Thread: Ignorance Personified

Default Ignorance Personified

I couldn't sleep, so I thought I'd share an incident that happened to me yesterday. I went to get a haricut at this barber shop I'd never been in. It was an old fashioned kinda shop where everybody was a regular, and this middle-aged guy in the chair next to me is talking to the woman cutting his hair and ranting about everything that is wrong with the town and the world. I don't know much about the town because I'm just here for grad school, so I didn't care. And then out of no where this guy says that Obama is going to "let in all the queers. And I don't mean 'funny, haha' if you know what I mean." Yeah, because the double entendre was impenetrable. He was referring to the military, and went on to say "if I was in the army, I'd resign, not because I don't like queers, even though I don't, but because those people are a public health problem." He was saying that homosexuals spread disease! And then he had the gall to say to another customer, on an unrelated topic, to trust in Jesus. F*cking hypocrite!

I was reminded of a Ray Bradybury quote: "If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you, and you'll never learn." Well, this asshole sure as hell isn't hiding his ignorance, so now we'll have to wait for someone to hit him. I'm not easily driven to anger, but it took him about fifteen seconds to get me there. Really wanted to sock him one.

Grad school in a new city... For me, it's been a formative experience, whether I like it or not. I grew up in the sticks, and am not sure where I truly fit...

Trying to find a good barber is tough. In my new city, I've had a couple. I've settled on one that's pretty good. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm one of his few loyal customers.

I hear stuff along the lines of that which you reported on the bus mostly. It feels offensive, but I try to withhold my judgment insofar as I can. I'm no more capable of choosing my own desires or perspective on life than anyone else is.

I like your Bradbury quote. There seems to be a certain humility which precedes true learning, or at least facilitates the process.

Butterfly Mage

I have a really old school barber who still cuts hair with a straight razor. But he has no problem with gays and witches. After all, our money spends the same!

Quote Originally Posted by harris View Post
    "if I was in the army, I'd resign, not because I don't like queers, even though I don't, but because those people are a public health problem."

I was reminded of a Ray Bradybury quote: "If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you, and you'll never learn." Well, this asshole sure as hell isn't hiding his ignorance, so now we'll have to wait for someone to hit him. I'm not easily driven to anger, but it took him about fifteen seconds to get me there. Really wanted to sock him one.
    First of all its impossible to resign from the army unless you want a disonherable discharge and most likely get thrown into a federal prison for a few years or you go to Canada and pretty much never come back since your a criminal.

As for the quote that's all rather hypocritical in itself as well. Saying that its fine to beat someone if they are ignorant? I doubt Ray Bradybury meant it to that extent but it sure seams like you took it to that extent. I highly doubt a good author like him would need to resort to violence.

Anyways you could of talked to the guy about it if you felt so strongly about it rather then wait for somebody else to do so.

The guy was just an old fool, set in his own ways. Just ignore people like that, its not worth trying to educate them. And violence will only make things worse in that type of situation.

dprdinky

You wonder why people like that get into such conversations unless they are attempting to get people to buy into their conversation. What if everyone around him ignored everything he was saying? Would he give up and quit bringing up the subject, or find other ways to "hook" people into talking with him?

All topics that incorporate zealous American christians sound so invented to me, not because there all fictitious, they're so rare around these parts. It sounds so exaggerated and farfetched.

He was saying that homosexuals spread disease!
    A part of homosexuals do, AIDS/HIV?

Some people legitimately do not like homosexuality, and have a right not to. I hope you don't consider everyone who doesn't ignorant because that is far from the case.