Are cheaper diapers better than the expensive ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddylee

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
If some one has to or wants to wear diapers 24/7 do you think it's better to wear an expensive diaper like the wellness that only needs to be changed every 8 hours or a cheaper diaper like the secure plus that needs to be changed after the first or second wetting. Which do you think Is the better option and why.

premium diapers work far better for me since

1. it's about comfort first. I can't see anyon eone AB/DL or people who need protection to want something that will fail after 1 wetting and is too thin and uncomfortable even before using it.

2. cost is secondary. However premium diapers won't cost much more then cheaper diapers if bought in bulk and from a reasonable website/store.

currently depends 3 tabbed diapers at walgreens website is 0.94 per diaper, a dry 24/7 is about 1.60. A dry 24/7 easy will compare if not out right beat the capacity of 3 depends with tabs meanwhile being more comfortable since depend's use more pulp then SAP.

XP Medical has a chart displaying diapers they sell. It also displays the cost per ounce. I have done my own experiment in the past.

I concluded that it was cheaper to wear even though the cost per piece is higher, you're using less per day.

Just do some basic math and you'll find out.

I've worn cheaper diapers before and it's not a good experience. Imagine having that spongy type of padding that allows anything to be squeezed out.

While I will say it's fun and interesting to wear different diapers, spending on a case would be a disappointment if you didn't like them.

The general rule is; The more expensive- the better the quality, as are most things in life.

Leaks, smells, rashes, and the inconvenience of having to change more often- not a problem with quality nappies/diapers.

As said you get what you pay for.

Cheaper ones are made for minor wetting, and not full on bladder emptying.
They can leak very easy, from flooding, or not changing them soon.

I love the more premium kind myself.
To me they are way more comfortable, and have a better fit.

Find a diaper that works best for you then shop for price.

Go with proper fitting premium diapers, you are likely to have a leek with premium absorbant diapers like Dry 24/7 or Abena premium level 4.

I use Ducktape to help re enforce the tapes, also,you feel dryer longer with a better diaper and the trust level goes up whe you have a good diaper.

When wettings happen the last thing you want to worry about is wondering if you are leaking it will show on your face.

Get premium diapers (yes you will pay more per diaper) but over all it will work,out with less changes per day and being able to fully trust your diaper is worth the extra cost.

Be for warned diapers are expensive and you could easily spend $2400 + per year and the more you wear and use the more dependant you will become on them.

There are a lot to pick from out there the best thing to do is get sample packs.
What works for some doesn't work for others size fit how they feel wearing over long periods.
Then once you have found what you like then look at price shopping supplyers.
I my self why wear a wet diaper any longer then you have to.
To cut down on skin rashes not being in wet diaper for long periods is best.
You can use creams and such but that add's to cost too.
Skin heath is important.

You need something that protect's you if your work delay's a change brake.
We are so deferent in likes and dislikes feel of protection.
So samples give you a chance to see what's best for you before you lay a bunch of cash down on something you cannot wear or leakes badly.
I would test at home before having one fail at work .

One way for cost is have a mix cloth at home disposable when out.
The cost for cloth diaper and a cover is up front but save more over time.
Cloth is more bulk ie but does well for nite time leaks if side sleeper.
All the best to you

It's variable. For myself, my bladder and it's absorbency needs (N) is a function of: N=(A+P)/B Where A=Activity level on a scale of 1-5 with 1 being the lowest. P=time spent in Public expressed as whole numbers of hours. And B=Bathroom availability which I usually determine as a whole number of one trip per hour. This usually will help me determine the type of protection, level of protection, and layers of protection that I will likely need.

Given a low N, a high P, and a middle to high A I will usually wear two or three high quality pull-ups such as Tranquility Overnight or North Shore at the same time. These afford a very decent level of protection while remaining slim flexible and discreet. These will also allow quick easy changes as I am already wearing all of them. I usually put a little bit of powder on each one as well, and I also find that adult pull-ups tend to work better for me when worn in this fashion as they just fit me much better.

If I have a middle to higher N, high P, and low A I will opt for a premium diaper. I have found North Shore Supreme to be excellent in absorption rate, capacity, and locking. They also are the absolute best when it comes to even wicking in a sitting position and no press out.

If I am looking at middle of the road scores, or regardless of a high N if I have a High A I will probably be wearing a good quality medium capacity diaper and maybe even one or two pull-ups over that. I have found the Tranquility Slimline Breathable to be exceptional in comfort, wicking, no press-out, and flexible for activity. They hold a decent amount very securely without being huge, bulky, or noticeable in any fashion. Whereas I have found premium diapers do not hold up well structurally at midrange or higher A levels.

Given that I spend my entire day on campus it is fairly easy for me to determine my levels of need, but they change with each new term. If it is a day with only one or two very long classes with few breaks, I am going to be in a premium diaper. If I have two or three short classes and am walking all over campus, I will be wearing multiple pull-ups or a good quality medium. I have had no issues, but I am also prepared with emergency changes and spare clothes in the car.

The key is to understand your body and its needs in conjunction with your environment. For myself, If I am staying hydrated and am sipping on high caffeine drinks I know that I could not last an hour without dribbling a few times. And with that combination of liquid intake, it will be fairly frequent (in small amounts) across a given hour. A three hour class with one very short break usually means I've used a premium to about half its sitting capacity. Regardless of my intake, if I am home I am wearing a premium unless I know that I might be leaving soon or depending on plans for the day.

I guess everyone, their level of need, and their place in life is quite different. If I were at home all the time or sat a desk for eight hours a day, I might find premium diapers are the way to go period. I just find that I have to be much more flexible in my padding selection to better fit the situations. Nothing (other than catastrophic leaks in public) is more infuriating and disappointing than a premium diaper that is not used to or near it's capacity for retention or time. If you cannot take advantage of a premiums absorbency or ability to last so long you are throwing away money in large amounts and it is exceptionally inefficient.

So, to answer your question in a very long rambling round-about way, there is no definite answer. The biggest question to ask yourself when determining between the two choices of High capacity/high time premium vs. lower capacity/lower time "cheapies" is can YOU even wear a premium for that length of time/urine capacity in your environment/lifestyle? If the answer falls short of a resounding yes, you're better served looking for a product that meets your level of need/ability to wear.

Well there's technically one variable here that most people are not considering when it comes to cheaper diapers. You see if you are just wearing diapers for recreational use then cheaper could be worth it since you would not necessarily use it for it's intended purpose hypothetically(this is rare even then but it does happen). So if you could find a cheap diaper that's just comfortable(hard to find but not impossible to do) to wear without ever wetting it then it might be worth it under those circumstances because it would save money. But this is just hypothetically speaking anyways concerning a very specific and rare situation that does occur with some people here. I would not recommend that anyone who is IC to do this though unless they are unable to move and require a caretaker to help them with everything resulting in more frequent changes anyways.

Last edited:
I use Abena M4 as my 24/7s because in comparison to the cheap diapers that are available in stores here I go through half as many and they aren't twice as expensive, so they are actually the cheapest option for me when it comes down to cost per time period.

The One You Can Use

There are a variety of diapers made by different companies for different needs. It would be better to use what works. Not everyone wants or needs a diaper that holds for 8 hours. Sensitive skin requires drier conditions. Some get this by changing more often. Others use higher capacity diapers. It is a matter of what works.

For someone wearing 24/7, it basically boils down to least cost and hassle per day while still being covered. The person's needs and preferences also matter. Cheaper diapers allow the user to change more often, have a slimmer diaper, and may cost less for some people. This would be better for those with frequent bowel leakage which would waste the capacity of more expensive diapers.

More expensive diapers with much higher capacities hold much more than 3 cheap diapers. My favorite, Dry 24/7, holds 96 ounce according to XPmedical. I can change fewer diapers, worry less about leaks, and save money. This makes them better for me. They are supposed to last 8-12 hours, but last me more like 6-8 hours during the day. With cheap diapers, I can go through up to 8 in one day. That gets expensive. These also keep me drier, fit more comfortably, and boost my confidence. By the case, they are barely more expensive per diaper than cheap ones. For my needs, expensive is better.

Another thing to note is that 24/7 wearers often do not choose one diaper only. They often have several options available. I usually have Tena Flex Maxi on hand and assume they can only take one wetting. These are neither cheap nor super absorbent. I like them because of how easy they are to change and move out of the way to use the toilet. There is more to diaper selection than price and absorbency. It must work for the user.

Now, regarding specific diapers, I have not heard the best reviews on the newer Wellness products. Seems like they are more hype than anything. I have tried a bag of the Wellness briefs a while ago and was not happy. The absorbency was supposed to last 8 hours, but the cheap plastic backing and tapes apparently was not. My capacity ratings may be skewed, but their capacity did not impress me either. Could not even wear them overnight. They may have been expensive, but that did not make them better.

For me, cost savings are important. Comfort is important. Some of the really cheap diapers fail to deliver these to me. Some expensive diapers fail also. Again, figure out what works and go with it. Abena makes excellent products that do not fit me well. Used to think they were the best on the market; now I don't. They are still just as good. Now I have something that fits me better. The better diaper is the one you can use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back