Windows 10 May Share Your Wi-Fi Password with Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note said:
Free or not (well not really free, they data mine you and sell that information),
If they do, they're in violation of their own EULA, TOU, and Privacy Policy

The default settings in Windows 10 mean that Microsoft own your PC and can monitor much of what you do on it.

A 45-page long privacy policy of vagueness just shows how little Microsoft care about our privacy.
http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...faces-criticism-over-privacy-default-settings

They're saving a ton of money by giving out free upgrades. Getting everyone on a single platform (including tablet/mobile users)

The penny-pinching doesn't stop there. Microsoft connect you to a P2P network so your updates can be shared with others. Beware surprise bills if you're on a metered connection!
By default, Microsoft turns your computer into a peer-to-peer node to help it distribute Windows 10 updates, in order to save Microsoft server bandwidth costs. “Microsoft calls it Windows Update Delivery Optimization,” or WUDO. WUDO really should have been turned off by default, because it may slow you down and may even cost you additional money if you have a metered connection. Instead, it is also one of the hardest settings to turn off, requiring clicking through four obscure screens.
http://www.slate.com/articles/techn..._how_bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.2.html

(And FFS, Microsoft! WHERE is the start menu you promised?! Please don't tell me you call that... thing... a start menu! It's useless! We demand a proper menu... like in Windows XP or [Linux desktop manager] XFCE!)
:cursing: (And yeah, I know about the third-party program "Classic Shell", but you really shouldn't need a program to provide basic GUI functions.)

Phew! Thanks for listening! It felt good to vent my frustrations! :biggrin: I'd been quite looking forward to WIndows 10... I'd probably give it a go, but an upgrade would mean my Windows 7 licence would self-destruct

Tiny, I like that all your "proof" consists of short, vague articles with references to random additional 3rd parties. If all this invasion is actually in MS Policies, why not link THERE and show it in black and white from the horse's mouth?

I sell computers for a living so when I got the previews I was not impressed. The menu is nothing like my customers want. I am still holding off on the upgrade hopefully. I was installing a printer the night of 28th and it said to restart to take effect. I suppose it was after midnight and it literally took 24+ hours for the thing to restart. It was saying "Do not turn off your computer the whole next day. I was thinking they must have tried to sneak Windows 10 in on me but everything looks the same. I guess I'll never know what it was really doing for so many hours.

tiny said:
The default settings in Windows 10 mean that Microsoft own your PC and can monitor much of what you do on it.

A 45-page long privacy policy of vagueness just shows how little Microsoft care about our privacy.
http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...faces-criticism-over-privacy-default-settings

They're saving a ton of money by giving out free upgrades. Getting everyone on a single platform (including tablet/mobile users)

The penny-pinching doesn't stop there. Microsoft connect you to a P2P network so your updates can be shared with others. Beware surprise bills if you're on a metered connection!

http://www.slate.com/articles/techn..._how_bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.2.html

(And FFS, Microsoft! WHERE is the start menu you promised?! Please don't tell me you call that... thing... a start menu! It's useless! We demand a proper menu... like in Windows XP or [Linux desktop manager] XFCE!)
:cursing: (And yeah, I know about the third-party program "Classic Shell", but you really shouldn't need a program to provide basic GUI functions.)

Phew! Thanks for listening! It felt good to vent my frustrations! :biggrin: I'd been quite looking forward to WIndows 10... I'd probably give it a go, but an upgrade would mean my Windows 7 licence would self-destruct

Thanks! for the information.

I think I'll stick windows 2000 for the time being, then maybe I'll upgrade to 7 again and if windows 10 is decent then I'll maybe get it next year depending on how support for 2000 pro goes.

To be honest I really don't care what win10 shares.
Hell I don't even have a FB account xD
The only reason I have it is for the Nvidia drivers on my gaming PC.
My workstation always has and always will run Linux, as well as my laptop at my dorm.

See thats where I have issues, people nowadays dont 'care' about their privacy being blatantly and in some cases illegally violated all because some os is 'free' 5-10 yrs ago M$ would prolly face a flurry of lawsuits on crap like this. I dont have a FB account either but I refuse to install win10, despite being a gamer and being a pc tech. I'll stick with 7 till the spyware/datamining is gone and theres better driver compatibility, I've heard horror stories of people upgrading only to downgrade back to 7 due to driver issues and such. You'd think with it in open public beta for so long they'd have better driver support but guess they were too busy honing their spyware... good ol MS, even when its free theres still a high price to pay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back