Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Other
Right now, cloth diapers would be easier to wear more often. It'd be easier to clean something than throw away disposables constantly. I doubt I'd like them better than disposables, but I wanna get a cloth diaper or two! But.... ummm.... I don't really know what I'm doing! I need.... a diaper and plastic pants? Do I need anything else? A cloth cover? No? Also, I don't know what to look for brand-wise... I don't wanna spend a bazillion dollars, but I want something decent. Something that can absorb a bit. (I don't know that I would mess often.... maybe sometimes... but that's a whole lot more cleanup than with disposables! I dunno.) I want cuteness too! Stressed out lots lately, so more diaper time might help!

Have you thought about flour sack cloth towels? These make great diapers and are very absorbent. They are the closest to the old fashioned Curity diapers. You can buy them at Amazon or other on line sites. They are a lot cheaper then some of the abdl sites and you can use them to dry dishes too if they don't work out as diapers.

Your decision depends on what you actually want in terms of thickness, ease of use, laundering, and a few other things.

You have All In Ones that are a one piece garment that are the most like disposables. They are designed just like disposables for ease of use, but they tend to not last as long, the waterproof lining will not last as long as the padding, can take longer to launder, and it's more difficult to get rid of odors. More than likely, you will need plastic pants because most of these have compassion leaks and they aren't designed like disposables regarding leg gatherers and leak guards and the material is sewn on top of the leak proof lining without a barrier system. You can only as so much extra padding before it leaves you diaper prone to leaks.

Pocket diapers are like All In One diapers, but they the bulk of the padding in a separate pad that you stuff in between the linings. It's easier to launder these, easier to get rid of odors, it's still pretty easy to apply. You will still be prone to the same leaks above and have less coverage area.

Prefolds and Plastic Pants are the original way of cloth diapering. It's the most customizable way of diapering. You can choose the thickness, colors, fabric of padding. You can choose different plastic pants colors, materials, height, width, style, and much more. There's easier ways other than pins to apply the diapers. The only cons to these is that it could take longer to put on. As I said though, products such as Snappi Fasteners, Boingo Fasteners, and others that make it a lot easier to put on.

Before you buy any of these products, I would suggest investing in a fabric tape measurer to ensure your purchase will be right for you, and actually fit you. These are pretty cheap and can be found in Wal-Mart or other fabric stores. This way you won't waste money.

A lot depends on you size and wants.

As for diapers there is several options.

1) buying diapers;

I got my diapers from Baby Pants and I tried all three types they have. The birds eye cotton is very think and absorbable. The cotton twill is less bulky and just as absorbent. then my favorite is the cotton gauze. They look and feel like a real baby diaper. The price is comparable on all of them and you are talking about $20+ for each.

2) make you own.

My mom used flannel diapers on me (basically the flour sack mentioned earlier). I have bought flannel at the fabric store, but over the year they have changed the fabric types and names so you need to look for or ask for diaper flannel.

As for the folding I googled "how to fold a baby diaper" and found several good sites for the description on how to fold flat diapers.

As for plastic pants Again I have gotten mine from baby pants and been relatively pleased. They sell there own brand and gray. Again size effects the price.

I hope this helps.

Hi Shippo.....long time. I've been buying pre-fold night weight gauze diapers from The All Together Diaper Co., but I've actually been getting them through Amazon.com. I think they're made by Leakmaster. I also get the Leakmaster high top plastic pants and they're very comfortable. The high tops cover more of the diaper which you may want if you are going to sleep in them at night.

thank you for all the replies so far!

Online is my only safe way to buy stuff like this. I sorta like what Trevor posted. Although I'd want cute plastic pants or a cute cover over them. Not sure where to look for them.

You might take a look at Snap-EZ.com. I have about a dozen of their adult pocket diapers.

The great thing about them (aside from the appearance, which I love, and the various colors available) is that the insert comes out and you can wash and dry the cover. There's minimal dryer time, which certainly helps.

I've actually used prefold baby diapers as inserts, but a microfiber towel would work equally well, I imagine. They're not cheap, but you only have to buy them once.

In my experience, microfibre towels are perfect as inserts, they are not too expensive comparing to prices of pre-made microfibre inserts and also comparing to disposable inserts or using baby diapers. I have always used microfibre inserts or towels to pad up :)

I will not be using a clothes dryer. They will be sink washed, probably with Dawn, and then air dried. (probably on a towel rack in my room with a fan pointed at them) :sweatdrop:

microfibre diapers... sounds comfy!

In that case you would probably do better with a flat fold diaper like a flour sack cloth type. Prefold diapers with multiple layers down the middle take a long time to dry in a drier never mind air drying. Plastic pants shouldn't take long to dry.

Start with 2 pair of water proof pants, their a lot of different ones out there. order at least one size larger to give plenty of room for diapers, then you might try a 80 to 100% cotton towel for your diaper. and check out the diapers and plastic pants from changingtimesdiaperco.com and babypants.com I have order from both places.

ShippoFox said:
I will not be using a clothes dryer. They will be sink washed, probably with Dawn, and then air dried. (probably on a towel rack in my room with a fan pointed at them) :sweatdrop:

microfibre diapers... sounds comfy!

I'd be cautious using dish soap, as it's not made for fabrics. I'm not sure how well it would remove urine.

ShippoFox said:
thank you for all the replies so far!

Online is my only safe way to buy stuff like this. I sorta like what Trevor posted. Although I'd want cute plastic pants or a cute cover over them. Not sure where to look for them.

Fetware does have some cute printed plastic pants, although they have so many, it can be kind of a hassle finding them. Look at http://www.fetware.com/abdl-favorites-c-25.html for a distillation. http://baby-pants.com/plastic_PantsClassic.php also has some nice prints that you may find appealing.

KimbaStarshine said:
I'd be cautious using dish soap, as it's not made for fabrics. I'm not sure how well it would remove urine.

I would wonder about that as well, just from the difference of the two kinds of soaps on my hands. You could always use laundry soap but hand wash (get some gloves).

Hand washing with laundry soap (powder) isn't that tricky. We did this while travelling, soaking and washing our clothes in the hotel basin is surprisingly effective.

They use Dawn to clean animals after oil spills. It's a pretty safe, and yet adequately powerful, cleaner. I don't have access to the laundry detergent anyway. I think the main issue is that dish cleaner detergents aren't made for clothes washers, which I'm not using. I already washed my night gown & it worked pretty well.

Changing Times has prints in both regular and PUL pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back