Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys use to cope?

Default What do you guys use to cope?

When you are dealing with serious matters what calms you guys down? (please no drug or alcoholic responses, I partake in no drugs or alcohol)

Tonight when I got off work my husband had taken the 4 boys out and called and said they would be in late so don't wait up. It feels so lonely and sad, but the light of the sunset dancing on the wall was so pretty and magical that I calmed down more than I have been in a long time. It feels like a visit from another place. Maybe I can escape here often. I never knew sunlight could be so healing.

For me, it depends what I'm trying to calm down from. When I have a lot going on, I go for a drive and line everything up and tackle it in my mind one by one. It allows me to create a sense of organized chaos out of my life. When I'm thinking too much, I bury myself in my electronics/programming hobby. The math is calming for me and forces me to focus all of my attention to it. When I get angry, I go for a walk. Time is the only thing that helps with anger and being outside in the country is just soothing. If it's general stress, I'll generally play video games or go target shooting. Basically anything fun that takes my mind off of whatever built the stress in the first place.

I love to play the piano, and I find that music can be a very calming experience for me. I've also been working on meditation using mindfulness techniques which can be very calming and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinating View Post
    Tonight when I got off work my husband had taken the 4 boys out and called and said they would be in late so don't wait up. It feels so lonely and sad, but the light of the sunset dancing on the wall was so pretty and magical that I calmed down more than I have been in a long time. It feels like a visit from another place. Maybe I can escape here often. I never knew sunlight could be so healing.
    I did get a good amount of sun today, it helped a little, but some unknown bug bit me and kind of ruined my mood for awhile. I think the main stressor is sometimes responses I get from various posts here and on facebook. I am learning how to react better... usually I end up cussing people out but I don't need to do that... I hope that I can continue to learn better responses ad I know I've had a few poor ones on here and elsewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arcituthis View Post
    For me, it depends what I'm trying to calm down from. When I have a lot going on, I go for a drive and line everything up and tackle it in my mind one by one. It allows me to create a sense of organized chaos out of my life. When I'm thinking too much, I bury myself in my electronics/programming hobby. The math is calming for me and forces me to focus all of my attention to it. When I get angry, I go for a walk. Time is the only thing that helps with anger and being outside in the country is just soothing. If it's general stress, I'll generally play video games or go target shooting. Basically anything fun that takes my mind off of whatever built the stress in the first place.
    Good advice, I'm actually trying to de-stress by doing a bit of gaming right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ornitorrinco View Post
    I love to play the piano, and I find that music can be a very calming experience for me. I've also been working on meditation using mindfulness techniques which can be very calming and helpful.
    I wish I could play any instrument... I can only sing.

Quote Originally Posted by Premetheus View Post
    I wish I could play any instrument... I can only sing.
    Singing can also work, if you find music that helps release stress. Doesn't matter how well you sing (or play, in my case). It's about how you feel and how it makes you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by ornitorrinco View Post
    Singing can also work, if you find music that helps release stress. Doesn't matter how well you sing (or play, in my case). It's about how you feel and how it makes you feel.
    I have been told I can sing... I have a youtube channel so I might sing something and upload it there I suppose. I just want to learn how to play instruments but I get so frustrated with myself. I am just going to find some things to sing I guess.

Hello

I use several types of calming/coping mechanisms. I have posted one in the group "school house rocks, and have been going to put more in. I have the materials sitting here next to the computer and need to get off my butt and post the rest.

I will get that done by the end of the week.

Egor.

I think I'm pretty much like the others from above. Recently, I've been working on some organ and piano pieces that I want to play in concert. I love Chopin and the beauty of his Nocturnes and Waltzes relax me, as long as I don't play too many wrong notes. I read a lot and I've been working on writing a short story for this site, due out, I hope, in October for Halloween. I also enjoy getting out on my bike and riding our trail. If things get really bad, and sometimes they do where my wife's health is concerned, I pray. That's helped me through some very rough days.

I have a mountain bike I've fitted with a 50cc motor,after a bad day I'll put 60 miles or so on and it really clears my mind. I've had many dirt and large street bikes but this little toy provides more simple joy than any toy or vice I've tried.