Not open for further replies.

Milko

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Carer
Just needing a bit of help choosing a new graphics card for my PC. It's an old Pentium 4 based system I built a few months ago (shut up, a friend gave me the components and case for free :) )

Anyway, the motherboard is from 2002 and has an AGP Pro 8x slot for the graphics. At the moment, the computer is being driven by an nVidia GeForce FX5200 128MB card. It's okay but a little sluggish with higher quality videos and games.

I used to use a GeForce 4 Titanium with my old Power Mac and it was awesome, but I'm not too sure how that card would perform under a newer system. It looks awesome though ^_^

Anyway, what I'm really after is one of the fastest AGP cards ever made, but that I can afford.. :)

OH and it needs to be compatible with windows 2000 :)

As far as I remember, the fastest AGP GeForce was the 7950GT, but compared to that 5200, even a 6800GT should be quite exciting. The ATI counterpart to the 7950 was the X1950. They should both be quite affordable today.

Well, it will be to slow for you, but I would try to get a Voodoo 5 5500 if I had an old AGP machine standing around...:smile1:

Astatine said:
As far as I remember, the fastest AGP GeForce was the 7950GT, but compared to that 5200, even a 6800GT should be quite exciting. The ATI counterpart to the 7950 was the X1950. They should both be quite affordable today.

Well, it will be to slow for you, but I would try to get a Voodoo 5 5500 if I had an old AGP machine standing around...:smile1:

I've just looked on ebay and I can't find an AGP version of the 7950 (I know they exist but I just can't find one), I really want to get one of the highest end cards since I want my old computer to last as long as possible (even though the 3Ghz single core P4 will probably be the most limiting component)..

I remember one of my laptops had a radeon X1600 Pro 512MB and it was great for gaming, but I'm not sure, I've always loved nVidia cards :) . It's also a bit of a mess inside the case and I can't fit anything too big into it..

A 3GHz Pentium 4 is more than capable of running Windows 7 just fine, and 8 or 10 should be no issue. Why are you using Windows 2000?!

I owned a 3GHz P4 system from 2005 till 2010, by the way. Started on XP and upgraded it to 7 before it died (overheated)

Shaunikins321 said:
A 3GHz Pentium 4 is more than capable of running Windows 7 just fine, and 8 or 10 should be no issue. Why are you using Windows 2000?!

I owned a 3GHz P4 system from 2005 till 2010, by the way. Started on XP and upgraded it to 7 before it died (overheated)

I like 2000. I'll upgrade to 7 or 10 once 2000 becomes unuseable. I used 7 on a 3ghz P4 from 2012 to 2014

But no modern web browser supports 2000; what do you use to browse the web? And you can't use iTunes or Spotify or anything like that, plus any games released in the last decade are out of the question. What makes you prefer 2000? Why not just upgrade to 7 and put it in the "Windows Classic" theme which makes it look retro?

Shaunikins321 said:
But no modern web browser supports 2000; what do you use to browse the web? And you can't use iTunes or Spotify or anything like that, plus any games released in the last decade are out of the question. What makes you prefer 2000? Why not just upgrade to 7 and put it in the "Windows Classic" theme which makes it look retro?

I use SeaMonkey 2.9.1. Yeah it's outdated but it still works with modern websites fine today. I don't use itunes or spotify anyway so I don't really care. Windows 2000 can run on a 133Mhz system with 32MB of ram so It's really fast, especially on an old computer. My laptop runs 98SE (it's too slow to run anything newer) and 2000 is similar to it. And it doesn't need as much RAM so I can use my RAM for other stuff.

And I just like it, I don't know why. The interface is much faster on an older graphics card (which I have) even Windows 7 with the classic theme is kind of sluggish on my card.

But you can use itunes and spotify if you want to, you just have to stick to older versions.

You'll have a hard time finding an agp graphics card on a retailer, unless they sell specifically old hardware. craigslist is also a source of potential old hardware.

MickeyM said:
You'll have a hard time finding an agp graphics card on a retailer, unless they sell specifically old hardware. craigslist is also a source of potential old hardware.

Yeah I never really shop retail but I can't find any decent ones on ebay either. Never tried craiglist.

AshleyAshes said:
Staying painfully out of date is expensive.

Yeah, I gathered that when I tried to find an IDE blu ray burner.. :) I think I'll just get an IDE to SATA adaptor. But I don't need a faster computer and I'm happy to use it until I can't anymore.

AshleyAshes said:
Wouldn't it make a LOT more sense to get an external USB BluRay burner?

Yeah maybe but I prefer my drives to be internal. If I get an internal SATA drive then that wouldn't be incredibly expensive. I could replace my DVD burner for it and then put the DVD burner where the CD-RW drive is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back