Thread: Legitimately scared of the future

Default Legitimately scared of the future

Hey guys,
    So, I've mentioned before that I'm legally blind and suffer from BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) and also that I'm a professional musician for a living. Anyway here's the problems I've been having lately:
    I don't make much money to begin with: $100-$400 week ($200 on average) and my disability money is only a very small amount. The problem is: I work 6 days a week (seven this past week) but I don't get paid but every 2-3 weeks and thats only after I ask multiple times for it.

I do still live with my parents but I pay my own way (my pride won't let me do otherwise and my parents aren't that financially well off either.) Thing is, its very hard to make $200-300 last me 2-3 weeks. Food, drinks, bills, medications, guitar strings, rides to and from work ect ALL COST MONEY! I don't what to do.

My boss is a real good guy but he never has my money! I don't wan to sound greedy but I guy's gotta live. I mean if something happens to a piece of equipment I need for work, I'm screwed. Last week, a drunk guy stepped on and broke my main instrument cable. I've been borrowing a cheap and noisy one from a buddy because I don't have the $40 to replace mine with.

I have no trade besides music and while I'm very busy, I feel like I'm not being treated fairly. I like to think they respect me for my talent but I often wonder why I'm always the last one to get paid. Everyone else is a bit older and lives on their own and probably think I have it easy because I still live at home but I still have bills to pay and things to buy! Its quite depressing.

Why am I afraid of the future you may ask? Because, after my sister finishes college, she's moving out of state. My mother is having a harder time getting around due to her hips and legs and my dad has hep C and cirrhosis. Once they're gone, what happens to me? I keep having nightmares of being in assisted living somewhere and not being able to live me life.

Sorry to ramble, but you guys are the only people I can talk to. I have no real friends or family to talk to and I just feel like crying.

Hi, have you spoken to your parents about your fears, I know it's abit freaky but at least they can help you work through these issues. I really do feel for your situation. You have a difficult road ahead. Do you hope to have a relationship with someone? I know that many people with disabilities find successful long term relationships. This could be the future for you. Otherwise you might find a suitable shared living arrangement with someone...it might be the odd couple but hey if it works. Dunno, I'm sure there'll be some better advice.

Quote Originally Posted by gnd567 View Post
    My boss is a real good guy but he never has my money! I don't wan to sound greedy but I guy's gotta live. I mean if something happens to a piece of equipment I need for work, I'm screwed. Last week, a drunk guy stepped on and broke my main instrument cable. I've been borrowing a cheap and noisy one from a buddy because I don't have the $40 to replace mine with.
    Do you have your compensation written in a contract somewhere? If so I would suggest gently reminding your boss that he is legally obligated to pay you at the times designated by the contract. If need be you can take him to court and you'd have a solid case, but that should probably be a last resort. If you don't have a contract I would suggest getting one written up so that you have some measure of security in your job. It's not greedy to request the money that you have worked for. You worked for it, you played for it and it is rightfully yours, that's not being greedy by a long shot.

Have you looked for other places that would want you 5o play? If you are able to get a gig somewhere else, then your current boss might treat you better to keep you there.

I had the same problem with the band that I played with. Our fearless leader was into coke, and because of that, we often got paid late. Eventually he got his act together and the money was paid on time. I think you need to have a serious talk with him and explain that you can't afford to not have him pay you on time. At the same time, I would be looking for a better gig.

As for living on your own, there may be public services that can give you advise. This is too big a problem for you to have to face on your own. Some sort of social services should be able to help you. Now is the time for making a life plan so that you can be independent. There must be others in your situation.

Thanks guys. I called him and he came by and paid me which was good because I actually only had $11.89 to my name! I can breathe a little now. I told him that I REALLY need the money on time and he said he knew and he would really try to do better in the future. I hope so.
    I took the job because I need the work and its pretty steady work and he's a friend of mine. He even picks me up and takes me home when my mother or father can't. So I try not to be grateful.

As far as making a life plan, I'm trying.

I really desire a female companion that is not only gf but also would let me indulge in my little side

Maybe you should search for some programs that can help you get on your feet. I'm sure there's avenues around.

Something you might be interested in would be Mechanical Turk. It's a program ran by Amazon where you can earn money be doing some tasks, like, transcribing audio clips into text. You can make as much as you want, if you have the extra time for it, you should check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post
    Maybe you should search for some programs that can help you get on your feet. I'm sure there's avenues around.

Something you might be interested in would be Mechanical Turk. It's a program ran by Amazon where you can earn money be doing some tasks, like, transcribing audio clips into text. You can make as much as you want, if you have the extra time for it, you should check it out.
    Thanks. I'll look into it!