Gender Stereotypes

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirohamada

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
I know not many can fit toddler pull-ups or goodnites. But I kinda really hate the sterotypes when it comes to prints for example boys have Thomas the Train and Spiderman and Girls have princesses and Dora

If you don't like it, buy the girl ones. Stereotypes aren't going away any time soon and how the future generations are being forced and shaped, it ain't gonna get any better. I like the girl ones due to they put more absorbency up in the front.

I don't support gender stereotyping or "nuclear" ideals, but I think that if done correctly, they can be cute and just fine (look at the early 90's Huggies, it's cute and nothing to start a riot over).

I'm a guy and I always get the girly pull ups because I like them better. It is a shame that these kinda sterotypes still exist though - pink for a girl and blue for a boy.

I have to disagree with boobybird89 that sterotypes aren't going away. I mean it's obvious they're not going away altogether but I certainly feel like in todays society, in many parts of the world, gender roles are becoming more fluid. Women are more free to do typically male jobs and vice versa. I think todays average male is deffinetely more in touch with his feminine side than say 50 years ago. Hopefully one day people will be able to be as masculine or as feminine as they like without feeling confined by their gender.

I buy both boy and girl Goodnites depending on my mood. I also have blue themed and pink themed Baby Pants training pants. Why not enjoy both?

I actually really like the boys gender stereotype prints and don't have any interest at all in wearing girls'

*hides in the corner*

Sheik said:

I actually really like the boys gender stereotype prints and don't have any interest at all in wearing girls'

*hides in the corner*

Nothing wrong with that :)

This is such a silly thing to get upset over. My best friend has a three year old son in pull-ups and he wears both the boys and girls ones. Whatever he wants, she gets him. If there's a preference, go with it. If not, who cares?

I'm no fan of gender stereotypes and am more than happy to see them die. However, of all the problems that gender stereotypes create, gendered pull ups shouldn't be as big a thing to get annoyed by, though when combined with everything else being gendered, I can see those insignificant problems adding up. Buy whichever ones you want. Personally, the prints I buy aren't targeted to a specific gender (that I know) and the rare times I buy gendered diapers, I buy the male ones.

I do agree that the gender stereotypes are getting tired. That said, I would be really heartbroken if anything happened to the girls' Goodnites and we were all stuck with the yucky blue ones...anyway, maybe the solution would be to continue making both, but not market them as boy/girl specific. For pull-ups, you could sell them as "Princess" and "Toy Story" pull-ups (or whatever's on the boy ones, shows what I prefer lol). The problem in my mind isn't so much the designs, but the idea that boys/girls HAVE to wear a specific style.

As a side note, if we went totally gender neutral with this stuff, I wonder what would happen to the ABDL community over time. I'm an LG, and want to wear all the stereotypically feminine baby clothes, because it helps me express my female little side. Thinking of myself, if everything was considered gender neutral, would I be drawn to other baby stuff as well? Or would I identify as a boy like I do as an adult? It's an interesting thought experiment for us gender non-conforming types.

Personally, stereotypes annoy me. I once saw this exact conversation.
"I want that one." *been holding bow and arrow pretty much since the moment she saw it*
"Put that back" *snatches toy out of little kid's hands* "that's for boys, I'll get you a doll instead"
"But I want that one"
"Stop complaining or you're getting nothing"
*picks up spiderman* "this one please?"
"No, that's for little boys and yourse a little girl. If you don't stop being stupid, we're going home" *hands her barbie doll*
*puts doll down and stares longingly at bow and arrow*
"That's it, you're going home, and youre going directly in time out"

Seriously - how dare this woman! It took all my will power not to just buy the poor dear the bow and arrow... And that's one of the reasons I don't like stereotypes... And as for diapers, the boy = blue, girl = pink is annoying. A friend of mine even makes pink diaper covers cos that's his favourite color (his best friends favourite too) but I don't think he's selling... Personally I think people shouldn't make things a gender steryotype. There's nothing wrong for a little girl to like pink dresses, and personally I'm a boy who loves pink dresses and dolls and stuff (my gf thinks it's super cute :3) but I don't think it has anything to do with the fact I'm feminine.

The only thing to keep in mind is how it will affect the kid socially in the years to come. You can be as open-minded as possible, but you should at least educate the kid on what stereotypes they're going to run into. You may set them up to be a bit of an outcast if their engrained behavior is too far out of the accepted "social norm". Their getting treated poorly isn't just, but you have to expect it to a degree, you can't just ignore the streotypes and act as though they don't exist simply because they're not a good thing. You still have to consider the consequences. They're yours to freely accept if you're up for it, but dumping this burdon on the shoulders of your kid is very inconsiderate. Educate them, and let them make the choices for themselves, decide how much they want to go against the wind.

Of course, if I had children, I would at least let them know about the stereotypes, and what people's views can be, but I'm meaning more like I don't like them or think they should exist, and I don't like it when people say someone can't have something just because of stereotypes.

On a slightly different - yet still the same - topic, it doesnt matter what I do, people mistake me for a girl. Even if I'm in my most masculine clothes, people still call me "ma'am" and I still get odd looks in bathrooms.

I'm with boobybird. If you don't like it, buy the girl ones. All the regular diapers are unisex. By the time a toddler is wearing pull ups, they can pretty well decide if they want Dora or Cars. Its pretty much one of the first choices they get to make.

When you're that young, things are simple. Only us adults try to complicate things like gender.

If I have a daughter and she points to a barbie, woohoo, her life is going to be a lot easier. If she points to GI Joe, whatever, she gets a GI Joe.

Hell, when I was that young I had barbie and Ken. I turned out to be a fairly stereotypical male.

PaciPilot said:
I'm with boobybird. If you don't like it, buy the girl ones. All the regular diapers are unisex. By the time a toddler is wearing pull ups, they can pretty well decide if they want Dora or Cars. Its pretty much one of the first choices they get to make.

When you're that young, things are simple. Only us adults try to complicate things like gender.

If I have a daughter and she points to a barbie, woohoo, her life is going to be a lot easier. If she points to GI Joe, whatever, she gets a GI Joe.

Hell, when I was that young I had barbie and Ken. I turned out to be a fairly stereotypical male.

My parents were pretty good about non-gendering toys. If my sister wanted a truck and they said she was allowed, then she got a truck. If I wanted a teddy then no problems as long as they could afford.

Adventurer said:
Thinking of myself, if everything was considered gender neutral, would I be drawn to other baby stuff as well? Or would I identify as a boy like I do as an adult? It's an interesting thought experiment for us gender non-conforming types.

That IS an interesting thought experiment. Of course, at my age, I'll probably be dead before I have to worry about it. :)

I hate the gender thing too. The only boy goodnites I like were the shark ones that I never bought and the dinosaur ones that aren't even here! the only pull ups I really like were the monsters university ones but those were gone in a heart beat! I can't even put my finger on it why I like the girly diapers the best.

Experiment626 said:
I hate the gender thing too. The only boy goodnites I like were the shark ones that I never bought and the dinosaur ones that aren't even here! the only pull ups I really like were the monsters university ones but those were gone in a heart beat! I can't even put my finger on it why I like the girly diapers the best.

I think I'd buy diapers either gender if they had Beast Boy on them... Heck, I'd buy anything with Beast Boy on them XD

Entropio said:
I think I'd buy diapers either gender if they had Beast Boy on them... Heck, I'd buy anything with Beast Boy on them XD
Beast boy as a dinosaur would be cool!

Experiment626 said:
Beast boy as a dinosaur would be cool!

I'd like to see him as a fennec fox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back