Not open for further replies.

dlinu

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Incontinent
  4. Other
So I have fecal incontinence, and the question is really aimed at others with it. I have not had a job in a bit because I am too afraid to get one with my issue. I want to know how people with it deal with holding a job and advice relating to it. I am going stir crazy just staying at home. Right now I am going to college online, but I want to start working again before I graduate. I am going to school for CIS with a focus on web game programming. This will give me an office job which I hope won't be that bad.

With your field, there should be plenty of opportunities to work at home for the most part. I had numerous bouts of colitis over my 32 year engineering career and have worn diapers to work. You just have to carry supplies and have a plan to take care of yourself when an episode occurs. Be sure to carry sealable plastic bags for the used diapers - the vacuum style bags are best as the plastic is impermeable to odor release.

Dinu, the first step is to seek assistance with your incontinence from a medical professional experienced with that subject. Have you done that yet?

There are many options for dealing with fecal incontinence, but they all begin with proper diagnosis.

--John
(double incontinent and wearing diapers 24/7)

jdinvirginia said:
Dinu, the first step is to seek assistance with your incontinence from a medical professional experienced with that subject. Have you done that yet?

There are many options for dealing with fecal incontinence, but they all begin with proper diagnosis.

--John
(double incontinent and wearing diapers 24/7)

Should have elaborated a bit I guess. I am medically retired from the military for this. Medical options have been exhausted. Massive trauma caused it. Added on to that one of the triggers is fiber. Three GIs (one VA, one military, and one civilian) all said there is nothing left to do. So yup I saw a doc and went through three years of some invasive and non invasive testing. Lost colon and small intestine from the trauma.

Being double incontinent, do you have any advice for holding a job?

I work at Teletech. It is an at home job. It pays more than minimum wage and there are great chances for advancement. For me it is perfect to wear whatever I want whenever I want. If you Google TeleTech jobs go to advanced search and in location drop down to @home and see if you qualify. I believe they may be hiring for tech support and tax related calls here shortly. My department is not hiring at this time.

dlinu said:
Being double incontinent, do you have any advice for holding a job?

I am fortunate or unfortunate, depending how you look at it, to have fecal urge incontinence due to IBS. Fortunate in that I can make it to the toilet most of the time and unfortunate in that I have messed myself in thousands of situations since I was a child. I average about 3 to 4 BMs a day so if I were to plant all of those in my diaper well let's just say it wouldn't be pretty.

Here's some ideas to chew on.

Try and eat well so your bowel movements are regular, so you can predict them reliably. For example, I typically have one right when I wake up, about an hour after breakfast, after lunch and in the evening. The more you can predict them, the more you can anticipate a messy change.
Try a chlorophyll tablet like Nullo. It makes your poop green, but all but eliminates the smell. I have been wanting to try this for years. One of these days.
Wear a disposable with inner leak guards. This makes a huge difference in containment. Suggest Dry 24/7 or Northshore Premium diapers.
Find a job with a bathroom that you can go in and close the door. Completely. Any messes can be safely handled better that way. In other words no stalls.
Find a job close to home, so you can parachute out of work and go home to change if things become really messy. Been there and done that.
Lastly don't let incontinence run your life. I know fecal incon sucks, but you can get out of the house with it.
You could also resort to enemas, a sort of preemptive strike.
Hope this helps and if you get a job, let us know how things are working out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back