Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infinity.

Default Infinity.

Warning: For those who fear infinity, more specifically, the concept thereof (like me), you may not want to read this.

It's about 1:00 now, and I'm having my usual night-time thoughs, where my brain seems to speed up by ridiculous amounts, and makes me think waay to much. One thing I think about is, the theory of infinity. So, here goes.

People, are born. Where we come from, we do not know. Not our bodies, those are simple earthen compounds. Our minds. Where do our minds come from? Where do they go? After we die, our bodies decompose into what they came from. But, what of our minds? What becomes of those? Do we die, and then cease to be? That would mean our minds do not think, and therein, we do not know that we do not think, since we do not exist. Do we die, and then exist into eternity? Then, we think forever... I cannot bear to type anymore, I'm already freaking out... My mind is like "screaming" at me, my heart is racing, tears are running down my face, it's too scary for me to handle... I do not want to exist forever, yet I do not want to not exist forever... There seems no reason to... I cannot do anything but to ignore the fact, yet ignorance is not always bliss... I have these issues quite frequently, and it hurts me, both mentally and physically, the same every time, just as it did the first time... It makes me want to apologize for all the stupid, ridiculous things I've ever done, all the times I've ever let anybody down. It makes me want to make peace with my family, and makes me wish I could get along with them... Most of all, it hurts me that, I'll never be able to get along with my mother, I'll have to exist for eternity, knowing that I'm always going to have a mother, a mother that I cannot get along with, a mother that feels about me as she does... This is one of the roots of many of my mental conflicts, wanting to love my mother, but being unable to... And the fact that I will have to exist for eternity, unable to make peace with my mother, living what I now see to be the best years of my life in a pointless feud with her, simply because of some unknown reason she has for all this... Kinda makes me wonder if these are my best years, where my life is going.
    I know that I need somebody, somebody to talk to, somebody to make infinity a thing to appreciate, someone to exist forever for, yet I feel destined for this to never be... I fear day after day that I will never find that person, the one that I need, to make existing for all eternity worthwhile, to essentially, to exist for...
    And now here I am, a whole post typed up, going insane, no direction on where this topic was even going, or if there ever was, way off topic... I guess all I can end this with is, discuss.

Yeah, I have random thoughts like that too...Some thoughts just drive me crazy (similar ones to that), and then others, I'm able to shrug off.

You should be a philosopher, man. That was beautiful.
    I get thoughts like that a lot. Why are we alive? How do other people see themselves?
    Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
    Ah, life's mysteries. We'll just never know.
    --Evan

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsukuni View Post
    You should be a philosopher, man. That was beautiful.
    I get thoughts like that a lot. Why are we alive? How do other people see themselves?
    --Evan
    Haha, thanks. I guess, when I get scared/deeply motivated, my mind turns its' thoughts into an epic. This is just something that always bothers me, and I just thought I'd see if I could get a discussion going, and maybe get some helpful responses. This sort of thing races through my mind every night, as I lay down to sleep. I just chose this place to finally document what I think.

EmeraldsAndLime

Insanely complex biology has allowed us to conjure up these sorts of thoughts. It's all about self-awareness, the fact we realise that we exist. That is what has enabled us to imagine such questions and innovate solutions to them. If we weren't self-aware, there'd be no one to ask these sorts of questions, therefore no reason for them to exist. Such questions don't possess answers because they are all figments.

But if we were not self-aware, then theoretically, we may not be. It is as the old quote is, "I think, therefore I am." If we do not know we exist, and we do not think, then our mind does not exist; we do not exist. What we are, is a mind, and a collection of memories, thoughts, and data thereof, and if this doesn't exist, then there is no person. I mean, even if we were not self-aware, there would still lie the answer, yet the question would go unasked. The irony in such is that, even if the question is unasked, the answer is still just as far away. There is an answer, yet it is not feasible to understand, with what we know, just as there is an answer to the question of what the highest quantity in the world is. We can comprehend that, in an expression, which would be represented as either the infinity symbol, or in an instruction to find it, such as, in simple computer instructions:

START:
    INC AX
    JMP START

Both are valid expressions for the number infinity. But when we try to TRULY comprehend the concept of infinity, and an intangible mind that will exist for such a period of time, we cannot reach an answer to a question about it, just as the highest number cannot be actually written, short of a representation of it. The question is, indeed, a valid and real question, the answer is just not possible to be ascertained.

Quote Originally Posted by adaffme149 View Post
    Warning: For those who fear infinity, more specifically, the concept thereof (like me), you may not want to read this.

It's about 1:00 now, and I'm having my usual night-time thoughs, where my brain seems to speed up by ridiculous amounts, and makes me think waay to much. One thing I think about is, the theory of infinity. So, here goes.

People, are born. Where we come from, we do not know. Not our bodies, those are simple earthen compounds. Our minds. Where do our minds come from? Where do they go? After we die, our bodies decompose into what they came from. But, what of our minds? What becomes of those? Do we die, and then cease to be? That would mean our minds do not think, and therein, we do not know that we do not think, since we do not exist. Do we die, and then exist into eternity? Then, we think forever... I cannot bear to type anymore, I'm already freaking out... My mind is like "screaming" at me, my heart is racing, tears are running down my face, it's too scary for me to handle... I do not want to exist forever, yet I do not want to not exist forever... There seems no reason to... I cannot do anything but to ignore the fact, yet ignorance is not always bliss... I have these issues quite frequently, and it hurts me, both mentally and physically, the same every time, just as it did the first time... It makes me want to apologize for all the stupid, ridiculous things I've ever done, all the times I've ever let anybody down. It makes me want to make peace with my family, and makes me wish I could get along with them... Most of all, it hurts me that, I'll never be able to get along with my mother, I'll have to exist for eternity, knowing that I'm always going to have a mother, a mother that I cannot get along with, a mother that feels about me as she does... This is one of the roots of many of my mental conflicts, wanting to love my mother, but being unable to... And the fact that I will have to exist for eternity, unable to make peace with my mother, living what I now see to be the best years of my life in a pointless feud with her, simply because of some unknown reason she has for all this... Kinda makes me wonder if these are my best years, where my life is going.
    I know that I need somebody, somebody to talk to, somebody to make infinity a thing to appreciate, someone to exist forever for, yet I feel destined for this to never be... I fear day after day that I will never find that person, the one that I need, to make existing for all eternity worthwhile, to essentially, to exist for...
    And now here I am, a whole post typed up, going insane, no direction on where this topic was even going, or if there ever was, way off topic... I guess all I can end this with is, discuss.
    Infinity doesn't lend itself well to human experience, as there is nothing in our experiential make-up that allows for it. Even standing on the Salt Flats in the USA, you don't see "forever," nor do you see the back of your own head, but rather the curvature of the earth and the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsukuni View Post
    --Evan
    We actually have an answer for that one. I was (and millions were) saying for years that the answer is "egg." This led to "chicken" through mutation. Don't take my word for it: there is an article in The Journal of Irreproducible Results outlining this position

How I think of infinity:

There's a scientific theory (it's seems pretty silly, and this isn't really about the 'science' of it) that suggests that there might be an infinite amount of parallel universes, all different.
    Now imagine that!

That means there could be one universe identical to this one, except that my username is "Bobbybobbob". And one where I'm writing in red, and one where I'm called "Bobbybobbob", I'm writing in red, and the world is ruled by giant monkeys made of glass!

Every single variable can be changed, in an infinite amount of combinations. Scary, but cooool.

As for profound, 'I can't bear to carry on thinking this' thoughts, probably the worst one for me is about how life sort of works:

We are born into a world, a society where everybody is getting on with something, and we get flung into education and start to learn stuff, but...
    Isn't all this a tad surreal?
    I feel like life isn't real at all, especially all the small problems and annoyances we face. Why does anybody do anything? What's the motivation? Shouldn't we be so amazed by the world and life to get anything done?

I mean I'm in university now, and I'll probably get a job at some point, but I can't help but feel like it's just not right. I'm going to university because that's just what I meant to do, and I feel like the understanding the universe thing will be something I'll come back to. But will I?

I worry that I'll get a job, get married, live a normal life and then die. That was never the plan! Yet everybody else does that...

Although I feel different in this respect too, as I've talked to some people and I can tell that this little world is all they care about. Stupid problems making them complain. I mean I get sucked into it myself sometimes, and find myself feeling passionate about things that are really not important.

Isn't it really strange that we do things how we were taught to do them, so we are just maintaining a system that the previous generation maintained and brought us up to understand, and in the tern the next generation will just carry everything on. We get handed this strange society and we just accept it so easily.

This reminds me of the following experiment done with chimps:
    10 chimps were put into a room, and in the centre of the room was a ladder leading to some food/treats. One chimp goes for the food, and the rest of the chimps get sprayed with cold water.
    A few sprays later the chimps learn, and start to attack any chimp that tries it again.

One chimp is removed, and new one replaced. The new one of course heads for the treat, only to be hit by the others.

A different chimp out, a new one in. The new on goes for the treat, the chimps attack including the chimp who didn't 'know' about the water, just copying the others.

8 chimps later...

We now have a room filled with 10 chimps, none of which have been sprayed with water, all of whom avoid the treats and will attack any chimp who tries.

I think that's sort of how we are, but on a much bigger scale!

kitty0230

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post

How I think of infinity:

There's a scientific theory (it's seems pretty silly, and this isn't really about the 'science' of it) that suggests that there might be an infinite amount of parallel universes, all different.
    Now imagine that!

That means there could be one universe identical to this one, except that my username is "Bobbybobbob". And one where I'm writing in red, and one where I'm called "Bobbybobbob", I'm writing in red, and the world is ruled by giant monkeys made of glass!

Every single variable can be changed, in an infinite amount of combinations. Scary, but cooool.

As for profound, 'I can't bear to carry on thinking this' thoughts, probably the worst one for me is about how life sort of works:

We are born into a world, a society where everybody is getting on with something, and we get flung into education and start to learn stuff, but...
    Isn't all this a tad surreal?
    I feel like life isn't real at all, especially all the small problems and annoyances we face. Why does anybody do anything? What's the motivation? Shouldn't we be so amazed by the world and life to get anything done?

I mean I'm in university now, and I'll probably get a job at some point, but I can't help but feel like it's just not right. I'm going to university because that's just what I meant to do, and I feel like the understanding the universe thing will be something I'll come back to. But will I?

I worry that I'll get a job, get married, live a normal life and then die. That was never the plan! Yet everybody else does that...

Although I feel different in this respect too, as I've talked to some people and I can tell that this little world is all they care about. Stupid problems making them complain. I mean I get sucked into it myself sometimes, and find myself feeling passionate about things that are really not important.

Isn't it really strange that we do things how we were taught to do them, so we are just maintaining a system that the previous generation maintained and brought us up to understand, and in the tern the next generation will just carry everything on. We get handed this strange society and we just accept it so easily.

This reminds me of the following experiment done with chimps:
    10 chimps were put into a room, and in the centre of the room was a ladder leading to some food/treats. One chimp goes for the food, and the rest of the chimps get sprayed with cold water.
    A few sprays later the chimps learn, and start to attack any chimp that tries it again.

One chimp is removed, and new one replaced. The new one of course heads for the treat, only to be hit by the others.

A different chimp out, a new one in. The new on goes for the treat, the chimps attack including the chimp who didn't 'know' about the water, just copying the others.

8 chimps later...

We now have a room filled with 10 chimps, none of which have been sprayed with water, all of whom avoid the treats and will attack any chimp who tries.

I think that's sort of how we are, but on a much bigger scale!
    The dino egg is always my answer to the egg question too!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    Now imagine that!
    It's strange to think of it this way, but this is a very "modern" viewpoint to hold. The guy who came up with this is the father of the Eels lead singer (it's in another thread; search for NOVA and PARALLEL).

Point being, of course it seems silly to us; we've been steeped in it so much that it becomes part of our awareness.