Tips for changing messy diapers w/o a shower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilesTheFox88

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
My fiance / caretaker wants to take me out on some adventures in public, but isn't confident about messy diaper changes without a shower available.

I'm looking for tips to build his confidence. Anything additional he should put in the diaper bag for the possible messy diaper change in a family restroom or backseat of the car?

Baby wipes, baby wipes, and more baby wipes. Those have saved me so many times, and they smell really awesome too. Regarding his confidence, all I can say is practice makes perfect :) I'm sure it will get easier for both of you once you have some experience your belts.

Like the above, lots of wipes. You can also get bigger wipes if baby wipes aren't enough.

Agreed on the baby wipes post! If the mess is not too smushed around I can clean up with 2 or 3 wipes, if you are on your bicycle you'll need the whole box!

Indeed, baby wipes and don't forget the powder or rash cream in your bag :eek:

Nam Repaid said:
if you are on your bicycle you'll need the whole box!
Oh God :laugh: That killed me

Heh, thanks guys. I'll start looking for some bigger wipes.

If you are in Canada get the shoppers Drugmart life brand adult wipes they work great and are about half the cost of the attends wipes. I find the bigger wipes help you clean up way better then the smaller ones.
I have only had a few bowel accidents and never out side of out home but the larger wipes made the cleanup a breeze.
Just remember to keep,plastic garbage bags for diaper disposal in your backpack

If you put on a barrier cream before
Like desitine and use proper grooming methods (no hair) clean up is fairly easy, the cream helps things not bond to the skin.

Lozza1979 said:
Sorry, but I think a shower is an absolute must after messing a nappy. Wipes just won't cut it. Just my opinion though.

Understandable.

But...

I am not 100% sure but it sounded like the OP will have another person changing his diaper and cleaning up. In this case, I think wipes are fine. The caretaker can easily make sure his bum is clean. On the other hand, if he will clean himself, I can see where using wipes may leave a few traces but he'll put on another diaper - so...so what? He can then take a shower once back home.

I say...go for it.

BabyDenise said:
Understandable.

But...

I am not 100% sure but it sounded like the OP will have another person changing his diaper and cleaning up. In this case, I think wipes are fine. The caretaker can easily make sure his bum is clean. On the other hand, if he will clean himself, I can see where using wipes may leave a few traces but he'll put on another diaper - so...so what? He can then take a shower once back home.

I say...go for it.

Yes, my fiance who has taken up the caretaker role would be doing the changing.

And I also agree with Lozza. This would very much be temporary, and I'd probably get tossed in the shower upon arriving home.

Seems obvious, but let's reflect for a moment.

So.... what does a parent do for an actual baby when they are away from home and cannot be showered? Ummm, this happens every day, millions, if not billons of times across the world. If you are an adult baby and needing taken care of, well... It seems the same concept, except on a bit larger scale. Larger changing pad, larger baby wipes (and perhaps more of them), baby powder and cream, and something to contain the soiled diaper and wipees to dispose of. But the "end" result (no pun intended), is a clean bottom and everything taken care of, and a freshly scented and acceptable situation.

It is again a bit larger scale, but certainly not one that cannot be acceptably handled if you have the proper items. Having someone to actually help in this verses doing it yourself ensures a very positive result.

For me, your real concern seems to be not whether it can be done, but rather, is there an acceptable place to do it? You are not going to find adult sized diaper changing tables in most bathrooms, and doing this in the park or in a public place could end you in a not so comfortable conversation with your local law enforcement. Hence, carefully identifying WHERE you can do this away from home and a shower is a much more important consideration than the question of whether a shower is necessary.

:detective3

Teddy Bear Cowboy

I just use baby wipes , but I never go out wearing a nappy / diaper

If you are using cloth diapers, sew together some large cloth wipes(large) and roll them in your diaper zip lock and wash them when you wash your diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back