Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdp

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
I've started moving over to cloth diapers from disposable and am looking for easy changing. Has anyone ever used a wet bag for cloth diapers? If so, how well do they work for you and are there any tricks like sprinkling baking soda in the bag with the wet diapers?

I don't wear cloth very often, however, when I do I will usually rinse the diapers in cold water and wring them out and then place them in a plastic shopping bag until laundry day. You certainly don't want to let those things sit for more than 3 days or so, even bagged, as they will be pretty rank. I've never tried wet bags though. Should be interesting to see what others have to say!

I've never even worn cloth to my recollection, but I like Shiba's idea of rinsing them before you stuff them in somewhere. I've often had to stash disposables before getting them to the trash can discreetly and they smell bad really quick. The smell for cloth wouldn't be the issue for me, but it has to be indicative of some sort of bacteria growing in that environment. In which case, the sooner you can dilute the 'breeding grounds' the better for overall sanitation.

BigKid25 said:
but it has to be indicative of some sort of bacteria growing in that environment. In which case, the sooner you can dilute the 'breeding grounds' the better for overall sanitation.

I don't know how well dillution helps, but urine is basically "biological trash" removed from your blood. It's basically fertilizer for bacteria, and has the water they need too, so it doesn't take the bacteria in the air (and was in your diaper before since it wasn't sterile, and most importantly, the bacterial transferred from your SKIN) to thrive and multiply. The odor comes from the waste products of the bacteria. Cold would slow their growth, and the chlorine in the tapwater might help a little? Separation from oxygen by keeping them damp likely contributes?

bambinod said:
I don't know how well dillution helps, but urine is basically "biological trash" removed from your blood. It's basically fertilizer for bacteria, and has the water they need too, so it doesn't take the bacteria in the air (and was in your diaper before since it wasn't sterile, and most importantly, the bacterial transferred from your SKIN) to thrive and multiply. The odor comes from the waste products of the bacteria. Cold would slow their growth, and the chlorine in the tapwater might help a little? Separation from oxygen by keeping them damp likely contributes?

When I said Dilute I didn't mean just throw them in water and let them sit soaked. I meant rinse them off to 'dilute' (best word I could think of to mean remove most but obviously not all of the bacteria breeding grounds) whatever waste was there. I wasn't very clear, so thank you for clarifying.

- - - Updated - - -

Ringing them out after the rinsing would be ideal as well. And from the information you included, it appears air drying would be best. The problem is, not everyone has that option when they are dealing with discretion.

Since I usually wear at night and get up wet, I rinse my diaper out thoroughly in the shower when I'm getting washed. I then hang them up in the basement where they dry. There is no smell problem using this method. When I have enough to wash, they go into the washing machine.

Thank you all for the input. Rinsing them first helps, but you still need to wash them every couple of days. I found they are helpful when you are not close to home but not a replacement for a diaper pail.

dogboy said:
Since I usually wear at night and get up wet, I rinse my diaper out thoroughly in the shower when I'm getting washed. I then hang them up in the basement where they dry. There is no smell problem using this method. When I have enough to wash, they go into the washing machine.

I am with Dogboy, I rinse / wash my training underpants in the shower each morning (if I was wet) and air dry them. If you have to use cloth and then change (public restroom?) then obviously a very tight ziplock bag is my only guess to make it until you have a laundromat available if travelling. I go with disposables and some of the good advice others have provided about air travel and changing on a flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back