In Search of a new Nappy

Status
Not open for further replies.

KKat24

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I live in the UK, and I've been using and enjoying Tena Slip Maxi for many years. Once they went cloth, I turned to Comficare. Now they're gone too. Can anyone recommend to me a nappy which has great fit, swells up a ton (I prefer SAP to pulp based nappies, so i dislike Molicares), and isn't an ABDL specialty nappy?

I prefer the white, medical nappies but if there isn't one that fits the bill Im happy to switch to an ABDL printed one, as long as the fit and swelling aspects are ticked :) And I usually buy from UK sites or ABDL Factory. Thanks!

Kolibri comslip? Tendercare? some places in UK still supply the Abena Abri form 4 in plastic backing.

Hmmm, well, for SAP-heavy and swelling, I'd go for the Snuggies (Tykables) Waddler Overnight. Or the plain white version, the Tighty Whitey, but it's not on sale in the UK ATM. There's also the ID Expert Slip, but I don't know how that swells.

The Comficare replacement, Betterdry will be coming soon. It's a bit different to the Chinese made Comficare, but if you liked the old one, then you will definitely like this new one. Abri-Form M4s are also back, and don't think they will be going away again which is good :)
ID Slip Super (PE Backed) also swells quite well, as does the Extra and Extra Plus if you want something not as thick. The Tendercare is alright in my opinion, but it's very thin and doesn't hold a great deal at all.

JoJo1993 said:
Abri-Form M4s are also back, and don't think they will be going away again which is good :)

I noticed that on your site. Is there any particular reason that you're aware of? I find it difficult to believe that it's mere coincidence that Abena are re-releasing the PE-backed M4 at the same time that Tena is essentially doing the same thing with the Slip Maxi. Recognition in the industry that textile-backing isn't functional?

Well sort of - Abena isn't manufacturing these for everyone, however after a lot of discussion they agreed to produce them again. They aren't selling them themselves, just to a few different customers on the Continent and the US. Tena is releasing the Tena Slip Active Fit, which they say is because active people prefer a plastic backed product. I'm sure they are only really doing this because I can only assume their sales have plummeted since the introduction of the ConfioAir.
But the good news is: about a year ago we thought plastic backed nappies would die their death and be a total rarity, but it looks like the opposite is becoming true, so no one need worry!

Makes you wonder if end-user purchasers make up a greater proportion of the market than we think. I always assumed that the overwhelming majority of adult nappy purchases were by healthcare providers, but these developments imply that end-user opinion is more influential than we think. Either that or textile-backing is bad enough that even healthcare bureaucracies have taken note.

Tena has been quite secretive about it, but have told us that there are a lot of 'special needs' customers who still require a plastic backed product.

JoJo1993 , when is better dry being released for sale in uk or Europe ?

About 6 weeks at the moment for BetterDry and then another 2 after that for the new Crinklz

JoJo1993 said:
Tena has been quite secretive about it, but have told us that there are a lot of 'special needs' customers who still require a plastic backed product.

The special needs they are talking about are*people with fecal incontinence. The plastic backed ones give us a second to change. The cloth back ones sagged and made leaks more prone to happen. Plus you could smell right away if we had an issue. Enough people did cry out to their suppliers that they told the company why they needed to keep them. That is one of the reasons abena m4s are still plastic backed in the US.

It's astounding that they didn't consider that making the backing vapour-permeable would make odour control extremely difficult, if not impossible.

JoJo1993 said:
About 6 weeks at the moment for BetterDry and then another 2 after that for the new Crinklz

So start of December then [emoji2] ooh new diapers for Christmas [emoji268]

Have a look at Save Express. They're based in Germany, but ordering from them is just as easy as ordering from the UK. The only thing that's a little hard is understanding some of the translations on their site! FYI: "folie" is the word they use for "plastic-backed".

As for recommendations, I think you'd like the Forma-Care X-Plus. The small ones are white, mediums are blue and large are green, but they're otherwise plain.

The have a really smooth plastic-backing, great fit, and are incredibly absorbent -- the large ones can supposedly hold 4.79 litres! The only downside is that, if you put them on really tight, the plastic can tear; so either don't tape them on too tight, or add a little extra tape if necessary.

Small: http://www.saveexpress.de/en/inkont...r.s-nacht-weiss-15.25.03.1999-it-20er-packung
Medium: http://www.saveexpress.de/en/inkont...gr.m-nacht-blau-15.25.03.1999-it-18er-packung
Large: http://www.saveexpress.de/en/inkont...r.l-nacht-gruen-15.25.03.2999-it-16er-packung

so where are you seeing the information on the expected availability of the next run of crinklz?

Perfect thread for me! I have used, still am and have previously recommened this brand to others via this site...it's the Uk version of the Attends Slip! Called the Attends Regular Plus 10 they are not triple-tapes-on-one-side or high-waistbanded but they are good swellers and the tapes are alright despite not being Tena-ish. This may not convince you I really really love them but Tena Slip Maxi's were also my #1 till they went cloth - furtheurmore I've still got a small mountain of P-B Tena Maxi Mediums to work through and I'm yet to try brands like famous non-ABDL brands like: forma-care, those NASA ones, dry 24/7s and Abenas *shocked gasp* ...however in the interim (now that's a nice word #MirandaMoment) they're my favrit Tena replacement...but only because iD Experts don't smell nice - genuinly!

Back to UK Attends: They are avaylable in the UK via incontinencechoice.com - a fantastic site with legendary next day delivery...and finally I will say I'm not afiliated with them! ...and - as you expect - they're avaylable through the home website of Attends UK. Good luck with them if I've inspired you. bringmesunshine

- - - Updated - - -

I can't believe I forgot these but...if you want a nappy that's more like a Old Classic Tena Slip I'd highly recommend the Aidapt brand. I've never gotten round to reviewing them myself - though I'm now enjoying my fourth time wearing them...and by that I mean I'm working through a bag! - but I did post about them sort-of when I discovered them. Type 'Aidapt Adisc' into google and it's my review that pops up in the number one/top spot.

This brand - despite being advertised as premium - are thankfully plastic-backed but are woefully thin in terms of comfort and a little bit risky when it comes to wetting. I'd recommend doubling them up for comfort but there's not much you can do about the absorbtion (except maybe inserting a stuffer - an act I've never tried or even gone near...if that's understandable!). Their fantasic saving grace is they fasten on just like the Tenas of - now :sad: - old and by that I mean they have a long frontal landing strip and none of that double-tape one white one blue nonsense that I dislike but's a style that's way too common!

They're avaylable only via amazon UK but the way I see it they are avaylable! and when my Tena's finally run out i know that from time to time they'll provide the best kind of pseudo-nostalgia...it's as simple as that. Again good luck and happy nappying if you try these! bringmesunshine

Akastus said:
Hmmm, well, for SAP-heavy and swelling, I'd go for the Snuggies (Tykables) Waddler Overnight. Or the plain white version, the Tighty Whitey, but it's not on sale in the UK ATM. There's also the ID Expert Slip, but I don't know how that swells.

Both the Waddler Overnight and Tighty Whities are available in the UK and ship from London. tykables.com/uk

bambinod said:
so where are you seeing the information on the expected availability of the next run of crinklz?

NappiesRUs will be stocking them so we are in contact with the manufacturer.

JoJo1993 said:
bambinod said:
NappiesRUs will be stocking them so we are in contact with the manufacturer.

I should have been more specific. In the United States

Ah... I'm not too sure who (if anyone) is going to stock Crinklz or BetterDry in the US at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back