What is the best (most typical) summer "thing" to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

egor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I was going to post this in the "what have you been eating" in the Foodie Group, but I decided to place this thread here.

So what is that one thing that just says "this is the good life of summer" to you?

For me it was going out just before sun set and picking a bowl full of wild blackberries and strawberries and then coming in and relaxing with a bowl full of one of my favorite ice-creams (Umpqua Maple nut) with fresh berries.

Egor

Fresh peas right from the pod :)
I can eat a bowl of them!!

Strawberries, and pineapple my favorite.

A Mr whippy 99 ice cream (soft serve ice-cream with a Cadburys flake in it )

Happens quite rarely during the summer but sometimes in late summer we have a bit storm late in the day, so what we often do is go down to the lake in our town and just wait and watch the dark clouds come in and feel the cool front coming in with the storm. And then just sit out in the rain (yeah we're kinda crazy sometimes but it can get really hot in summer 106+ degrees farnheight sometimes) :) :) :) Best thing ever!!

parcelboy2 said:
A Mr whippy 99 ice cream (soft serve ice-cream with a Cadburys flake in it )

just the one flake??? (you'll never grow up to be a big girl :smile1:)
we used to get screwballs of the iced-cream man. calm down, it's not what you think (he wasn't a politician :biggrin:):
View attachment 24580
you get a bubbly at the bottom (i said 'calm down'! :rolleyes:), no melted iced-cream running down your forearm, a spoon to eat it with, no iced-cream falling off the cone as you walk/run/skip/jump and you get to stamp on the upturned carton :smile:

more recently, i have what i call 'hedgehogs', which is just an oyster,
View attachment 24581
but with 7 or more flakes.....and loads of raspberry sauce ('blood': cos it was attacked by
The Mods: View attachment 24582 :smile1:)
messy as hell to eat, but that's modkill for you.

but really, rose-tinted spectacled nostalgia aside, and i know it may be hard for some to grasp, but weather-watching/waiting is what typifies summer for me (and probably for most Britons).
everything depends upon the weather and it's the first thing you check in the morning and the last thing at night. last summer was 'great' as we had a long spell of 'summery' weather in which to get jobs done, have fun, etc.
this year, it's mostly been,
View attachment 24583

View attachment 24584

or on the verge of. The Met Office has been calling it changeable, but they really mean unpredictable and this, of course, puts the kybosh on planning work and fun. apparently, they've had nice summer, down south.
and when it does turn proper summery, it'll do it in an instant, jumping ten degrees or more and leaving everybody puffing and panting and seeking shade, amidst the frantic efforts to make hay while the sun shines.

so, yeah, the weather.

Milko said:
Happens quite rarely during the summer but sometimes in late summer we have a bit storm late in the day, so what we often do is go down to the lake in our town and just wait and watch the dark clouds come in and feel the cool front coming in with the storm. And then just sit out in the rain (yeah we're kinda crazy sometimes but it can get really hot in summer 106+ degrees farnheight sometimes) :) :) :) Best thing ever!!

I love doing this, too!!!! I love being outside in the rain x)! Though I'm so crazy I do it even when it's cold, but in proper rain attire of course.

Ohhhh maaannn now I started to think about how cute it would be to own an adult baby rain coat! Or those rain overalls! So cute..!

Going to the lake

Summer means BBQ to me which I've been doing a lot of lately. I smoked some St. Louis ribs for my birthday and have been grilling lots of chicken wings! Also my wife has been making a lot of watermelon jello shots, all of our friends keep requesting her to make a batch for them!

Mowing my lawn (which I love doing) and then cracking open a cold bottle of Guinness. Beer never tastes as good as right after cutting the grass. :smile:

For starters, I've more than one best summer thing: sandy beaches, hot temperatures and watermelon.

A few camping trips and a lot of time on my sail boat.

So many things, driving at night, looking at the stars, and camping it's great at summer time or just going for a walk, so awesome :)

I love to go for a swim in the lake in the afternoon, then sit in the shade for a while well I dry off.

The moment you need iced water just to stay cool. :(

I'm not much of a summer person but I do love sitting out on our deck and listening to my Walkman while I suntan and sip on glass of lemonade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back