Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumb But Serious

Default Dumb But Serious

Okay I'm going to admit to something really really REALLY STUPID. I'm really horrible at brushing my teeth. I've promise myself I was going to do better about this. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me on this. Honestly I wouldn't mind if people made fun of me because of this. Maybe it will help me reinforce a better habit.

jamie1

Are you horrible at the act of brushing, or do you forget a lot?

If your talking about the act I'd recommend a simple electric toothbrush; theres no need for all out brushing, just slowly roll it back and forth. If you forget (which I can very much relate), try setting an alarm on your phone to go off when you usually go to sleep.

Look after them now keep them later, brushing your teeth is anything but a waste of time. You'll hit a certain age threshold where maintaining them will become very important. You'll end up more acceptable to cavities, gum disease, gingivitis, ulcers and other oral related health issues later on, and that's just age alone that causes that so look after them now. Plus I am led to believe that poor dental hygiene is linked to heart disease, so yeah.

jamie1

Sometimes my teeth tend to feel strange and uncomfortable after I've forgotten a night. What I'm saying is to capitalize on that weird feeling and get in your head that its bad-wierd and to avoid it you just have to fight that annoying and very wrong thought in your head that its not worth it- because it is.

Yeah i know what you mean. I tend to have this problem myself too. Unfortunately its a bit different for me as i tend to be busy in the morning so i tend to walk out the door and drive to work and by then its too late for me to do it (either that or i have had a late night, not much sleep and want to be able to have as much time to sleep as i can). Ive been trying to get better at it and i know that its not particularly good to not brush your teeth. However, i guess one good aspect of my dental hygiene, is that i regularly see a dentist to make sure they are cleaned properly. But that being said, i do need to take more care of them.

I did end up having a really weird dream last night about my teeth and not brushing them all the time like I'm supposed to. I ended up dreaming that i had some teeth that became loose all of a sudden and that if you touched them (as in with your finger touch them) that they would just get looser and looser each time you touched a tooth until they would eventually fall out. It was really weird. But i guess it is a way of my subconscious saying that i definitely need to be doing more for that and taking better care of them. So I'm going to try again to be good and get into a habit. Hopefully i can do well with it again (sometimes i have periods where i manage to do well with it and other times i just get too busy in the morning/night that i forget/walk out the door or fall asleep).

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBabyMagicain View Post
    Okay I'm going to admit to something really really REALLY STUPID. I'm really horrible at brushing my teeth. I've promise myself I was going to do better about this. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me on this. Honestly I wouldn't mind if people made fun of me because of this. Maybe it will help me reinforce a better habit.
    You're not stupid, you just have to make it into a habit more than a chore, same with flossing.

Trust me I know from experience I use to not brush my teeth for 3-4 days, but over time I made it a habit.
    Last thing you want is a toothache or having teeth pulled. Tooth pain can be some of the worst pain you can commonly have.

Ways of developing it as a habit is to brush without toothpaste while watching TV, even without toothpaste this is really effective tooth care.
    I always carry floss where ever I go. I get funny looks sometimes but I don't care, I care more about my teeth than stares. Keep hand sanitizer for when done.

They used to have and maybe still do, toothbrushes that play music for children to brush their teeth longer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBabyMagicain View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I'm terrible about it. My teeth aren't in the best condition, and I've had a lot of dental work done. I've tried for a couple years to make a better habit of it, with very limited success.

My advice... get a job at a company with good dental insurance =/.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek61 View Post
    I did end up having a really weird dream last night about my teeth and not brushing them all the time like I'm supposed to. I ended up dreaming that i had some teeth that became loose all of a sudden and that if you touched them (as in with your finger touch them) that they would just get looser and looser each time you touched a tooth until they would eventually fall out. It was really weird. But i guess it is a way of my subconscious saying that i definitely need to be doing more for that and taking better care of them. So I'm going to try again to be good and get into a habit. Hopefully i can do well with it again (sometimes i have periods where i manage to do well with it and other times i just get too busy in the morning/night that i forget/walk out the door or fall asleep).
    OH MY GOD

I have had this exact same dream!!!