Status
Not open for further replies.

KryanAshford

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
With so many movie going to remakes I wanted to know, which one do you like better. For example War of the Worlds, I was shown this movie by my father. This could be one of my better memory with him. He explained this movie to me at five years old. I still enjoy this version to this day. I perfer it to the new one. This movie sparked my imagination. The story was great. The ending was odd and unexpected at the time. I was told about the radio version of the classic story. I listen to it as well. I enjoyed Orson Welles telling of story.

That was obviously my favorite classic movie. I think they lost some of the magic in the remake. So which movie series do you like, and is it the Classic or Remake?

A lot of remakes don't hold up, but I don't think that's inherently something wrong with the idea of a remake. It gives a director a chance to show us a unique take on something we already know.

The beloved version of A Little Princess is actually a remake. Clint Eastwood's A Fistfull of Dollars is a remake. 2010's True Grit. Scarface, Pet Shop of Horrors, Sweeny Todd, Bram Stroker's Dracula. All remakes.

If I'm being honest, I'm not trying to be critical of your.. criticism, but the way you describe your experience the remake of War of the Worlds (which is generally considered solid enough) could never match up to the original, because you have a specific memory that could never be.. remade. It couldn't' send you back in time. A remake's job is to not recapture something, but to show you something you already know at a different angle. That being said, not enjoying a movie for whatever reason is valid.

Now, that being said i'm honestly not that much of a movie person myself, remake or otherwise.

To me it is the classics first. I have seen few remakes that do it any good. Most of the time it is to "upgrade" the technology, but I feel it is just to tell you that you do not need to be imaginative any more.

eek! a sticky one, this; a bit like the book versus the film?
there are a few things to consider, though, with one of the main things being the era of the original. i mean, way back when, movies were pretty much just filmed theatrical productions with most of the performers having been schooled in stage theatrics. nowadays, things are more intimate and introspective and we're all so used to the new way, that whole storylines and backgrounds need only be hinted at and we immediately know the context and how characters should therefore behave.
for more modern films which get remade, it's often the sense of their uniqueness which gets lost in the remake; this is often noticeable when B-movies are remade with bigger budgets and the production is put before the performance. Robocop is probably a good example of this.

as things stand, it's probably a hit-or-miss affair, but if a film is just a cashing-in exercise, it'll most likely be dire (like the Robocop TV series).

I think the original, "The Haunting of Hill House" is much better than the recent remake. The new one started well, but the ending veered of from both the book and the original movie, and was quite stupid, IMO.

dogboy said:
I think the original, "The Haunting of Hill House" is much better than the recent remake. The new one started well, but the ending veered of from both the book and the original movie, and was quite stupid, IMO.

Gotta love Vincent Price. I'm a big horror fan. I have mixed feeling with remakes.

Mattew said:
Gotta love Vincent Price. I'm a big horror fan. I have mixed feeling with remakes.

I really enjoyed the Vincent Price movies, especially when I was a kid, because they showed them on TV late at night. I think "The House of Usher" was one of his better ones: very spooky.

Starrunner said:
The only remake that I recall being better than the original was 'The Fly' which was remade in the mid 1980's with Jeff Goldblum.

I agree with you. The one with Jeff Goldblum was a lot better, in my opinion. I think the more modern techniques of making this kind of movie really helped in this case, as did the contemporary practice of being faster paced.

I am a bit of a movie buff too and agree in most cases the originals are way better than the remakes, "The Italian Job" and "Ocean's Eleven" are the only ones I can think of at the moment that were as good as or better than the original.

I like the new Footloose better than the old one, but my wife would disagree with me on that.

Remakes usually turn me off because I don't find many of them, especially remakes of old slasher movies, to be as charming as the original did. If I can recall, I thought the Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th remakes weren't good enough.

Definitely not a lot of good remakes out there.

I usually prefer the classics over the remakes.

I prefer classics over remakes. The classics are the original story, and sometimes they are the better of the two. I can like remakes sometimes, but it usually doesn't hold up to the classics that younger children are usually raised with. It disappoints me to see the number of remakes today. Like, why not come up with a new, original story that will set this time period and give it a name? The 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, and even the 2000's all had original movies that gave their time a name. The 2010's does, too, though decidedly not as much as past decades did. I will admit bias towards classics and originals in this case.

I prefer the classics to remakes
for example I see there is a remake of National Lampoons Vacation coming out with all new actors, a newer car etc
it looks stupid!!
I prefer the Chevy Chase version my self
I believe that hollywood is running out of ideas for movies and TV shows and that's why they keep remaking movies and tv shows that don't need to be remade

It depends on the remake some movies i am a firm believer they should be remade especially with today's graphics others are classic works of art that should not be touched

I enjoy remakes. I have a thing with older technology in older movies. I can't stand the over-acting.

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
I enjoy remakes. I have a thing with older technology in older movies. I can't stand the over-acting.

I know what you're saying about the over acting. It's almost like there was a shared "school of acting" because they all seemed to act in the same manner. By today's standards, they seem somewhat stiff and stilted. Still, I like Jimmie Stewart in the old Hitchcock movies, and I love Humphrey Bogart in movies like Casablanca.

Remakes almost never capture the heart and soul of the original.
Sometimes they actually come out very well, but I just love older movies.
I don't need fancy computer CGI, or modern technology to enjoy a movie.
They can be nice, but not always needed.

War of the Worlds is a true classic.
I love the original Clash of the Titans as well.
Just so many great movies to list.

War of the Worlds? That was made into a movie? haha I just started reading it a few days ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back