Oldest Computer you Own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My younger brother still has his Texas Instruments Ti-99/4A Home Computer.
Processor - TMS-9900

buddylee said:
Sure does I took very good care of it over the years.

Your sitting on a goldmine...

I don't hold onto old computers for very long. My oldest computer is an MSI GT70. Even its been retired to office use only.

TRS-80! Hey ... find me ANYTHING that can run on 4-AA batteries for a whole week.
I also have several working examples of other fun old computers. Some favorites are listed below:
SGI Indy w/IRIX 5.3
SGI Indy w/IRIX 6.5.x?
SGI Challenge S w/IRIX 6.5
Sun Enterprise 3500
Sun SparcStation 5/170
Sun Ultra Enterprise 2
Sun IPX
Sun Ultra 5
Sun Ultra 20
Sun Ultra w2100z
Sun Enterprise 4500
HP 710/30
DEC AlphaStation 6100
IBM AS/400

I've been in IT a long time. I have 'stuff' ...

Although it is not a computer, I still have my Texas Instruments TI-58C "Programmable" Calculator, and it still works.

I did refit it to run on 2 "C" Batteries.

C64s were great! I never had one though. I had & still do have working Atari systems.
The VIC 20 was a lotta fun... and I still have fond memories of Amiga's Video Toast software.
I think I might still have a Ti-85 somewhere. I played games on it (thanks to it's BASIC interpreter)
and dang near flunked algebra I.

I suspect there may still be a working Pentium-based laptop someplace in the attic, that still has Windoze 95 A factory installed.
That was the last windows laptop I purchased. I've had Linux & UNIX laptops since, including a few VERY nice SPARC laptops.
Gosh I miss those (company provided, couldn't keep). There were some ruggedized/MIL-SPEC laptops over the years, but again I was not allowed to keep.
A few of those laptops cost over 30k, back in those days!

It may not qualify as a "computer" ... but the network IS the computer, and I have a small mountian of network hardware, too.
Old Cisco, newer old Cisco, Netscreen, Nokia, HP, Hummingbird, ADC, TellLabs, KDC, TelTrend, 3Com, US Robotics, Ascend (not pipeline 85s, MAXs & TNTs). Some of the older Arrowpoint "Content Switches", Foundry, McData, Brocade ... I should have a sidewalk-sale!

i have a compaq laptop from 95 and a compaq desktop from 94. still collecting over time whatever i can get my hands on lol

I'm honestly not sure which of my two oldest is actually the oldest. I know they were manufactured the same year but don't know the exact manufacturing dates any longer. Sadly they're in a storage unit about a 8 hour drive away at the moment so I can't check.

In that storage unit I have both a Commodore VIC-20 with a still functional tape drive and Texas Instruments whose model number I can't remember that also the original tape drive still fully functional as well. I keep well protected. They're wrapped in antistatic bags inside individual plastic tubs for each part which are packed into larger tubs containing everything for each computer separately.

I also have a working Apple IIe in that storage unit, complete with with both 5.25" and 3.5" floppy drives and maxed memory. When I get it out of storage I plan to hook it up to my phone line and make it pretend to be useful since I still have some BBS software for it :)

The oldest that I currently have is an Apple II+ from ~1979.

I also have a bunch of other Apple computers sitting around, including both revisions of the IIe, the original 128k, a Plus, SE, SE/30, IIfx, and lord knows how many from the 90s and on (Quadra, Centris, LC, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, so many models...)

I've also got a bunch of other notable machines, including an IBM 5150, Vic-20, Commodore 64, an Amiga 4000D with Video Toaster, etc.

Too bad I'm going to college next fall. I'll likely be selling *all* of my systems, as well as my retro-current video game collection...

*cries*

alfredanthony said:
TRS-80! Hey ... find me ANYTHING that can run on 4-AA batteries for a whole week.
I also have several working examples of other fun old computers. Some favorites are listed below:
SGI Indy w/IRIX 5.3
SGI Indy w/IRIX 6.5.x?
SGI Challenge S w/IRIX 6.5
Sun Enterprise 3500
Sun SparcStation 5/170
Sun Ultra Enterprise 2
Sun IPX
Sun Ultra 5
Sun Ultra 20
Sun Ultra w2100z
Sun Enterprise 4500
HP 710/30
DEC AlphaStation 6100
IBM AS/400

I've been in IT a long time. I have 'stuff' ...

Love it!!! I used to collect Sun workstations and servers. But they were huge and power hungry. When we moved into an apartment, I sold them all. I've always LOVED SGI workstations. Back when graphics hardware was solid and well-built. I still wish SGI would open-source Irix so someone could make an x86 port. Still the best graphics and media production platform I ever worked with.

- - - Updated - - -

I really would like to find a working AT&T 3B2/600 or higher. I used to work with them for the U.S. Air Force well into the early 2000s and although they were from the late 80s, they were the most stable UNIX systems EVER, being able to go years between reboots as long as you fsck'd the hard drives weekly or so.

Hmm. I don't know if an x86 port of IRIX would work well. Would likely end up like the Solaris 2.5 port to x86. Hardware support SUCKED! Golly!!!
Now the Solaris 2.5.1 port to Power, I dug that ALL the way to China.

Yes, most of those 1990s UNIX boxen ate power like a hungarian brontosaurus. I very, very briefly owned an AS/400, until I saw what running it for ONE MONTH did to my electric bill. HEYS to the NO!!!

Thankfully Nvidia graphics are the old SGI technology, so at least we have the neato graphics capabilities in Linux.
I have very, very fond memories of playing some SERIOUS SGI/Sun Doom & Quake tournaments among the engineering staff, back in those daze.

OH NO! The Boss! STOP+A!!!!

The family computer was about 3 and a 1/2 yrs old...I say was coz it blew up about two weeks ago - no kidding: loud pop, smoke, "Daisy Daisy" etc. (okay, one of those isn't true!). bms p.s of cors I'm working on a nu one now!

Dunno all of the specs, but all I remember is Pentium 60mhz(the model right after the 486)
4 mb memory, 100-120 mb HDD. VGA monitor, Win 95 I believe.

I had older before, but don't own them anymore.
They included a
Texas Instruments that hooked to a tv.
Also a 8088 (that I later upgraded to a low end 286)

Milko said:
What's the oldest computer any of you guys own? My oldest desktop is a 1983 model Commodore 64

I owned several Amigas/C64, got rid of em all. I seriously regret gifting away my A1200 though, it had an 68EC030 coprocessor with 8MB additional Fast-Ram and an IDE-Harddisk. From flipping the switch to a finished with booting Workbench, that beast needed four seconds. My current PC rig with SSD still needs 20 seconds. Go figure.
Today, these expansion cards are FREAKING EXPENSIVE!
An Amiga with that power CAN be emulated with WinUAE but nothing beats the real thing of course.

I wanted to put together an old gaming computer for DOS/Win95-Games with a 3dfx-card. Had everything put together but the mainboard didn't seem to like the Voodoo3 AGP card, I had bought. UNUSED! Gifted away all that stuff as well.
Just might have needed a different 3D-card. I wanted something without that friggin VGA-loop cable, thats why I chose a voodoo3. Back in the time, they were more compatible than the Banshees. Best bet would propably have been a nice S3 with a diamond monster 3D.

Nothing really old to show off here currently but I intend to create a retro gaming room in my basement. Already have grabbed a good tube television to hook up a C64, Amiga, SNES etc. Need a tube VGA display next.

There are very nice floppy disk emulators available for the C64. You stick them into the normal floppy port and the C64 reads everything from SD-card. Real retro fans might miss the sound, the seeking head makes. But floppy disks are rare and tend to die. :(
We need a solution for that as well.

StripesTheSkunk said:
The oldest that I currently have is an Apple II+ from ~1979.

I also have a bunch of other Apple computers sitting around, including both revisions of the IIe, the original 128k, a Plus, SE, SE/30, IIfx, and lord knows how many from the 90s and on (Quadra, Centris, LC, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, so many models...)

I've also got a bunch of other notable machines, including an IBM 5150, Vic-20, Commodore 64, an Amiga 4000D with Video Toaster, etc.

Too bad I'm going to college next fall. I'll likely be selling *all* of my systems, as well as my retro-current video game collection...

*cries*

If you need to get rid of a compact mac (128k, plus, se, or se/30), just message me.

oldest I own currently is a pentium 266, damn onboard gpu on it is fried tho, think it has something like 64 meg of ram and a 16 meg onboard gpu... dunno if my dad still has the ibm pcjr or not, that was a dinosaur !

BenTennyson said:
I owned several Amigas/C64, got rid of em all. I seriously regret gifting away my A1200 though, it had an 68EC030 coprocessor with 8MB additional Fast-Ram and an IDE-Harddisk. From flipping the switch to a finished with booting Workbench, that beast needed four seconds. My current PC rig with SSD still needs 20 seconds. Go figure.
Today, these expansion cards are FREAKING EXPENSIVE!
An Amiga with that power CAN be emulated with WinUAE but nothing beats the real thing of course.

I wanted to put together an old gaming computer for DOS/Win95-Games with a 3dfx-card. Had everything put together but the mainboard didn't seem to like the Voodoo3 AGP card, I had bought. UNUSED! Gifted away all that stuff as well.
Just might have needed a different 3D-card. I wanted something without that friggin VGA-loop cable, thats why I chose a voodoo3. Back in the time, they were more compatible than the Banshees. Best bet would propably have been a nice S3 with a diamond monster 3D.

Nothing really old to show off here currently but I intend to create a retro gaming room in my basement. Already have grabbed a good tube television to hook up a C64, Amiga, SNES etc. Need a tube VGA display next.

There are very nice floppy disk emulators available for the C64. You stick them into the normal floppy port and the C64 reads everything from SD-card. Real retro fans might miss the sound, the seeking head makes. But floppy disks are rare and tend to die. :(
We need a solution for that as well.

Ahh.. Amigas :)
I have an A500 (Can't post a pic it's under my bed at the moment) but I loved using it. Came with 2 A590 Hard Drives (with Quantam 20MB SCSI drives inside :).) I think I payed $150 for it. Bought it off eBay about 2 years ago. I wish I could still have it set up but there really isn't space in my room anymore (too much random junk lying around :) )

Wow I'm young!

I still use a Toshiba Satellite M45 from 2004. I would have said my 1999 Compaq desktop, but I think my parents have tossed it by now.

I salvaged the hard disk to use in another machine, and battery doesn't hold any charge. Yet, it seems to have a more consistent and longer-range wireless adapter (802.11g only) than my 2008 MacBook Pro (the one right before i7 :wallbash:).

It has a single core Intel Pentium M running at 1.6 something GHz, and is easily usable as an Internet access machine right now. 512 MB of RAM doesn't take you too far, however. I can run very light games and moderately heavy graphics programs (e.g. Minecraft at low settings, Inkscape). At least I can play vitetris!

Its display was remarkable on release day, at 15.4" and 1280*800 (16:10). Unfortunately, 720p video seems to stutter a bit.

Its original hard disk I'm using in another old laptop, but I salvaged an Xbox 360 HDD and installed Elementary OS "Luna" on it (basically a simpler, prettier version of Ubuntu).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back