Not open for further replies.

puppyfat

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Little
Does anyone here use a nightlight? I've been considering getting one... past couple months my anxiety has been so high. Two things make it worse-- silence and darkness. I've mitigated the silence problem with some white noise tracks. But the darkness part-- the sliver of light that shines through the blinds isn't very comforting? But I also don't really have enough electrical outlets in my room for a nightlight, so it'd have to be something I put in my bed. And! I share a room with someone who I am not out to about AB stuff at all. I've jokingly brought up the nightlight thing in passing and she didn't seem to mind but. Ack.

I like both silence and darkness, so I have no general interest in nightlights. However, I found an app that I could put on my tablet that has a nightlight with a small range of soothing sounds. What I particularly liked about it is that it listens to noise in the room and after a period of quiet, it shuts down on its own. If there's enough noise it kicks back on for at least five minutes. I've played around with it a bit and although I don't find it conventionally comforting, it sometimes tweaks some interesting feelings. Fun as an occasional novelty.

Addressing your specific problem, I wonder if there isn't something you could lay your hands on in the LED department that's battery powered or maybe rechargable that could be dimmed. They use so little power, it might be feasible if you can keep the light low enough.

I use my mouse as a nightlight when I'm sleeping little. If I have power go to the USB when the computer is off it stays lit. I think this would probably annoy your roommate more than a nightlight though because they wouldn't see the purpose and just see it as annoying.

I've gotnightlifhts spread around the house to use late at night, if I've got company over, so they can walk around & not stub their toe, late at night.

I'm the exact opposite tho. I need silence & darkness to sleep.

How bright do you need it to be? I've got an alarm clock, that's got a bright display. I keep it turned face-down, so I can still get some sleep. Maybe there's something like that, that you could use.

Trevor said:
I like both silence and darkness, so I have no general interest in nightlights. However, I found an app that I could put on my tablet that has a nightlight with a small range of soothing sounds. What I particularly liked about it is that it listens to noise in the room and after a period of quiet, it shuts down on its own. If there's enough noise it kicks back on for at least five minutes. I've played around with it a bit and although I don't find it conventionally comforting, it sometimes tweaks some interesting feelings. Fun as an occasional novelty.

Addressing your specific problem, I wonder if there isn't something you could lay your hands on in the LED department that's battery powered or maybe rechargable that could be dimmed. They use so little power, it might be feasible if you can keep the light low enough.

That app does sound nice, but I wish it responded to silence and not noise! The noise is when I wouldn't need it, not when I would. If that makes sense. Do you mean like an LED light that's small? Those don't heat up, right?

Cauthon said:
I use my mouse as a nightlight when I'm sleeping little. If I have power go to the USB when the computer is off it stays lit. I think this would probably annoy your roommate more than a nightlight though because they wouldn't see the purpose and just see it as annoying.

That might be it. But! It is a pretty good idea for subtlety.

Mattew said:
I've gotnightlifhts spread around the house to use late at night, if I've got company over, so they can walk around & not stub their toe, late at night.

I'm the exact opposite tho. I need silence & darkness to sleep.

How bright do you need it to be? I've got an alarm clock, that's got a bright display. I keep it turned face-down, so I can still get some sleep. Maybe there's something like that, that you could use.

It doesn't need to be too bright. Basically, the level of light that comes out of my phone screen, but constantly. The minimum requirement is being able to see my plushies' faces.

Hey,
personally, I actually don't need a nightlight. But sometimes when I am in little mode its nice to have some comforting light before falling asleep. Therefore, I bought a really nice nightlight at Ikea. It's chargeable (so you don't need an electric outlet) and it can change the color of the light. So depending on the color, the light is brighter or darker. And on top of that it is cute, but not too childish ;)

spoka-nachtlicht-led-wei-__0097670_PE238442_S4.JPG

-Luci

puppyfat said:
That app does sound nice, but I wish it responded to silence and not noise! The noise is when I wouldn't need it, not when I would. If that makes sense. Do you mean like an LED light that's small? Those don't heat up, right?[snipped]

It can also be set to go for a certain duration but I guess the intent is to shut down when the baby stops fussing and goes to sleep. On the LED front, I was thinking of something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sylvania...ht-Silver-36010/100670785#product_description but a more involved search might get you something more suitable.

puppyfat said:
Does anyone here use a nightlight? I've been considering getting one... past couple months my anxiety has been so high. Two things make it worse-- silence and darkness. I've mitigated the silence problem with some white noise tracks. But the darkness part-- the sliver of light that shines through the blinds isn't very comforting? But I also don't really have enough electrical outlets in my room for a nightlight, so it'd have to be something I put in my bed. And! I share a room with someone who I am not out to about AB stuff at all. I've jokingly brought up the nightlight thing in passing and she didn't seem to mind but. Ack.

I use indoor Christmas lights. They are soft and pleasent and hang around my room. I have them plunged in all winter since it's so dark in Alaska during this time. In the summer months the sun is out all night so no need for lights. But for night lights I use my lovely and calming Christmas lights.

puppyfat said:
Does anyone here use a nightlight? I've been considering getting one... past couple months my anxiety has been so high.
But I also don't really have enough electrical outlets in my room for a nightlight
I share a room with someone who I am not out to about AB stuff at all.
I've jokingly brought up the nightlight thing in passing and she didn't seem to mind but. Ack.

Hi Puppy :)

I use one, and have for many, many years. :)

You can use one of those $2 3 plug extension cords and sit the night light and plug on top of your night table.
They also make some regular bulb and LED night lights that have a plug on them so you can plug something else into it.

If you or your roomie might think the light will be too bright , get one with a frosted cover and use a frosted bulb too.
Also what I do is use colored Christmas lights :) I know colored bulbs can be a pain to find (outside of Christmas season) but it is nice to be able to change the color. I think green, red and blue are the nicer warmer colors.

And do not think of it as a ab thing. Plenty of people use and like night lights for lots of reasons.
I also suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and I too just do not like being completely in the dark.

Also if you shop around, (I have one and LOVE it) you can prob find a miniature lamp that uses night light bulbs and has a cute little shade too, I love mine and I think its absolutely adorable. They usually have a spinning clicking on/off switch in the cord.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: You mentioned your roomie is a girl. Girls generally don't mind them so don't worry about it. K. Just go get yourself one. :D

Thank you all for your suggestions!

I don't need a night light but my wife has trouble sleeping. She turns on the New Age music channel (Direct TV, 866) and we just let it play all night. After a few minutes the TV screen dims and there's just the small light emitted by the floating square telling you what the song is, author, etc. The best part is that if you don't change channels after 3 hours, the Direct TV receiver turns itself off. If you're sleeping with someone else in the room, I'm sure she wouldn't like this, but it works for us.

Hi there! I'm personally scared of the dark and I don't have an outlet near my bed for a nightlight either, so I use a Dream Lite. It's basically a pillow pet (made by the same company) that shines a light on your ceiling. There's many different kinds, so I'd look on the website or amazon to find one that you like! (o´ω`o) I have a pink and purple unicorn!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=dreamlite

I have little flower twinkle lights from IKEA that i keep on at all times, but i also have this moon nightlight that i keep plugged in close to my door so that i can see around my room when i have to get up in the night. I definitely like keeping them on just in case!

I still have my original childhood night light that was purchased when I was a toddler. It's a fancy onne that had a green panel on the front that lights up instead of a bulb, I have in clue how it works or how this was possible in 1994, but I like it better than bulbs.

Trevor said:
However, I found an app that I could put on my tablet that has a nightlight with a small range of soothing sounds. What I particularly liked about it is that it listens to noise in the room and after a period of quiet, it shuts down on its own. If there's enough noise it kicks back on for at least five minutes. I've played around with it a bit and although I don't find it conventionally comforting, it sometimes tweaks some interesting feelings. Fun as an occasional novelty.
That sounds cool. What app is that?

The green pad lights that kitterdafoxy mentioned are cool.
Also you could use a usb with built in led maybe. tho setup may be annoying.

Stay away from TV/CRT screens and also mood lighting emitting "BLUE LIGHT" !
According to the folks that specialize in sleeping disorders the Blue Light tends
to inhibit well rested sleep. Also some cell phones with large screens can be a
culprit in not getting the right kind of sleep.

There are small LED lights with a sensor that when plugged into an AC outlet
emit a glow significantly less than a candle (which never should be done).
When fully dark the light is just enough to feel about a room for the exit.
As the light intensity increases the glow gradually fades to OUT. The cost
for one of these lights in say a Home Depot is a couple of bucks the energy
to use one all year less than a nickel and they are warranted for 30K hours.
Another innocent lighting device is the wall switch - get one with the lever
that lights up with the lights off or a back lighted cover.

For another extreme just leave all the lights on for full dose of sleep deprivation !

Another aspect to consider is wear a blindfold the other end of extreme !

Yeah I agree with MandyBear. I'm gay but I love girls because they're always so much more accepting and understanding than guys. Yah, I'd love a night night but at the moment the cool bluey-green glow from my old Clock radio seems to be okay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back