Incontinence concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rufusc24

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I am usually dry but have stress incontinence.
I always wear a Tena guard when I ride my bike.
After a 15 mile ride I can back was was very wet. Soaked thru the Tena Guard.
After I showered and dressed noticed that I started leaking, even though I was not doing any activity that would cause stress incontinence. After going through another pare of underwear I inserted a new Tena guard.
I was dry when I woke up and ok the next day.
I found the experience worrisome, but I have been OK since

If you have been leaking once in a while for some time it could be an OAB that's acting up, that's how mine started and it got to the point that I needed a full taped diaper. You should make an appointment with your doctor to make sure all is ok and it's not the start of somthing bigger.

I started to dry up the next day, but have been having stress incontinence. I have an appointment next week.

Have you had your prostate checked lately? An enlarged or infected one can cause trouble. Also, bladder infections can cause leaking. Might want to see a doctor if it flares up again.

Most important thing is that you have an appointment to see the doctor. We can't really diagnose, but can give suggestions on how to deal with it. You're going the right direction.

My prostate isn't the problem, it is my lack of a prostate. I am a prostate cancer survivor and had a prostatectomy. I was very wet after the operation but I have greatly improved. So when I start leaking I start worrying. It has gotten better since my first post.

I noticed you were riding you bike just before the problem,

Some bike seats can cause problems to the area.

Even though you have had a prostatectomy the pressure of your seat on the area still can cause urological and neurological damage.

I have small fiber polyneuropathy, Urinary urgency, and BPH and had to go to a special seat.
Best thing i ever did.
http://www.spongywonder.com/

and they work and feel better when you are diapered.

I am fairly new to dealing with my incontinence , i had a work related accident 3 years ago an still dealing with my doctor with it. Had a seizure, fell an hurt my back and have been dealing with this problem ever since. Makes me feel strange being so young with this, doctor thinks it's related to spinel trama. Sorry just felt like a good thread to get my feet wet. Still weird for me to talk about.

This is a good place to get used to talking about it, Chrisy. You are showing your courage as you begin that process here.

We all struggle with shame in the beginning. I found it helpful to talk with a few people I knew I could trust. That and time made it easier to deal with the emotions. Eventually I realized that most people never notice, and the people who loved me before ... still do!

Incontinence is bothersome, but it doesn't have to be life-changing.

Thanks for the support Brandi,Rufusc24 an Rob110. All of you seem very genuine :) unlike adm. Your caring an helpful messages make me know that there are others out there that do really care.

Well accepting that you have a problem is the first step, the other steps aren't as hard. Though accepting a problem is not to be viewed as accepting that nothing can be done about your problem.

When I started out having bladder problems I also rejected that there was a problem and refused to act accordingly. I think that's only normal from what I have read from others. Until after a couple of times with very wet pants and wet bed where I still tried to hide the accidents. My wife suggested I should begin wear a diaper to bed, and only some time after, I began wearing diapers during the day too, I quickly realized that with a diaper on, my day was not as stressfull as it used to, now I didn't have to be in constant alarm mode, though I still did obviosly, but wet pants was by now history. In the beginning it was embarresing having to resort to wearing diapers, and I still feel embarressed, but soon it became normal. Though I haven't revealed my status to neither family nor friends, only my wife and doctor knows about it. Soon enough my I'll have to disclose it to my son, as he get's older. He has already asked my wife about the plastic pants hanging to dry, who's they are and why I have to wear them.

Keep up the good mood and carry on living, that's my advice, in the begiing hard to deal with, but later on, you'll get the hang of it.

Nottheaverageman is right acceptance is crucial to dealing with bladder issues, it takes a little while to come to terms with having to wear 24/7 but once you learn to trust your diaper (always buy premium diapers like dry 24/7's) and you come to terms with wearing diapers you will soon find that life in diapers is not that bad.

I have been wearing 24/7 for 8 months now and I no longer worry about wetting in public no one notices as,long as you do not react when your bladder releases. There is no shame in having to wear diapers and diapers are a way better choice then the current meds out there to deal with bladder issues.

Things to remember
You are not alone in having to wear diapers
You can always ask any questions here as we all are going through the same issues and have to wear protection.
Always buy and we are premium diapers this is key to learning to trust your diaper.
Always let your doctor or urologist know if your condition changes.
Let your family know you need to wear for medical reasons it takes a lot of stress away as you don't have to explain the backpack you now have to carry.

Once you have been diapered for aa while it will become second nature and you won't stress about having to wear

Rob110 said:
Nottheaverageman is right acceptance is crucial to dealing with bladder issues, it takes a little while to come to terms with having to wear 24/7 but once you learn to trust your diaper (always buy premium diapers like dry 24/7's) and you come to terms with wearing diapers you will soon find that life in diapers is not that bad.

I have been wearing 24/7 for 8 months now and I no longer worry about wetting in public no one notices as,long as you do not react when your bladder releases. There is no shame in having to wear diapers and diapers are a way better choice then the current meds out there to deal with bladder issues.

Things to remember
You are not alone in having to wear diapers
You can always ask any questions here as we all are going through the same issues and have to wear protection.
Always buy and we are premium diapers this is key to learning to trust your diaper.
Always let your doctor or urologist know if your condition changes.
Let your family know you need to wear for medical reasons it takes a lot of stress away as you don't have to explain the backpack you now have to carry.

Once you have been diapered for aa while it will become second nature and you won't stress about having to wear

I second Rob110.

I have been wearing for close to two years now, OAB and urge incontinence.

Well, not reacting while wetting when you are standing in front of someone discussing business or something else and who doesn't know about you either wearing a diaper and having bladder issues, has never been a big deal to me, in fact I never had a choice than just let things happen. When my bladder starts to get full, it get's very uncomfortable to me, so it's actually a really relief being able to just let go.
I wear premium diapers myself, and rarely have a leak, that only happens if I put on the wrong diaper in the first place not anticipating being out for a long period, then I might end up with a serious leak. Tried it in front of 20 people (My coworkers who doesn't know about my bladder problems and that I wear a diaper) when I got up from the chair, the chair was all wet and so was my pants.....no one said a thing, and never had.

There's a lot that comes about when incontinence becomes a concern, and accepting that there is an issue is a big step to getting it dealt with properly. It doesn't matter if you're using medications, surgery, or absorbent products to deal with it, you're getting it properly addressed.

Here on ADISC, people tend to be very non-judgmental about it and understanding and helpful. We try to stress that your best course of action if you feel you have a medical issue is to see your doctor, mainly because we are not doctors, cannot know your medical history, and cannot examine you to understand what is happening. From there, the incontinence forum here is a great place to discuss management tools and methods, or just to vent. There are people who come through who wear for the fun of it, but they are always respectful that those of us with incontinence don't really have a choice. Well, we do have a choice as to how we manage the issue, but that's about it.

Acceptance can be the toughest part of incontinence. Over time, I probably have gone through three identifiable phases.

The first and most difficult was accepting that I had a problem and admitting that I was "incontinent."

The second was admitting that I had to wear "diapers."

Once past those two phases it was all much easier. The physical mechanics of wearing diapers was easy as it just required a lot of learning and trial and error to find the best products for me (I'm double incontinent - both bladder and bowel) and how to wear them.

Today I am not ashamed of my incontinence. It is just one of several medical conditions over which I have no control. I am not ashamed that I wear diapers. However, I do not flaunt or advertise the fact, just as I would not flaunt or discuss my underwear in public.

--John

I have to agree with other comments here, self acceptance of your condition is the most difficult. It took me almost 2 years to fully come to terms that I will always have to use diapers. I doubt anyone other than my wife has ever noticed, but I do not not advertise, nor do I take great pains to hide the fact either. The only others I told were my grown children and my best friend who would most likely have discovered it sooner or later. The things I learned along the way is always have spare diapers and pants nearby in case of a leak. Trust your diaper, but also learn its capability. Do not overextend a diapers capacity in the public until you have tried and tested it in the comfort and security of your home. If you leak in public, and you will...do not stress about it. Act natural and just take care of the situation. Someone may notice, but who cares. And lastly, always take extra care while visiting friends and family. Especially if they are unaware of your situation. Even though I wearing a diaper, I try to take a bathroom break every hour or so just so I can double check everything, and change before i get anywhere near saturation point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back