Status
Not open for further replies.

theQman

Little Guitarist
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
So, who on here has been lonely before? I'm gonna assume everyone has at some point. However, some are probably lonely a bit more often than others, and it's pretty likely that I fall into that category. Though I have friends, I'm a relatively isolated guy and I spend a vast majority of my time by myself. My life is also dreadfully lacking in affection. Given that I just started college and I'm insanely busy, this hasn't been much of an issue lately, but eventually, that lack of closeness really starts to get to me.

I've found that when loneliness starts setting in, nothing helps better than grabbing my teddy bear and just snuggling the crap out of it for awhile. Surprisingly, it legitimately satisfies that painful craving for affection and within a few minutes I feel completely better. Don't get me wrong, it's still not as good as actual human contact/affection, but it's a great temporary solution. Does anyone else do this? Can you relate at all?

Believe me buddy, I can definitely relate. Amazing thing about lonely people is the solidary that they feel toward fellow allies against loneliness. Anyways, I can relate to what you're going through. I am a senior in college, and a biochemistry major and work in a lab; I know what you mean by insanely busy at the college level! In my life I am an only child, disowned by my mother's family and all my dad's is dead, isolation and me time is second nature. Family was never really affective, and closing in in 22 I've never been kissed, let alone laid. wouldn't know what to do if a girl showed the slightest interest in me.

Ramblings aside, I know what you mean. I used to try to find comfort often at the end of a liquor bottle, but it never came. I don't have a Teddy Bear of my own, but I have a body length pillow that I will cuddle the hell out of some nights just to not feel alone, and that very sensation of having the arms full make those feelings disappear. Until awake. It works, and I can see myself doing it for some time.

Stay strong, friend, loneliness can be a serious beast

Yup definitely. I don't have many friends I see often and I spend most of my time alone and my teddy bear keeps my company :)

I've felt lonely before but it hasn't happened often and I've never felt too lonely, but I've had my moments (like most of us have probably had) for sure.

When I was younger I use to have some plushies and probably enjoyed them, but don't remember being super into them. However, about 2-3 years ago I got a stuffed Simba plush and have slept with him just about every night and he's definitely comforting to have around. No matter what, I can always count on him being on my bed every night waiting for me and no matter what I've done or am doing, I can expect no negative judgements from him.

Honestly, I wish I could appreciate my plushies more and that they still held the power they use to have. For instance I'm still totally aware they're "just" stuffed animals with no real feelings or emotions, granted I'd feel weird doing something that could hurt them (like storing them in an uncomfortable position or tossing them around).

But anyway, I love having my Simba plush around and whenever I'm down (whether it's from being lonely or other things) he's definitely comforting so I can relate to how you feel.

FudgedInLuvs said:
I don't have a Teddy Bear of my own, but I have a body length pillow that I will cuddle the hell out of some nights just to not feel alone, and that very sensation of having the arms full make those feelings disappear. Until awake. It works, and I can see myself doing it for some time.

Sounds like you could use a little plush friend to have around yourself.

OMG yes! I love snuggling my plushy tiger when I'm lonely or just feeling down. I also have pretend conversations with him (just imagination, I'm not crazy). It really helps me work my feelings out sometimes. You have hit on a thread that a lot of people here can relate to.

and I talk to my stuffed animals all the time when I feel lonely.

TheCaptain said:
For instance I'm still totally aware they're "just" stuffed animals with no real feelings or emotions, granted I'd feel weird doing something that could hurt them (like storing them in an uncomfortable position or tossing them around).
I've gotten to the point that my bear is somehow more than just an inanimate object, and I get kind of bummed out whenever I start to get in that "it's just a toy" frame of mind. I can so relate to not wanting to hurt him though. Once, he fell from the to shelf of my closet where I keep him, and I darted over to him, picked him up and started whispering to him how sorry I was and trying to comfort him... it occurred to me that he wasn't actually a living thing but I didn't care. Kinda funny how that works.

- - - Updated - - -

Little2Roo and Milko, Oh god, don't get me started on talking to them :laugh: These days it's usually just cutesy baby talk type stuff not full conversations but I do find myself telling him about my feelings every now and then.

Funny story, when I was little I actually believed my stuffed animals could communicate with me. One time when I was 6, I tried writing "are you happy" on a piece of paper and leaving it in front of my favorite kitty plushy. I was playing video games at the time and about 10 minutes later I turned around and it said "yes :)". Mind. Blown. What I didn't consider is that I was so engrossed in the game that my dad literally did it right behind me without me noticing. It gets better. He then continued this charade for entire year and a half without me knowing it was him. So from kindergarten to the start of 2nd grade, I literally thought all my stuffed animals were alive.

*Hugs* I do snuggle my bunny but my teddybear stays on the shelf. I mostly miss my husband since he works away from home. I miss being able to hug my 4 sons. Only 1 is home right now but teenage boys are always trying to get away from mom's hugs. It is a good thing I also have 4 daughters. One is on here though so just gets virtual hugs. Why does life seem to separate people so much?

I hug my bear bear all the time and sleep with him too.
I must say a pet is the best kitty or doggie they show os much love .
Miss mine so much.

I do a lot of solitary hugging my teddy bear, "Howard Hug" too.
When feeling really down and lonely he cheers me up.
Teddy bears do not get angry at me.
They are filled with unconditional love and caring.

theQman said:
I've gotten to the point that my bear is somehow more than just an inanimate object, and I get kind of bummed out whenever I start to get in that "it's just a toy" frame of mind. I can so relate to not wanting to hurt him though. Once, he fell from the to shelf of my closet where I keep him, and I darted over to him, picked him up and started whispering to him how sorry I was and trying to comfort him... it occurred to me that he wasn't actually a living thing but I didn't care. Kinda funny how that works.

- - - Updated - - -

Little2Roo and Milko, Oh god, don't get me started on talking to them :laugh: These days it's usually just cutesy baby talk type stuff not full conversations but I do find myself telling him about my feelings every now and then.

Funny story, when I was little I actually believed my stuffed animals could communicate with me. One time when I was 6, I tried writing "are you happy" on a piece of paper and leaving it in front of my favorite kitty plushy. I was playing video games at the time and about 10 minutes later I turned around and it said "yes :)". Mind. Blown. What I didn't consider is that I was so engrossed in the game that my dad literally did it right behind me without me noticing. It gets better. He then continued this charade for entire year and a half without me knowing it was him. So from kindergarten to the start of 2nd grade, I literally thought all my stuffed animals were alive.

I'm jealous of you guys, lol. I want to be able to talk to mine without feeling like I'm talking to a stuffed animal (or at least be okay with it) and get the feeling more like I'm communicating with something. I'm just not there yet though. Still a comfort to have around none the less.

Maybe I'll post a pic of my plush collection. Good topic

I always like to cuddle my plushies when I'm alone. I like to talk to them and I let the know that I love and care about them and I know they love and care for me as well. I really can't imagine a life without them really and I would be devastated if anything happened to them.

I'm not lonely as I go to bed with my wife, but I always sleep with my big teddy bear. There's two other plushies in bed with me as well. They give me a sense of peace and comfort, sort of like they're watching over my wife and myself.

theQman said:
What I didn't consider is that I was so engrossed in the game that my dad literally did it right behind me without me noticing. It gets better. He then continued this charade for entire year and a half without me knowing it was him.

You had a great dad!

I love my plushies, I talk a lot to them and imagine (or believe rather, hahah) they all have a personality of their own.
Yes, plushies sure help when you're feeling down or lonely.

I have snuggled with one lots as far back as I can remember.
I know so much how one can help with being lonely.
As said I know real interactions with people help can more than a plushie.

I have talked to some now and then, just to get things out without worrying
about what others may think or say.
I know they can not answer or anything, just help to get things out without being criticized and/or judges.

I also fall asleep so much easier snugging one too.
When at home always have one close for a quick snug, even one in my car for that too.

When at a con I can carry one around and no one even looks twice.
I am happy when I can carry one in a public area like that, makes me feel more relaxed.

One thing I always say about plushies is, one is never to old to have one.

Last winter I lost a most beloved family member and friend, my dog. He was old and had serious problems with his hind legs, so I had to make the difficult decision... A few weeks ago our fifteen year old cat went missing, so here I am without any pets. We have always had a cat or dog and especially the dog helped me through alot of tough times.

A few hours ago I hugged and talked to my plushie about all of my problems and feelings. I did NOT think it was going to work but I fell asleep and slept like a baby. Now I am a believer in the miracle of plushies again :D

Zebben said:
A few weeks ago our fifteen year old cat went missing, so here I am without any pets.

As a person that has had cats around almost my whole life, I'm sorry to hear about your dog and cat.

I have mine with me every night, in fact he just got a bath and fresh onesie shirt! Don't think he enjoyed the spin cycle too much though! Being single in your 40's sucks, but at the same time, no relationship issues to drag you down in life, hear about them all the time from my non-single friends, I am happy with not having another stress in life. My snug bear Shmeddy is waiting for me! Night!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back