Public changing table

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordFluffybuttz

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Have you ever wanted to try to use a baby changing table but were too afraid it would break? Have you tried it anyway? How did it go?

I'm pretty sure it would break for me, i'm 6'6" and 260 lbs. I will use it for my diaper bag though if it is available in my stall.

This is one of those fantasies that, while I have it, is something best kept to fantasy unless you can find a private changing table, like one inside the stall. And even then it's one of those things you should probably be careful with.

Yes! Every time I go into a public bathroom, I always look at them with longing. It's a fiddly mess to change cloth standing up while leaning against a wall, and I can't do it on the ground... But I wouldn't ever trust a baby changing table to support adult weight. Even if it was rated to do so. That sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Over in England, there are "Public" Changing Places for the disabled where the facilities have "adult sized changing tables" for totally incontinent handicapped adults can have their diapers changed by their caregivers in "complete privacy".

It is not everywhere yet in England, but the number of these 100% accessible "Public Changing Places" is growing, because of the certified need for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh! Here is the URL link regarding these 100% accessible toileting/diaper changing facilities for the disabled.

http://changing-places.org/

caitianx said:
Over in England, there are "Public" Changing Places for the disabled where the facilities have "adult sized changing tables" for totally incontinent handicapped adults can have their diapers changed by their caregivers in "complete privacy".

It is not everywhere yet in England, but the number of these 100% accessible "Public Changing Places" is growing, because of the certified need for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh! Here is the URL link regarding these 100% accessible toileting/diaper changing facilities for the disabled.

i believe there is a movement to try and get that here in the US too

Ally said:
Yes! Every time I go into a public bathroom, I always look at them with longing. It's a fiddly mess to change cloth standing up while leaning against a wall, and I can't do it on the ground... But I wouldn't ever trust a baby changing table to support adult weight. Even if it was rated to do so. That sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Many public bathrooms are disgusting, to say the least.
The Men's Room off the street-level public food court in the MBTA Transportation Offices Building in Downtown Boston last Thursday when I was there to meet with the Boston Chapter of ADAPT was massively filthy and covered floor to ceiling in the handicapped-designated toilet stall with "very bad words and pictures".
ARGH!!!!!
I simply had to stand in my leg braces, and change myself that way, which is difficult for me, since I have Cerebral Palsy.
:bleh:

caitianx said:
The Men's Room off the street-level public food court in the MBTA Transportation Offices Building in Downtown Boston last Thursday when I was there to meet with the Boston Chapter of ADAPT was massively filthy and covered floor to ceiling in the handicapped-designated toilet stall with "very bad words and pictures".
ARGH!!!!!
I simply had to stand in my leg braces, and change myself that way, which is difficult for me, since I have Cerebral Palsy.

Yes, this! I hate public restrooms so I'm never in them to see or not to see a changing table. That's not a question for me! If I was handicapped, I can't imagine sitting bare assed on a table that others also sat, since I'm sure the table would never get cleaned. I'm happy to do all my changing at home. Even at home, I used bleach cleaning agents to clean our three bathrooms. Take that, germs!!!

dogboy said:
Yes, this! I hate public restrooms so I'm never in them to see or not to see a changing table. That's not a question for me! If I was handicapped, I can't imagine sitting bare assed on a table that others also sat, since I'm sure the table would never get cleaned. I'm happy to do all my changing at home. Even at home, I used bleach cleaning agents to clean our three bathrooms. Take that, germs!!!

Yes I agree with you I hated every time I go in one I end up cleaning the toilet with the antibacterial soap before I can use it .
All the P all over the seat and make a mess like they do they need to be in diapers
They can't seem use the bathroom right.
Feel sorry for those that are handycapped and have no choice but to try to take care of them selves in the filthy
Restrooms.

caitianx said:

- - - Updated - - -

SilentlySpeaking said:

I sure hope those come out in the U.S soon. I can really use that actually. I'm 6'6" and weight 250 pounds and if I was to ever injure my knee again there's no way in hell I will even be able to change in even a handicap stall unless it had a table or was a ADA bathroom that may not even be there. I'm so huge that I can't even use the regular bathroom stalls standing up as it is simply due to a lack of room. I do use the table in a stall (if available) to put my backpack on and to keep it off the floor.

Flutters said:
Have you ever wanted to try to use a baby changing table but were too afraid it would break? Have you tried it anyway? How did it go?

No I haven't, but admittedly I kinda always wanted too, and to be honest, I kinda thought they would break if I use one, because even though I'm skinny I'm afraid I'll break it, due to my weight.

- - - Updated - - -

caitianx said:

- - - Updated - - -

SilentlySpeaking said:

caitianx said:
ARGH!!!!!
That is so true, and I hope they do come to America, and I aggree massively, Plubic Restrooms can be disgusting sometimes.

- - - Updated - - -

Ally said:
Me too.

If there's one in the handicapped stall, I use it to put my bag on but that's it.

I was just staring at the one in the bathroom at the place where I work the other day and wondering if any AB or DL had ever used one, lol.

The only time I have had access to an adult size one is at the pool, I change in the room and the table gets wiped off before it sees my backside. The ones for babies are cool though, never hold a full size adult without tearing it off the wall. That would be a sight!

- - - Updated - - -

AddyShadows said:
This is one of those fantasies that, while I have it, is something best kept to fantasy unless you can find a private changing table, like one inside the stall. And even then it's one of those things you should probably be careful with.

I've always thought the same thing. It seems fun as an idea, but realistically, it probably wouldn't end well.

I'd probably be able to put up one that could support my weight for my size! Or even make a foldaway support that could hook up to a public one! But I think a mat for adult ones could work.

Didn't older stores like the old Tescos had a wood table you used?

adult changing tables for entertainment places that hold 1,000 or more guests at a time might become law in California.

Next event for the bill is on august 17th or 18th. so far it's been passing whatever it needs to go trough without much if any complaint. It's also going to be added into (amended) into existing law concerning the disabled from what I can tell. Places will only need 1 of them, but will need to keep signage posted and maintain it as well.

I clearly support the bill mostly for the wrong reason. but I've known at least 1 person who can benefit from this law.

I have used some of the kids changing tables.
The best ones were at a Walmart in the family restroom.

It was a solid fixed mount table that was on the wall and I have also used the rubbermaid sturdy station 2 ones. They were pretty solid as well.
The Denver airport has one in the family restroom that is big enough to support an adult, kind of a pain to use because it is basically a table built-in the wall . That was the closest thing to an adult changing table I've used. Better than using the floor though.

I can also attest that many highway rest stop bathrooms are pretty filthy and disgusting too. The last time I attended AUTREAT out in Western Pennsylvania back in 2013, I Autism & Cerebral Palsy guy, and my Autistic passenger friend with her Autism Service Dog while travelling to/from AUTREAT 2013 ended up having to use mega filthy handicapped toilet stalls where the toilets were stuffed, plugged-up and overflowing with toilet paper and pee and poop.
:wallbash:
It seems like many non-disabled people's toilet training cleanliness sucks.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back