View Poll Results: Do you believe in religion?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 48.53%
  • No

35 51.47%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: religion

Rocket_Man55

Question religion

Simple and easy question. Do you believe in religion? Why? Why not?

Butterfly Mage

I think religion can help structure one's spirituality. But you can believe in deity without necessarily following a particular religion.

I'm a Wiccan, so I tend to incorporate certain structures in the practice of my faith. My ultimate goal, of course, is to commune with deity. A meditation, casting the circle, calling the quarters, performing the magical workings, releasing the quarters, opening the circle are religious structures that help guide the mind and spirit towards communion with deity.

Nope, if there was any prove of a god, I'd be right on board. Proof is not "Look around you, God created all of this!" Nice try.

of course I believ in religion, it's all around us. But i dont think thats what you were asking. I dont follow a religion, but I do follow a personal philosophy in life.

Your existence is proof of some cosmic intelligence. If we were nothing more than evolving chemicals, would we understand and appreciate art, music, and literature. Why would we bother. We would just be organisms going through the basics to maintain simple survival. But we are so much more than that. We feel, we love and care for others, or for people we have never met. There have been those who clinically died, and described things that were going on in another room in the hospital. Life is a mystery. Proof of the spirit is all around us. You have to look for it, and be observant.

Mako

Definitely not. We already have a bunch of religion topics, but sure one more.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Your existence is proof of some cosmic intelligence.
    It is? Mind explaining such a claim?

If we were nothing more than evolving chemicals, would we understand and appreciate art, music, and literature. Why would we bother. We would just be organisms going through the basics to maintain simple survival.
    Says who?

But we are so much more than that. We feel, we love and care for others, or for people we have never met.
    Empathy?

There have been those who clinically died, and described things that were going on in another room in the hospital.
    And there have been those who have clinically died and saw nothing. Of course selectively concentrating on the "miracles" is much more "feel good".

Life is a mystery.
    Which part?

Proof of the spirit is all around us. You have to look for it, and be observant.
    I don't see it, mind sourcing?

I'm not into religion in the level that Pat Robertson and friends are (that would probably be unhealthy?), but can we rationalize everything down to science? I don't think so, and in a way, that would be disappointing.

I just don't get why people (actually, i should say fanatics here) use religion as justification for all sorts of violence, however. "Thou shalt not kill", right?