Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Grand Unifying Sleep Issues Thread

Default The Grand Unifying Sleep Issues Thread

As I post after 1am local time, I have to wonder: Are we, as *B/DLs, more prone to sleep disorders/issues than the general population? This thread was inspired by DLGrif's post about delayed sleep, and recent posts surrounding nutrition and depression.

I'll kick us off.

I have a sleep schedule that is now totally backwards and upside-down. Since I've been able to reasonably choose when to go to bed, I've tended to sleep at 2-3am and wake up at 9am when left to my own devices. When I have a schedule to keep, I tend to sleep at 2-3am and wake at 6-7am. I am attempting to resolve this using light therapy, but the lightbox shipped utterly destroyed (fun).

Over the past 9 years, I have also been prone to something that is called (seriously) "Exploding Head Syndrome." I've not been officially "diagnosed" with it, but about 6 months ago got fed up of wondering if I was the only person in the world to whom this happened, so I went and looked the symptoms up.

It's sort of interesting, so let me tell you how it pans out for me:

I'll be in bed, asleep or awake, and I'll suddenly hear a BANG! It sounds like anything from a car backfire/gunshot to someone in the house who has just run into something heavy. I'll then be absolutely unable to sleep until I have patrolled the entire house. This hyper-vigilance lasts about an hour; instead of sleeping during this time, I am instead planning my heroic leap out of bed and tackling of the burglar.

So. Does anyone else have any sleep issues?

The only sleep issue I have is that my natural tendancy is to be nocturnal.
    This is not a big problem compared to hearing loud noises out of the blue. I understand that sometimes there is also anxiety, increased heart rate and a sense of fear. May I ask how long this has been going on?

Quote Originally Posted by cation View Post
    The only sleep issue I have is that my natural tendancy is to be nocturnal.
    This is not a big problem compared to hearing loud noises out of the blue. I understand that sometimes there is also anxiety, increased heart rate and a sense of fear. May I ask how long this has been going on?
    About 9 years or so. For me, it's not so much a sense of fear per se as a sense of urgency and hyper-vigilance. I go "on patrol" through the house and check (and re-check) everything.

The odd thing is that it is inconsistent; I can't tie it to mood, other sleep patterns, diet, exercise, stress, etc.

Even when I don't get up to check everything out, I'll still be vigilant in bed, listening for the burglar that I know isn't there!

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    About 9 years or so. For me, it's not so much a sense of fear per se as a sense of urgency and hyper-vigilance. I go "on patrol" through the house and check (and re-check) everything.

The odd thing is that it is inconsistent; I can't tie it to mood, other sleep patterns, diet, exercise, stress, etc.

Even when I don't get up to check everything out, I'll still be vigilant in bed, listening for the burglar that I know isn't there!
    Actually, want to know something funny? This happens to me too. I think it may be tied to my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but I'm not positive.

EmeraldsAndLime

I have some trouble sleeping, but mostly because I do the late shift at work, midnight-5am... or I used to anyway. That was absolutely horrid for me since my room is a converted sun-room. I was getting to bed right when the sun was coming up, and I suffered the full morning brightness/intensity of it since my only window directly faces east. The only redeeming feature about it is that it's the only room in the house with air-con. Thankfully though, I'm getting my hours knocked back a bit (by request, mind you) because of university, so I'll be finishing at midnight.

As for sleep itself, I have trouble with it if I don't mentally exhaust myself throughout the day. For the past year I had deferred my university course, meaning my free-time was at a maximum. Not being completely social meant I spent a lot of my time hanging about doing nothing. I found the only way I could sleep was if I stayed up long enough so that I was physically tired, which was a consistent 18+ hours a day. Then when I went to sleep I'd sleep for well over 12 hours, making me over-tired and messing up my body clock. Lethargy set in, I was always too tired to do anything, including meeting daily nutritional requirements and I just felt a constant haze in a my head.

Now, my hearing is shot a little bit and I don't hear as well as someone my age should, but when everything is dead silent during the night all the sounds I hear are pinpointed and I focus on them too much. Creaky floorboards, my air-con running, clock ticking, etc... If I just hopped into bed, I get that hyper-vigilance that the OP mentioned, although I don't go searching the house. I tend to turn over and look around my room fully alert and it keeps me awake for a few more minutes. I even do this when I'm half-asleep. Also, being a light sleeper, certain things wake me up easily, like people coming into my room.

Funny thing is though, my house is situated on (well, what I like to call) a main road. It's only two lanes, but it's a popular thoroughfare for residents between the suburbs and the city. This means cars drive past at all hours of the night, emergency vehicles speed past with sirens blaring, or kids with their subwoofers pumping... Yet, despite all that, those things don't wake me! I've lived here all my life, so I guess I'm used to it.

I highly doubt as *B's/DL's we get more sleep issues. Main reasoning, nothing we do with diapers or anything else can affect our sleeping patterns unless maybe you fall asleep while snuggling a plushie but you were most likely tired to being with.

I have had sleep issues before but none of them caused by being *B. Though one time right before I told my dad I was have night mares about 5 times a week and waking up 3 times a night, after I finally got to wear diapers to bed and sleep with a plushie again all of that stopped and I was sleeping well again.

hmm....idk. Personally, i sleep like a baby every night. I'm usually asleep within 10 minutes of lying down every night. I usually lie down around 11:30-12:00, and get up around 6:30

i have this thing where i cant get to bed but once i do i sleep a long time. for so my bed time / wake time will slowly shift later and later until i'm going to bed around 10 am and waking up at 6pm. then i will stay up all day or something and get turned around.

i too have experienced that loud bang in the night usually it is when I'm just about to fall asleep then BANG it is so loud it hurts. i will looking around when i realize it was nothing i can go back to sleeping. i heard my mom talking about that once she said something about the bang has to do with your brain going into its own sleep mode and if it does this before you are asleep then you hear it.

Butterfly Mage

I wouldn't say that I have a sleep disorder, per se. Since I'm an abuse survivor, I still frequently have nightmares about my dad -- and I probably always will. But it could be worse. At least that jackass lives over a thousand miles away now.

I can get to sleep fairly well but its the quit noises that wake me up not the load ones.