Not open for further replies.

Milko

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Carer
So ever since I upgraded to Windows 7 a week ago or whenever it was, for some reason youtube videos won't display. Like the audio is fine but the video is just black. It was fine in Windows 2000 but it won't work properly in 7.

And even weirder, when I'm on a different tab on my web browser and I hover the mouse over to the youtube page, I can see the video (just a still image obviously but it's there) and the same happens with that preview thing when you hover the mouse over minimized stuff.

I have a feeling it may be my graphics card (nvidia geforce FX5200) since it isn't supported in Windows 7 but I can't find a better one for my AGP system for a decent price. So could it be the graphics card? I've installed the vista drivers since those are the latest ones you can get but I still have the issue. Not too sure what to do. Oh and I've tried different web browsers and none of them work.

I might try flash but I'm pretty scared since the whole security thing happened. I've been using HTML5 mainly for about 2 years.

The best thing would probably be to just replace the graphics card but I can't find any decent ones for a good price on ebay..

PaddedPuppy said:
As far as I can see that graphics card is very old and was relatively basic even when it was first made. Even modern shared graphics built in to motherboards outperform this!

You could quite easily get much better, newer hardware to replace it all for a good price. I bought a dual core desktop PC for £18 on eBay in full working order.

I'm kind of reluctant to get a new computer. I built this one myself a few months ago using components my friend gave me, and it performs fine apart from graphics wise. And it's the first computer I built myself so it's kind of special to me :) I'm trying to get the most life out of it as I can. Supposing it doesn't explode or anything I think it'll last me another year or two maybe at least. After that I'll probably build a much higher end system to replace it.

Milko said:
I might try flash but I'm pretty scared since the whole security thing happened. I've been using HTML5 mainly for about 2 years.

Ohhh yeahhh... Sorry -- I still live in the past! I assumed everyone had Flash installed. :-/

You might find Futuremark Peacemaker interesting. It's a site that supposed to test your "browser speed", but the tests uses HTML5 videos, so it would give you some idea of whether your PC/browser/graphics-card are capable of playing HTML5 video smoothly.

http://peacekeeper.futuremark.com/

It also makes me think that, if you're having issues in one browser, have you tried any others to see if the problem still occurs?

What browser are you using and what processor does your computer use? Others already pointed out the most likely culprits:

-HTML5/Flash support issues
-graphics card issues

I don't know the exact specs on that card but it is pretty old. However I imagine it should be able to do 1080p video. It's really gaming and graphic editing/rendering that really require some power.

TheCaptain said:
What browser are you using and what processor does your computer use? Others already pointed out the most likely culprits:

-HTML5/Flash support issues
-graphics card issues

I don't know the exact specs on that card but it is pretty old. However I imagine it should be able to do 1080p video. It's really gaming and graphic editing/rendering that really require some power.

I'm using SeaMonkey 2.33.1 I think. Whatever the latest version is. Computer is a 3Ghz Pentium 4

Milko said:
I'm using SeaMonkey 2.33.1 I think. Whatever the latest version is. Computer is a 3Ghz Pentium 4

If Chrome has trouble playing YouTube videos then it's most likely a hardware thing. Honestly, it sounds like your hardware is just too outdated. I was wondering if maybe your CPU had some graphics capabilities (it doesn't unfortunately). On nVidia's site, they explicitly say that your card is supported on up to Windows XP at the latest so it could very well be an incompatible driver issue as well (as a matter of fact, this is what it probably is).

You probably won't like my opinion, but I'd say you're better of getting a (relatively) inexpensive Chromebook or cheap laptop/desktop in the meantime and saving up to build yourself a decent rig getting each component separately. Investing in the newest tech is pricey, but you're not only investing in better performance, but also the longevity/compatibility of your components. The "newest" components won't be the newest for long. With that said, getting the newest, flashiest, priciest gear isn't necessary, but starting out with/using extremely outdated stuff will inevitably lead to being forced to upgrade. Even using the newest stuff it's still inevitable, it'll just take way longer for those components to reach that point.

TheCaptain said:
If Chrome has trouble playing YouTube videos then it's most likely a hardware thing. Honestly, it sounds like your hardware is just too outdated. I was wondering if maybe your CPU had some graphics capabilities (it doesn't unfortunately). On nVidia's site, they explicitly say that your card is supported on up to Windows XP at the latest so it could very well be an incompatible driver issue as well (as a matter of fact, this is what it probably is).

You probably won't like my opinion, but I'd say you're better of getting a (relatively) inexpensive Chromebook or cheap laptop/desktop in the meantime and saving up to build yourself a decent rig getting each component separately. Investing in the newest tech is pricey, but you're not only investing in better performance, but also the longevity/compatibility of your components. The "newest" components won't be the newest for long. With that said, getting the newest, flashiest, priciest gear isn't necessary, but starting out with/using extremely outdated stuff will inevitably lead to being forced to upgrade. Even using the newest stuff it's still inevitable, it'll just take way longer for those components to reach that point.

It's not that outdated. Apart from the graphics :). I'm doing a bit of a thread on my computer when image uploading starts working again and I explain a bit about why I use it.

When I said hardware, I was pretty much referring to your video card so that's my bad for not being more specific. I may be mistaken (so correct me if I'm wrong), but that graphics card is over 12 years old. That is ancient as far as tech standards go and is very likely the source of your problems. While there are stories of people successfully using the Vista drivers to make it work on Windows 7, it seems there are an equal or greater amount of horror stories of it not working. Granted even successfully getting it to work is still a workaround to jury rig something that's not designed to work a certain way to have it work that way. Are you using the driver Microsoft supplies? That could also be the problem. From what I've read, a lot of people were able to get it working using modified drivers they found online (sorry, I can't cite any specific sources for fear of giving a bad source). This is your rig you designed so you do probably know what's best. It could also be your bios not recognizing the driver that's unique to your card (it could be trying to use Microsoft's generic graphics driver). Either way, IMO it sounds like it's a driver thing with your graphics card.

Keep us updated and let us know when you get that thread up. I wish you the best of luck with it!

TheCaptain said:
When I said hardware, I was pretty much referring to your video card so that's my bad for not being more specific. I may be mistaken (so correct me if I'm wrong), but that graphics card is over 12 years old. That is ancient as far as tech standards go and is very likely the source of your problems. While there are stories of people successfully using the Vista drivers to make it work on Windows 7, it seems there are an equal or greater amount of horror stories of it not working. Granted even successfully getting it to work is still a workaround to jury rig something that's not designed to work a certain way to have it work that way. Are you using the driver Microsoft supplies? That could also be the problem. From what I've read, a lot of people were able to get it working using modified drivers they found online (sorry, I can't cite any specific sources for fear of giving a bad source). This is your rig you designed so you do probably know what's best. It could also be your bios not recognizing the driver that's unique to your card (it could be trying to use Microsoft's generic graphics driver). Either way, IMO it sounds like it's a driver thing with your graphics card.

Keep us updated and let us know when you get that thread up. I wish you the best of luck with it!

I use the vista drivers and they seem to work fine apart from this online video watching. Yeah I'll let everyone here know when the thread's up. I was writing it the other day but when I found out I couldn't put in images I copied it to a word document and worked on it a bit more. So now I just need to copy it over and put in pictures when they're working again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back