Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oldest Computer you Own?

Cool Oldest Computer you Own?

What's the oldest computer any of you guys own? My oldest desktop is a 1983 model Commodore 64:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2732.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	23916
    And my oldest laptop is a 1991 Apple Macintosh PowerBook 160:

Name:	IMG_2733.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	23917
    Kind of thickness comparison to a 4th Generation iPod Touch. (I don't have any real modern laptops to compare it with):

Name:	IMG_2734.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	23918
    Post pictures of your oldest computer!

Well I don't have pictures but I can give you the specs of the oldest machine I have that runs, it was custom built back in the day.

Windows 95 OS
    Pentium Processor at 300 Mhz
    500 MB of ram across 4 ram sticks.
    5 GB Hdd
    16 MB graphics card (Sorry I dunno any model info or anything on it, I just know its a card with 16 MB of memory on it lol, honestly I don't even think it's really a graphics card. . . idk. Lol)
    It also has several other pci port type devices plugged into it that I can't identify, one I believe is a network card and the other has a printer/fax machine port on it that I can't identify.

Edit*: While I know the machine itself runs, I don't have any monitors that are compatible with it lol, so I can't power it up to verify any model information or anything. I have older machines but same story, no monitors that work with them, they all power up, but I don't know if they run properly or not. If you count ones that don't run I have an old machine with windows 1.0 installed on it lol.

Haha nice I tried using Windows 1.0 on one of my older DOS machines. it didn't recognise the HDD so I had to run it off the floppy disk.. Ugh it was REALLY slow and I couldn't save anything over like 10KB.. Ah how times have changed

My trusty Toshiba Satellite, I still use it nearly every day for writing stories and keeping graphs, it's truly an amazing machine that is more than capable of the best word processing.
    (Oh, and here's the specs):
    Microsoft Windows 98
    Intel Pentium III at 233mhz
    32 MegaByte EDO RAM
    2.1 Billion Byte Hard Disk Drive
    20X(Max) CD ROM Disk Drive
    All-In-One CD-ROM, Diskette, and Hard Drive
    12.1" Color Bright Dual Scan Display
    Xircom K56flex PC Card Modem

IBM stink pad 1g with xp on I use for my Chinese clone Ford IDS module and software

Ah, Toshiba Satellites. My very first computer I owned myself was a Satellite A70 or something. It has since broken a bit (screen is dying, HDD is slow and possible dying, battery is long gone, needs to be cleaned, one of the RAM sticks died). Yeah, it's been through the wars a bit..

The specs are something like:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Pentium 4 3.2GHz
    50GB TravelStar HDD
    512MB RAM
    DVD Drive (oh yeah, that's broken too)
    15" Screen

Name:	IMG_2739.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	23922Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2740.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	23923

Not quite as old as yours but yeah.. I really miss using it

I don't tend to keep old computers though now that I switched from desktop to laptop I probably will hold onto this laptop until it dies because it's portable and does not take up a lot of room like my previous desktops would have.

Well, I have an Atari 2600 from 1977, but if that doesn't count then my oldest computer would be the Tandy TRS-80 model 102 that my dad bought in 1986. It still works, however because the primary storage was battery-backed memory, and the battery has died several times over the years, the computer no longer has any of my old files on it. I do have printouts of several of the BASIC programs I wrote for it when I was a kid, though, so perhaps I'll re-enter one of those some day.

Funny anecdote: As I was pounding away furiously on the old 102's keyboard one day--sometime in the late 80's--the space bar literally flew off! One of the little plastic clasps underneath it had finally pooped out. I can't remember exactly how I did it, but I ended up tying the space bar back on with some kite string--which actually worked.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Milko View Post
    And my oldest laptop is a 1991 Apple Macintosh PowerBook 160:

Name:	IMG_2733.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	23917
    This brings back memories. I got a PowerBook 180--the grayscale version, not the "c"--just as I was heading off to college in the fall of 1994. When I later bought a Quadra 605, I sold the PB180 to my dad to help with my expenses. I believe he still has it, but I don't know what kind of shape it's in.
    Last edited by Cottontail; 05-May-2015 at 05:27.

my oldest computer that i had was win 98 but the oldest one i own now is my win xp..... sadly it died officially today

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    Well, I have an Atari 2600 from 1977, but if that doesn't count then my oldest computer would be the Tandy TRS-80 model 102 that my dad bought in 1986. It still works, however because the primary storage was battery-backed memory, and the battery has died several times over the years, the computer no longer has any of my old files on it. I do have printouts of several of the BASIC programs I wrote for it when I was a kid, though, so perhaps I'll re-enter one of those some day.

Funny anecdote: As I was pounding away furiously on the old 102's keyboard one day--sometime in the late 80's--the space bar literally flew off! One of the little plastic clasps underneath it had finally pooped out. I can't remember exactly how I did it, but I ended up tying the space bar back on with some kite string--which actually worked.

EDIT:

This brings back memories. I got a PowerBook 180--the grayscale version, not the "c"--just as I was heading off to college in the fall of 1994. When I later bought a Quadra 605, I sold the PB180 to my dad to help with my expenses. I believe he still has it, but I don't know what kind of shape it's in.
    Quadra, I haven't heard that word in at least a decade. Personally I've always been an apple user for web browsing and in depth stuff, but never for writing. My first mac was a Power Macintosh 6500/225 that my uncle won in a raffle when I was 5ish, he already had a mac so he gave it to us, Then as time went on I got both generations of iMac (G3 and G4). Over the years I have somehow managed to never lose any of these machines, although my power mac needs a new monitor and keyboard since my uncle needed those for his mac when we stopped using it.