Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, I might be screwed... (Definitely, not in the good way)

Default So, I might be screwed... (Definitely, not in the good way)

Before I post this, I'd like to respectfully request not to here that "You SHOULD'VE done this or You SHOULDN'T HAVE done that". I know what my mistakes HAVE been.

So with that out of the way... I got a new house about 8 months ago. I was going to fix up the old place a little and sell it, but work got too busy. So my brother in law and 2 friends offered to rent it. (My first mistake). It was only going to be temporary. My brother in law ended up leaving after 3 months as he was broke and couldn't get a job. The other 2 stayed, and kept paying late. (Yes, another mistake).

Okay here's where a lot of you will say, " Holy crap." They started out with a cat (actually with permission). Then they got a lot bellied pig. Yep And he told me the other day, he rescued a dog, that he wants to keep. (He already has the dog).

And here's the kicker. He told me yesterday, that because he's having a hard time finding a new place to live, he's keeping last and this month's rent ($1200) to make it easier to get the next apartment.

GRR!!!

You advice, thoughts, and prayers are welcome.

MixerOp

Depending on where you live and what you did when they moved in, if they signed a tenant agreement, they legally have to pay first and last I believe. If you didn't sign him into an agreement, I'm not sure if there's anything you can do in that sense.

Kick the halfwits out, and if needed get new keys for your door.

It would seem your B-I-L and friends need advice more than you, starting with "You can't afford rent but you went and got an effing pig for a pet? Seriously?? Take care of business dudes!!!"

So, a little clarification... They aren't MY friends. And there is a tenant agreement. So I think I can take them to small claims court, however I will have to wait until they leave for fear of damage to my house as retribution.

So, here I wait, fuming inside.

Quote Originally Posted by MixerOp View Post
    So, a little clarification... They aren't MY friends. And there is a tenant agreement. So I think I can take them to small claims court, however I will have to wait until they leave for fear of damage to my house as retribution.

These are people without good means to pay rent. The most important thing is to get them out from your property. If you can get the rent, that'd be nice, but first and foremost get them out. If you're still looking to keep it amicable, don't serve them with eviction but just get them to leave to their next disaster. If you think it's necessary to get them out, serve them with an eviction notice but depending on the laws of your state, that might give them more time than you would like.

acorn

Get legal and other advice asap. It sounds like your tenants are very versed in local tenancy laws and are trying to fuck you over. Also, your bro in law should take some responsibility for a situation he helped engineer. Where is he at when you speak to him about all this.

Quote Originally Posted by MixerOp View Post

This depends what state you're in. Many take between 2-4 months to actually get a tenant out from the time that they stop paying rent if you formally want to get rid of them. If you can get them to agree to leave sooner rather than later, it's probably worth a couple months of rent to do so. There may be some local landlords' associations or other help you can get (free legal clinics are around sometimes or you could just do a consult with a local lawyer, it's often free for the first one). If they don't want to leave, you could be in for a tough fight, all the way up to calling the local sheriff to kick them out after a few months of not paying.

Really, as people have been saying, the main thing isn't the money, it's getting out of this arrangement as quickly as possible so that you can rent the place to people who actually can pay you.

ArchieRoni is going to know what he's talking about. That said, you're missing an ideal solution: the pig. Did you know that pigs will completely eat a human body? So......if they sort of died, they could be fed to the pig and who would be the wiser? Yes, all of us, but I'm sure none of us are going to tell. After all, we all wear diapers.