Proper diaper measurements - do they include thighs? O.o

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuteshylaugh

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
I am in the process of losing a good amount of weight. I am 6'1 232 currently, used to be 290 5 years ago, so slow and steady is winning the race.

However, my waist size- measured proper at belly button = 48"
My hip size, measured below stomach= 42"

I wear underwear size XL, in the 40-42" range.

However, I'm having trouble finding the perfect diaper fit.

I can wear standard Taped Depends Large fairly perfect as the fit, but as we know that's not a very good diaper, and not very comfy.

I can wear an Attends Large six-tape plastic diaper very comfortable around the waist and thighs but the issue I have with those is - holy moly they go up VERY high lol.... much too high to not be quite hot during the day, and even night.

Attends Medium six-tape plastic diaper goes up the perfect height, but only the top two tapes close. If I try to close the bottom tape, I can do it if I try but the tapes occasionally rip, and even if they close, my thighs end up pinched, resulting in red lines and pain after about 20 minutes, so I just need to lose a lot more weight.

My thighs are at the top, where largest (fattest, sadly) are 30" !!

Is there a diaper you may suggest that I may fit in best for now?

I think over more time as I lose more weight, that will be key in a comfy fit long-term but for now I'm so bummed and trying to find that fit for the time being.

I've bought a very wide variety of diapers (available in the USA) and can say without a doubt that the measurements most manufacturers provide are the width the diaper tapes can fit around. The problem this creates is people naturally expect it to be the same as the waist size, since this is how pants and underwear are measured. These are NOT the same measurement.

The problem is that the pant measurement is the "belt line", where your belt goes to hold your pants up. The reason the belt stays there is because that is the narrowest part of your waist. This is fine for the upper tapes, because those go around your belt-line, to keep your diaper from sliding down. But the lowers are going to require several more inches to go around. (unless you need suspenders because belts don't work for you, ya beanpoles!) Since the lower and upper tapes are in the same place, this by itself adds about 3" to the distance the lower tapes need to go AROUND. Women tend to have wiider hips than men, making this problem worse.

And that brings up the second problem. Because your diaper is flat, and needs to close in at your crotch, this will tend to make the lower tapes (and the lower sides of the front wings) pull in a bit. Diapers that are closer to your "correct size" will be affected more than diapers that are oversize for you because they don't come up as far before they have to go out. So add another 1-3 inches there on the lower tapes.

A fair starting point is to take whatever measurements they list, and subtract about 4 inches. So if it says it will fit 22-36", it really fits 18-32" of pant size. Of course this amount varies by person and whether the diaper in question is longer than it needs to be, and women will need to add another inch or three. But for me, 4" is a good amount to subtract.

I happen to have some NorthShore and Confidry mediums, which fit me very similarly. The top tapes easily make it around to the front wing, covering a good 4" of material on the wing before landing. The bottom tapes however BARELY make it to the lower corners of the front wings, and it's a tight fit. But go to a confidry large, and there's only about an inch of difference instead of four, because the wings can come up a lot farther when heading outward.

Reactions: Trevor
JUST read this on a reseller page:

LARGE fits waist/hip (measure whichever is larger) size 36" - 52"

"whichever is larger"? what do these people think our bodies are shaped like??? upside-down bowling pins?

bambinod said:
"whichever is larger"? what do these people think our bodies are shaped like??? upside-down bowling pins?

...although if your body is shaped like an upside-down bowling pin--and some are--then you're kinda screwed. Make sure those suspenders are clipped to your pants and your diaper!

If we were nominating measurements for the "Most Important Measurement That Diaper Companies Seldom Give You" award, though, I'd nominate "rise". I've tossed out far too many diapers over the years that were wide enough to fasten around my hips, but not long enough to ride on top of them properly--to actually reach my "belt line." So frustrating.

cuteshylaugh said:
My hip size, measured below stomach= 42"

I wear underwear size XL, in the 40-42" range.

Sounds like you are measuring yourself in the wrong place.
I know "hip" measurements aren't really a guys clothes thing and that your sizes all seem to go by your waist size. like your underwear above.

Your "Hip" measurement is the widest part of your hips. and that is somewhere about half way between your bellybutton and where your inseam starts (I'm guessing here as it may be a bit different for guys). :)
Anyways, Turn sideways, in front of a mirror, put that tape around the biggest (most extended outward) part of your butt make it level and then bring in around the front. Ta Da you now have your proper Hip measurement.

Hah! I was indeed measuring the wrong area for "hips" Mandybear. Many thanks!

Hip size as you had me measure was 45"

My thighs are still of concern as they are seemingly the part of my body that stores fat, even moreso than my stomach... but I'm losing weight still :) Woohoo! More Veggies, No Junk Food, and a little exercise really works, imagine that lol :)

That being said, The large Attends seem to be just the best fit for now, I just with there was a diaper the size of the Large Attends, but that simply didn't come so far up my chest lol ! So hot when sleeping !

cuteshylaugh said:
Hah! I was indeed measuring the wrong area for "hips" Mandybear. Many thanks! Hip size as you had me measure was 45"

I just with there was a diaper the size of the Large Attends, but that simply didn't come so far up my chest lol ! So hot when sleeping !

No Problem Cuteshy!

Yes for us hips are a VERY important measurement for a lot of our clothes, lol.

As far as the diapers though, I've run into the same problem with them being so high on me too.
My usual brand stopped selling my size and I have had to size up while looking for a replacement. :(

But what I do is fold the back of the diaper down to where the padding starts and then do the same for the front when I tape them up.
Doing this helps lower the rise enough for them to be comfortable for me, but it also means that the top tapes, mine have 3, can't always be used. I fix that with 2 inch wide white cloth/fabric medical tape. Not the cheapest, but it is strong as heck.
But I guess you can use whatever kind of tape you have available. :)

I've had no problems at night with the front or back of the diaper leaking on me doing this as the top is folded over inside the diaper. Bad thing is though that the plastic backing is now against your skin, but that's what baby powder is for :)
I would rather have wear a diaper with a shorter rise because in the end it is way more comfy and doing this doesn't make you sweat any more then normal.
(Correction - for the record - Girls do not sweat ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back