Biking

Status
Not open for further replies.

nezquic66

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
I'm highly considering buying a road or cyclocross bike, and wanted to see what everyone on here has for suggestions. I've looked into a Trek cyclocross as well as a Fuji Sportif. I bike on my own, but want something to help take me to the next level and think that these two bikes are good starters.
If anyone who is a biker has a suggestion, please let me know!

Unless you are planning on competitive road racing of any kind, I would definitely recommend getting a cyclocross bike as opposed to a road bike. For smooth pavement, you can always use narrow road tires, but at least you have the option to use fatter tires on your bike for dirt or gravel roads. Trek and Fuji both make very good bikes; most brands do these days. What is really important is finding a bike that fits you well, and then maintaining it properly. I would advise you to find a local bike shop that has a good reputation for a service and repairs. Buying the bike from them, will help ensure that you get the proper size, and that you will have a reliable mechanic to help with upkeep over the life of the bike. Buying this way, will likely be somewhat more expensive than online, or through a discount retailer. However, it will ensure that whichever bike you purchase will serve you well for many years to come. Good luck, and happy riding!
-Bean

^^^ I disagree. If you're primarily a road rider, get a road bike. If you're primarily a mountain biker, get a mountain bike. If you're primarily a commuter over shit pavement, get a 'cross bike. Get the bike that is meant to do what you want to do. Very rarely does the "Swiss Army Knife" approach yield you a better tool for a particular job than the tool designed to do that job. A road bike will have different geometry that will get you more aero, will weigh less, and will ultimately help you ride more efficiently if you're primarily a road and/or distance rider. I prefer a 'cross bike for commuting because of the robust frame and more upright position (better visibility) and potential for disc brakes (which I have on my commuter).

I can't speak to the particulars of those specific bikes, as I'm about to leave for work. But, hopefully I've said something useful, anyway.

Good point Maxx. I have a Trek road bike and a Trek hybrid. I find I ride the hybrid most of the time now, but there's a reason for that. I have back problems and my back prefers the upright position. If it helps, I ride a Trek 7.5, and it is a fast bike. I like having that smaller gear (it has three rings like a mountain bike) for the hills. I have no intention of racing anyone but I'm usually passing other bikers on our trail. Like Maxx, I prefer our bike trail to being run over by idiots in their cars. My son's best friend was killed on his bike by one such idiot.

See, I ride a bike trail that is crushed limestone on top of a cement and compact dirt at home, but have the chance for road riding as well, because I live in a small town and have access to rural areas. However, I'm slightly against road riding for now.
Yet, when I'm at college, I'll be doing road riding 95% of the time, though, I'll be doing more riding at home in the summer on bike trails.
That's what drew me to a hybrid/cyclocross bike. A local bike shop offered me a Fuji road bike at a good price, and the technician said a hybrid tire would fit well with my bike. The tires ran $25 per tire.
I was weary of this at first, and am still doing all the research I can.

Maxx said:
Reminded me of the most important issue when getting a bike of any kind - Size and Setup. Frame size, saddle height, bar height, saddle angle, stem length. Most bike shop people are more than happy to help you get this right if you ask. Don't be in such a hurry that you blow it off. A few millimeters in any of these can make the difference between a fast, comfortable ride, and a torture device that lives out its days collecting dust in the garage. .

Great response Maxx, and you're right. When I bought my rode bike many years ago, the bike shop was having a sale using a radio station to discount dollars. I got a fairly expensive bike for less than what the store bought it for, according to them. I simply snatched up a good sale. When I bought my hybrid a couple of years ago, I paid full dollar, but I had them fit the bike to me. We actually spent quite a bit of time doing all of that. It does make a difference. All I can say is, I wish I could ride with you because I'd learn a lot. I probably ought to join a riding club sometime.

Update! I found a Trek 1.1 that a bike shop is selling. It is used, though, in great condition. It's a 56cm, my size. However, this is a rod bike. I was wanting more of a cyclocross, though, this will work. It is being sold for $500, an amazing price!

My biggest concern are tires, as mentioned before. The current tire size is 25mm in width, and 700mm in height (if I remember right). I want to know if anyone knows of a hybrid tire that I would be able to fit to it if I decide to buy it. I live in a more rural area, so road riding only isn't a big issue, though, my local bike path on crushed limestone is what I'd love to ride on.

If anyone knows of a good hybrid-style tire that I can outfit on it, please let me know!

I really need to get back into riding my bike. It's been ages.

nezquic66 said:
Update! I found a Trek 1.1 that a bike shop is selling. It is used, though, in great condition. It's a 56cm, my size. However, this is a rod bike. I was wanting more of a cyclocross, though, this will work. It is being sold for $500, an amazing price!

My biggest concern are tires, as mentioned before. The current tire size is 25mm in width, and 700mm in height (if I remember right). I want to know if anyone knows of a hybrid tire that I would be able to fit to it if I decide to buy it. I live in a more rural area, so road riding only isn't a big issue, though, my local bike path on crushed limestone is what I'd love to ride on.

If anyone knows of a good hybrid-style tire that I can outfit on it, please let me know!
Not sure what hybrid tires are available in 25mm width, but Continental GatorSkins come in 25mm width. They run for a few thousand kilometers before they're worn out, and they're about as impervious to flats as anything made of rubber holding air can be. I have them on my commuter (a Voodoo steel 'cross frame built up), and I've ridden gravel and crushed stone trails with ease with them. I've ridden a lot of Detroit with them, complete with our shit streets and broken glass everywhere.

So, if you can't find the tires you're thinking of, you might still be in ok shape. 25mm tires are wide enough they won't pose too many stability problems, provided you're not talking about a super loose base.

^^Fair point. I haven't had to replace mine in a few years now (this set has several thousand km on it), but I just looked up the current pricing. $50/tire.

But, they'll last for literally thousands of km, so the cost is well and truly amortized by the time you're looking to replace them again. By way of comparison, I've already replaced the tubeless tires I have on my titanium roadie once, and I put maybe a third of my kms on it. The Gatorskins are a big hit at once, but then you'll be set for at least a couple years before you're ponying up cash again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back