Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mental health issues of AB/DLs, and particularly Adisc members.

Default Mental health issues of AB/DLs, and particularly Adisc members.

This is a thorny one. I know what I want to say, but don't wish to offend anyone, and this is just my observation.

First off, I have suffered from depression for years, it comes and goes, and currently it's gone. I have the occasional bad day or days, but as I get older, it certainly gets a lot better. I haven't needed any medication for three years now, but admittedly I do drink a lot. I only mention this as proof of experience that I do understand the issues some people face.

I'm a member on a few different sites relating to our scene. I like diapers, age play, and also get a certain sexual thrill from wetting. Now I do understand that ADISC is a support site, is not a primarily sexual based site, and is PG13, so I guess that in itself is part of the answer to the question I want to ask.

That question is: Does anybody else notice the high amount or percentage of people on here that always post about their mental health issues?

It seems like any forum, any topic, any thread with more than a couple of replies, with the obvious exception of favourite paci/diaper type, will contain the terms depression, ADD, Aspergers, paranoia, breakdown or similar?

Please don't hate on me for asking, as I said, I understand we are a support site, but doesn't anybody just enjoy what we do for fun, just because they like it, and don't find it necessary to find a reason or excuse for it?

I understand the struggle of dealing with issues, but I don't need to lean on those issues to justify my desires or likes, nor to explain them to others.

It just seems at times that ADISC members are a lot more prone to talking about their issues at the drop of a hat. It's one thing to say "I need help with this as I struggle with ......" Or "As a result of stress I like to wear a diaper and suck a paci" but some seem to use their issues as maybe a self justification for everything they do that's related to our particular kink.

What I'm trying to say is meant to be taken as a positive. I'm trying (badly I feel) to say maybe instead of looking for a reason or an excuse for what you like, just embrace it instead! Don't feel guilty! Don't explain or excuse it! If you like your nappy, your bottle or paci, and your plushy, or your fur suit, or your opposite gender dressing, or wetting your pants, and your not hurting anybody else while doing it, then try embracing it rather than justifying it!

I feel so sorry for people that are suffering from mental health problems, but if being a baby for a while makes you feel better for a while, don't guilt out over it.

On other sites I'm a member on, which are more sexually based and less about support, the members seem happier. They do what they do because they enjoy it and like talking about it. They don't need to explain in every post or comment about how they're suffering from (...) and as a result it makes them like this. They just enjoy what they do with an open mind.

Let the flaming begin....

I don't think any flaming is coming. I do think you've confused two different things, though, and I hope I can assist with pulling them apart.

The first is the question of ABDLs suffering from mental health issues. The second is whether people can enjoy ABDL without guilt or a need to justify it.

First, many members of ADISC do suffer mental health issues. And this is a holistic support site. It's not just support for diaper wearing, but for the people who find it and need help of any kind. I think it's a wonderful thing that so many people feel safe enough here to share their most personal problems and I've seen some of the members here provide a source of hope, reassurance and empathy that has honestly been really moving.

Separately, you ask whether there is a need to justify wearing diapers etc. and the answer is no. You can do it because you love it and for no other reason. It's why I wear diapers. I think that diaper wearing and the associated mannerisms of ABDLs are seen by many as violating societal taboos, so it's common for people to feel guilt. Especially when young, it's easy for a person to think something is wrong with them because of ABDL desires and to look for excuses or reasons for those desires. Everything I have seen on the site, however, has been to encourage people to accept themselves, let go of their guilt, and learn to strike a healthy balance between their responsibilities and their pleasures.

There is a serious cultural stigma to admitting to having psychological difficulties. Meanwhile, on a forum where people by default admit to liking diapers, admitting that you struggle with depression or anything else is kinda a cake walk in comparison. So drawing conclusions simply from admissions isn't reliable.

I believe the answer to your question is a matter of focus and demographics. ADISC is focused more on support and less on sex. A noticeable portion of members here see this as comfort; some of those are conflicted about this being a healthy source of comfort. This fact by itself lends itself to more questioning threads.

ArchieRonie answered two of your questions really well. The other question, why we see these topics mentioned so much on ADISC so much still requires some explanation. The first reason is that every time we have a new member join, they are likely to start a new thread specific to them. They will also mention their feelings in other threads. As they have questions, they start new threads, not considering how many threads have had that topic already. ADISC automatically locks threads older than a month to allow this and to prevent dead topics from being revived. We keep the old so they can see what others have asked.

The second reason we see so many mentions of mental health issues, disabilities, and guilt is a few people mention it in nearly every post of theirs. Take a look at the users who mention these things. Only a handful of users at any one time think it necessary to post it everywhere. In times past, members told one user that they were tired of seeing his posts and threads. This can be part of mental illness, only focussing on their problem. On this forum, one or two users can make these topics appear everywhere. It can be anoying.

ADISC is open and willing to discuss their issues at the drop of a hat both to ask for support and to show support. Saying "Your fine" is only half support. Sharing experience and understanding with the topic and then saying "Your fine" is full support. You yourself shared that you have experience with depression as part of introducing this topic. There is a time and place on ADISC to discuss issues. Some find it better than others.

Welcome to ADISC. Hope you enjoy the forum. It may run different, but I feel it runs fairly well.

It is hard to follow ArchieRoni and Jeremiah. I think they both answered the questions completely.

I have not been on the other sites except when referenced in some google searches that I have done. The impressions I got with those brief encounters of the other sites is that they are more based on "braging"/exhibitionism type activities. While ADISC is a "support" group. Therefore, the forum here is to gain understanding about Paraphilia Infantilism, and all of the aspects of the situation. So having a reason or cause is as important as the participation in the diaper usage.

Egor

I think all three responders have answered well. I can only say that I have wondered the same thing. I have also wondered if other sites have a number of people who discuss their problems with depression and other mental issues because it's easier to do anonymously and on computer in the safety of one's own home. I suspect that sites such as these coupled with the quiet of one's thoughts can make each one of us more introspective, and that often opens a floodgate to past memories and feelings. Sometimes the pains we've suffered in our pasts need to find some venue, some way to come out and be addressed. Sites like this facilitate a certain pseudo group therapy session.

To answer your questions more directly, there may be a correlation between having above average intelligence, and the confusion created at a much younger age when one discovers their attraction to something that would be generally not accepted by the whole of society. This alone can cause depression in a younger person. I honestly thought I was insane when I was in high school and college, both because I got off on diapers and wetting them, and because I was sexually attracted to other males. It was a double whammy.

But the greater question is, are those who have fetishes also burdened with either related or other forms of mental conditions that are not considered normal? For me, while in high school and college, I was somewhat Borderline Personality disorder, had tried to commit suicide, self harmed in numerous ways including setting myself on fire and suffered from two psychotic breaks, one when I was 12 years old, and the other at age 22. I think the question is a valid one to ask, but I don't think it can be answered.

It's possible that with one problem comes many others because the mind is complex. When we are under stress, demands from others, sometimes succeed but sometimes fail; when you put the mix of all the things which hit us as we're maturing, it's not surprising that the brain, conscious and subconscious finds ways for some sort of self preservation. Sometimes it can't cope and the many cracks in our psychic begin to appear. I suspect it's always been like this because the world is an unkind place. In that regard, wearing diapers becomes one of the very small problems that we have to deal with. If it gets you through the day, why not.

Some have no one to tell what is going on with them.
    So this site is safe place to let out there feeling and get a little caring group of persons that have been there so to speak.
    There are a lot that have not had it so good in the past .
    So many of us are sentive persons in side the funny thing is if it happend to you then it's happend to some one else here too.
    The best thing is when you tell someone your story too there is hope he going through what I'm going through.
    It's helps he understanding how I feel .
    Work wounders

This is something I've been thinking about on and off for a while. When we forcibly removed the teens, that changed our mission a bit. As a support site, we appeal to a certain demographic: often those adults who are having problems with their ABDL desires. To a lesser extent we attract happy ABDLs who are public minded or those who have SOs and need help. With this in mind, I'm not surprised to see a lot of posts from people who can't reconcile this happily.

It's something that I wrestle with here these days, since I am ABDL positive. It's not a source of pain for me and I don't anguish over how it fits into my life. I try to impart that possible joy to others but it doesn't always get accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    This is something I've been thinking about on and off for a while. When we forcibly removed the teens, that changed our mission a bit. As a support site, we appeal to a certain demographic: often those adults who are having problems with their ABDL desires. To a lesser extent we attract happy ABDLs who are public minded or those who have SOs and need help. With this in mind, I'm not surprised to see a lot of posts from people who can't reconcile this happily.

It's something that I wrestle with here these days, since I am ABDL positive. It's not a source of pain for me and I don't anguish over how it fits into my life. I try to impart that possible joy to others but it doesn't always get accepted.
    why were the teens removed anyway? seems kind of stupid to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Milko View Post
    why were the teens removed anyway? seems kind of stupid to me.
    Legal issues. Since ABDL is mostly recognized as a fetish, it falls under the R-rated category. To my understanding Moo made the switch to reduce any accountability for minors using his site, makes sense...