the bank?
Baby pre folds work very well.
Micro fleese is very absorbent they're using as liner for diapers inside the diaper.
A lot of baby pocket diapers use micro fleese as an insert now.

you could always take some sewing classes and then you be on your way to make on your own and maybe selling some to others.

I have a dozen of the Snap-EZ 4 Life pocket diapers and inserts. I can tell you from my own experience ... just pay the shipping surcharge and enjoy! I've been wearing for more than 30 years and have even tried adult-sized terry flats; you could use some ordinary terry flats from Mothercare as stuffers, since the pockets will accommodate them. The Snap-EZ product is top-notch and Ruth and Jessica are joys to work with. I don't think you'll regret the postage surcharge.

sbmccue said:
I have a dozen of the Snap-EZ 4 Life pocket diapers and inserts. I can tell you from my own experience ... just pay the shipping surcharge and enjoy! I've been wearing for more than 30 years and have even tried adult-sized terry flats; you could use some ordinary terry flats from Mothercare as stuffers, since the pockets will accommodate them. The Snap-EZ product is top-notch and Ruth and Jessica are joys to work with. I don't think you'll regret the postage surcharge.

thanks for your advice! yeah i'd heard mostly good things about them but it's always nice to have your feelings confirmed further. getting the snap-ez is quite high on my "might-do" list. how much do the terry flats absorb say in comparison to a standard adult diaper?

I think it depends on the number of terry flats you use. The Snap-EZ pockets are quite stretchy; you could probably layer two or three terry flats inside without difficulty.

The microfibre soaker Snap-EZ sells is large ... about 8" X 25" when folded into thirds and inserted into the diaper pocket. Two baby prefolds about equal it in absorbency; with three or four terry flats, you should be able to come close. The problem really isn't leaks or absorbency, it's fit ... the PUL from which the pocket diapers are made tends to stretch and sag when it gets too wet and heavy.

I'm not sure what qualifies as a "standard adult diaper" these days. I honestly prefer the Snap-EZ to disposables because I don't have to worry about tapes giving way, and I prefer them to pin-on adult cloth diapers because they're a lot less work to change. I'm not sure how they'd stack up against velcro diapers like Dependeco offers; I haven't tried AIOs in quite some time.

Last edited:
So the likelihood is I will go with the Snap-EZ (despite the expensive shipping :S) and now it's just looking at stuffers. Ideally I'd like to get the soaker listed on the snap-EZ website as that'll mean I won't have two separate shipping costs (link: http://www.snap-ez.com/Shopping.html#Foldables ) I mean... $25 ish sounds really expensive for a soaker but if it does the job well and survives multiple wettings then I'm sold.

lukethefur said:
So the likelihood is I will go with the Snap-EZ (despite the expensive shipping :S) and now it's just looking at stuffers. Ideally I'd like to get the soaker listed on the snap-EZ website as that'll mean I won't have two separate shipping costs (link: http://www.snap-ez.com/Shopping.html#Foldables ) I mean... $25 ish sounds really expensive for a soaker but if it does the job well and survives multiple wettings then I'm sold.

That does sound a bit costly if it's just one. What you have take in consideration, and I'm sure you have, is that with cloth diapers you're paying more now but in the long term it's economically cheaper than buying disposables. I gotta have disposables still but it's nice having an alternative that can help alleviate my wallet and the environment in the long run.

The Snap-EZ soaker is a big piece of double-layered, thick microfiber cloth. You have to actually boil it before use to release the fiber's natural oils and make it absorbent enough. Folded double or in thirds, it fits the Snap-EZ pocket diapers perfectly. That, to me, is its biggest selling point.

The prep work is the drawback, along with the price per soaker.

I have eight of the soakers and a dozen pocket diapers. I've certainly spent the money on this system, but I don't anticipate having to buy more for several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back