Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wearing disposables is the environmental choice...?

Default Wearing disposables is the environmental choice...?

I came upon this interesting article about cotton diapers vs. disposable.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...0c9_story.html

It's worth reading if you have guilt about wearing disposables.

Enjoy.

Of course the environmentally friendly alternative is not to wear diapers at all.

Oh well, no choice there sorry.

I try to be extra environmentally friendly in other areas of my life instead (for instance our family do not own any cars)

Wow, Interesting read and very informative.

I think I will be sticking with my disposables.

Hate to say it, but even if cloth was better, I am so not up for the washing of them, no thanks. lol

Well area like California Cloth diapers are not Greener.

The environmental aspect of cloth all comes down to washing and drying, babys need changing far more than an adult would, so less washing, and hang them out to dry, don't get americas obsession with tumble drying.

Disposables need a lot of resources and water to, their main ingredient is wood pulp, the petrochemical pollution from the nonwovens, plastics, elastic, sap and glue, energy for manufacturing and if you're buying imported diapers from Europe or Asia there's transport to take into account.

Then there's landfill ...

Tumble drying is easy and not everybody has a line to dry from (my neighbor has a line but theres no friendly words to describe her). We're wasting water in plenty of other ways and disposables pile up quick and can cost more financially in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyNappin View Post
    The environmental aspect of cloth all comes down to washing and drying, babys need changing far more than an adult would, so less washing, and hang them out to dry, don't get americas obsession with tumble drying.

Disposables need a lot of resources and water to, their main ingredient is wood pulp, the petrochemical pollution from the nonwovens, plastics, elastic, sap and glue, energy for manufacturing and if you're buying imported diapers from Europe or Asia there's transport to take into account.

Then there's landfill ...
    Have you read the Article? To me it seems you just skimmed it and pass the Important info.

pretty much, my opinions are all that would apply to me, all the stuff about cotton production is largely irrelevant to me, the world needs clothes and some countries pay a price for that,
    Then the manufacturing jobs, huggies shut down there factory here when there is a high demand for semi skilled manufacturing jobs, while cloth nappies are keeping seamstress in work as the clothes manufacturing industry here collapses.

Quote Originally Posted by babymt View Post
    Of course the environmentally friendly alternative is not to wear diapers at all.
    There is a quantum difference between wearing diapers less and not wearing them at all. We can reduce our environmental impact by resolving to enjoy every diaper, or at least try too. There are more detailed discussions of the economics, but wearing less often increases the enjoyment of each diaper much of the time.

Shouldn't every diaper have a right to be either needed or loved?

Quote Originally Posted by BitterGrey View Post
    Shouldn't every diaper have a right to be either needed or loved?
    Absolutely!!!