Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic Vs Remakes

Default Classic Vs Remakes

With so many movie going to remakes I wanted to know, which one do you like better. For example War of the Worlds, I was shown this movie by my father. This could be one of my better memory with him. He explained this movie to me at five years old. I still enjoy this version to this day. I perfer it to the new one. This movie sparked my imagination. The story was great. The ending was odd and unexpected at the time. I was told about the radio version of the classic story. I listen to it as well. I enjoyed Orson Welles telling of story.

That was obviously my favorite classic movie. I think they lost some of the magic in the remake. So which movie series do you like, and is it the Classic or Remake?

A lot of remakes don't hold up, but I don't think that's inherently something wrong with the idea of a remake. It gives a director a chance to show us a unique take on something we already know.

The beloved version of A Little Princess is actually a remake. Clint Eastwood's A Fistfull of Dollars is a remake. 2010's True Grit. Scarface, Pet Shop of Horrors, Sweeny Todd, Bram Stroker's Dracula. All remakes.

If I'm being honest, I'm not trying to be critical of your.. criticism, but the way you describe your experience the remake of War of the Worlds (which is generally considered solid enough) could never match up to the original, because you have a specific memory that could never be.. remade. It couldn't' send you back in time. A remake's job is to not recapture something, but to show you something you already know at a different angle. That being said, not enjoying a movie for whatever reason is valid.

Now, that being said i'm honestly not that much of a movie person myself, remake or otherwise.

To me it is the classics first. I have seen few remakes that do it any good. Most of the time it is to "upgrade" the technology, but I feel it is just to tell you that you do not need to be imaginative any more.

eek! a sticky one, this; a bit like the book versus the film?
    there are a few things to consider, though, with one of the main things being the era of the original. i mean, way back when, movies were pretty much just filmed theatrical productions with most of the performers having been schooled in stage theatrics. nowadays, things are more intimate and introspective and we're all so used to the new way, that whole storylines and backgrounds need only be hinted at and we immediately know the context and how characters should therefore behave.
    for more modern films which get remade, it's often the sense of their uniqueness which gets lost in the remake; this is often noticeable when B-movies are remade with bigger budgets and the production is put before the performance. Robocop is probably a good example of this.

as things stand, it's probably a hit-or-miss affair, but if a film is just a cashing-in exercise, it'll most likely be dire (like the Robocop TV series).

I think the original, "The Haunting of Hill House" is much better than the recent remake. The new one started well, but the ending veered of from both the book and the original movie, and was quite stupid, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I think the original, "The Haunting of Hill House" is much better than the recent remake. The new one started well, but the ending veered of from both the book and the original movie, and was quite stupid, IMO.
    Gotta love Vincent Price. I'm a big horror fan. I have mixed feeling with remakes.

The only remake that I recall being better than the original was 'The Fly' which was remade in the mid 1980's with Jeff Goldblum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattew View Post
    Gotta love Vincent Price. I'm a big horror fan. I have mixed feeling with remakes.
    I really enjoyed the Vincent Price movies, especially when I was a kid, because they showed them on TV late at night. I think "The House of Usher" was one of his better ones: very spooky.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    The only remake that I recall being better than the original was 'The Fly' which was remade in the mid 1980's with Jeff Goldblum.
    I agree with you. The one with Jeff Goldblum was a lot better, in my opinion. I think the more modern techniques of making this kind of movie really helped in this case, as did the contemporary practice of being faster paced.

I am a bit of a movie buff too and agree in most cases the originals are way better than the remakes, "The Italian Job" and "Ocean's Eleven" are the only ones I can think of at the moment that were as good as or better than the original.

I like the new Footloose better than the old one, but my wife would disagree with me on that.