Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentlySpeaking

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Other
Does anyone know of formulas for adults, i.e. Something that tastes okay and can replace a meal? I looked at the meal shakes but those often taste off to me and are full of sugar, chars or calories, which is complicated since I need to loose weight,

Soylent. If you can get your hand on any. Apparently it tastes like vanilla oatmeal.

WildRoseBaby said:
Soylent. If you can get your hand on any. Apparently it tastes like vanilla oatmeal.

Really?
Years ago, my late Mom had to be fed the adult version of baby formula via a g-tube.
Trouble it, it is very expensive.

This stuff is cheaper because they found away to get around health and safety regulations by calling it a supplement and therefor never did proper testing like the medical stuff.

Did you check the label for Ensure and products like it? Those may compare better than the meal shakes.

Best thing to do is try some protein shakes. If you want that "mild" baby formula taste go for the vanilla flavor. But if you want to actually enjoy a bottle try the chocolate. And finally if you really want the true baby formula experience go for a hemp protein shake. Hemp protein is awesome for your body but kills the taste buds on your tongue, it has the best equivalent taste to baby formula, in my opinion (nasty tasting but good for you).

The serve drinks as nutritional supplements to the elderly who don't eat much. Check out Ensure, also Walmart has an off brand. Closest thing I can think of and they are pretty good.

https://ensure.com

WildRoseBaby said:

Soylent Green?

Does normal milk you buy at the store not work well for this?

And now for a bit of harm reduction: Make sure you get "low iron" formula, which is easy to find. Babies are given higher doses of iron than adults need, and an iron overload is very bad for you. Google this.

Last edited:
Ungulate said:
And now for a bit of harm reduction: Make sure you get "low iron" formula, which is easy to find. Babies are given higher doses of iron than adults need, and an iron overload is very bad for you. Google this.

i drink 32oz of infant formula every day, 5scoops of this brand http://www.membersmarkformula.com/choosing-a-baby-formula.aspx

which totals about 4mg iron per day.
toxic dose is above 10mg-20mg per day, severely toxic is 50mg.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_poisoning

so you could safely have 11 scoops per day, its only a daily treat for me so 5 is plenty, i wouldnt use it like a supplement though

If you want low-iron formula there is Similac PM 60/40. It can be ordered online (I have not seen it in stores).
I actually like the taste of it. A single can makes 102 oz of formula or about 13 8 oz bottles, so it is not cheap.

what do they taste like? I have never actually tasted infant formula since I was an infant

Sorry, not AB, but I have five kids. I have tasted the formula they tried to give my kids and I thought it was nasty. If this were my thing, I'd find something like a protein shake or something worth drinking. For me, actual baby formula wouldn't cut it. But then again, I hate fresh tomatoes. So your mileage may vary. (Not that formula has any relation to tomatoes. The point is just that we each like what we like and dislike what we dislike, so maybe you'll find formula to be the best thing in the world. It certainly isn't for me.)

How do you describe a taste? The low iron has a consistency of skim milk and tastes sort of like skim milk, but, at least to my old taste buds, not as sweet. Possibly the high iron content of normal baby formula is the cause of an off-putting taste.

Silk Vanilla Soy Milk.

teddybearbaby85 said:
Silk Vanilla Soy Milk.

Im with her, though I believe OP was looking for something to completely replace food

Soylent is decent, tastes mostly like oat flour that you added water to, mostly since that's most of what it is. Supposedly has everything you need, but I'd be cautious about relying on it 100% for long stretches of a time. Some people do it and haven't had problems, but who knows. But for the occasional meal replacement or for a few days, yeah it works fine. Not the most pleasant experience, but if you're looking for a complete meal-replacement in drinkable form, it fits the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back