Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Would Christ treat Gays like Christians?

Unhappy Would Christ treat Gays like Christians?

As Christians, we claim to be followers of Jesus Christ, His teachings, and the writing done under His authority. Jesus ate with tax collectors, requested water from a Samaritan women, and told people their sins were forgiven. Jesus preached love your neighbor. Is this not the example Christians should be following? Who really thinks Jesus Christ would treat the LGBT community with hatred and disrespect?

On whose authority do Christians attack homosexuals? What authorizes them to hate the LGBT community? What reward do they expect? Bonus question: Is the homosexual more vile than the hateful Christian?

I am a devout Christian; I believe the Bible; and I believe I should love all of my neighbors.

Christianity and sexuality are hopelessly tangled, as it is in many religions. My guess is Christ did not concern himself with sex acts, but modern day disciples are obsessed with which acts are morally acceptable and which aren't, and they use the O.T. as their authority. One thing about the O.T. is that it can be used to justify just about anything the human mind can conjure up.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Christianity and sexuality are hopelessly tangled, as it is in many religions. My guess is Christ did not concern himself with sex acts, but modern day disciples are obsessed with which acts are morally acceptable and which aren't, and they use the O.T. as their authority. One thing about the O.T. is that it can be used to justify just about anything the human mind can conjure up.
    Another thing about the O.T is it is the OLD TESTAMENT/the OLD Covenant, Christianity is supposed to be based on the N.T. or NEW TESTAMENT/NEW Covenant. Not saying that Christians should ignore the O.T. but some things from the old are not needed in the new, so my challenge to anyone that uses the old testament as their "authority" is to see what the new testament says about it, and if their stance is not really supported by both they need to cut that part out.

On the question: I am one that would think that Jesus would treat the LGBT community with love and respect, not cause of what they are, as a community, but cause of who they are as people

Jesus would look at the millions upon millions of dollars raised to oppose same sex marriage and wonder why that money wasn't spent on serving and protecting the poor, homeless, mentally ill and the rest of societies most vulnerable demographics. 32.3 million dollars spent to push Prop 8 in California alone. He'd then wonder how that money could have been squandered in such a way in his name.

Paul apparently says so in the new testament as well. Its not just in the old testament. I don't really follow christianity anymore though, whether or not there is a god doesnt really matter to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    Who's to say Jesus wasn't gay?
    Huh. There was an editorial piece in the Guardian, written by an Anglican clergyman, claiming that Jesus was probably gay.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...s-gay-probably

Of course, there's another article from the same year suggesting he was married!

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ally-have-wife

:-/

Jesus speaks to heterosexual infidelity many times but never mentions homosexuality. Of course, he obeyed the rabbinical law, so He may have thought that it didn't need mentioning. In almost every case where sin was involved, Jesus said, "Your sin is forgiven. Go and sin no more." It's the "no more" that's hard to do as we all sin. The definition of sin is anything that separates one from God. The bigger issue is that if one is born gay, how can being gay be sinful? It just doesn't make sense.

I think christ would love all of his children, gay or not, and concern himself with bigger issues like war, disease, and suicide.

By repeatedly pointing to a single verse in Leviticus, Christians are implying that Christ's sacrifice on the cross was completely irrelevant. They are committing one of the most obscene acts of blasphemy in their religion. Jesus was supposed to die on the cross to supplant the old law, and bring in the new covenant.

Unless they're willing to also call for bans on shellfish and wearing clothing of mixed fabrics, and any of the other numerous forbidden activities in Leviticus and other Old Testament legal codes, they're nothing but hateful hypocrites.